This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jgraz2

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, it's coming down to that time of year again. Currently waiting in limbo for the word back from various DPT program
s. I was not accepted into any programs last year. Since then, I have taken an additional course as well as boosting my Physics I grade from a C to an A. Basically what I'm asking here is what are my odds of getting into some of these schools I applied to. I'm getting very anxious (maybe nervous) of when/what will be the word on my admission. I'm 24 years old, going to be 25 this year and I cannot see myself being anything other than a PT. Here are the schools I applied to, along with my current grades. I appreciate any opinions/help. Thank you!

Elon (currently Waitlisted for an interview)
Nazareth
U of Sciences Philly
Virginia Commonwealth
Mary Baldwin College/Murphy Deming College of Health Sciences
Marymount University
Wheeling Jesuit University
Clarkson University (2nd time applying. Was told my denial last year was because of my Physics grade)
Saint Francis University
A few more to come

Grades According to PTCAS:
UnderGrad Cumulative - 3.24
Post Baccalaureate - 3.95
Total - 3.33

This is what is making me nervous. In A&P I, Chem II, and Physics I, I replaced all of my low grades with a B, B- and A. Those low grades are still factored in to the totals below. I would like to think that this was enough to get in.

Combined Science and Math 2.85
Science 2.66
Self-reported PT Prerequisite GPA 3.25

Members don't see this ad.

You already applied, so hearing what your odds are is kind of pointless....hopefully you get in but if you dont and PT is what you truly want to do then start thinking about how you can FURTHER strengthen your resume for next year.
Some suggestions include getting more experience at various settings and getting As in A&P and Chem. Also, if you dont get in, use the extra year to save more money for when you finally do go to PT school. Good luck!

I won't lie to you....retaking a class and getting a B and B- is not a great sign to me. On your second time through at an undergrad level, you need an A. The level of PT anatomy is many times harder and you still generally need a B- to pass (varies by school). The physics retake was a smart move. It's ok if you have previous low grades as long as you get amazing grades on retakes.

You also didn't post your GRE scores or if you have enough obs hours. Those are big factors for schools.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Understandable. I will say though, my one retake was in my sophomore year, and the second retake was my junior year with probably my hardest semester of classes. Not sure if that gets taken into consideration. Also, my movement science grades came to a 3.85, which includes a kinesiology course that I received an A in. This class was almost completely made up of musculoskeletal anatomy. Again, not sure if they take that into account. Also my GRE scores came to a 152 math, 150 verbal and 4.0 written

Understandable. I will say though, my one retake was in my sophomore year, and the second retake was my junior year with probably my hardest semester of classes. Not sure if that gets taken into consideration. Also, my movement science grades came to a 3.85, which includes a kinesiology course that I received an A in. This class was almost completely made up of musculoskeletal anatomy. Again, not sure if they take that into account. Also my GRE scores came to a 152 math, 150 verbal and 4.0 written
Also over 120 hours of obsvervation

So, it's coming down to that time of year again. Currently waiting in limbo for the word back from various DPT program
s. I was not accepted into any programs last year. Since then, I have taken an additional course as well as boosting my Physics I grade from a C to an A. Basically what I'm asking here is what are my odds of getting into some of these schools I applied to. I'm getting very anxious (maybe nervous) of when/what will be the word on my admission. I'm 24 years old, going to be 25 this year and I cannot see myself being anything other than a PT. Here are the schools I applied to, along with my current grades. I appreciate any opinions/help. Thank you!

Elon (currently Waitlisted for an interview)
Nazareth
U of Sciences Philly
Virginia Commonwealth
Mary Baldwin College/Murphy Deming College of Health Sciences
Marymount University
Wheeling Jesuit University
Clarkson University (2nd time applying. Was told my denial last year was because of my Physics grade)
Saint Francis University
A few more to come

Grades According to PTCAS:
UnderGrad Cumulative - 3.24
Post Baccalaureate - 3.95
Total - 3.33

This is what is making me nervous. In A&P I, Chem II, and Physics I, I replaced all of my low grades with a B, B- and A. Those low grades are still factored in to the totals below. I would like to think that this was enough to get in.

Combined Science and Math 2.85
Science 2.66
Self-reported PT Prerequisite GPA 3.25

I just don't get this. Who can't see themselves being anything other than a PT and then retakes a class that is crucial to PT school acceptance and doesn't get an A? How does that convey to an admissions board that you can handle the increase in academic demand that PT school will provide?

I just don't get this. Who can't see themselves being anything other than a PT and then retakes a class that is crucial to PT school acceptance and doesn't get an A? How does that convey to an admissions board that you can handle the increase in academic demand that PT school will provide?
You know, I was asking for advice, not criticism. Like I just stated in my previous post, I retook those courses early(er) in my college career. I did not know exactly what I wanted to do with my life at that point, and I was retaking the courses just to get my degree. Thanks for all the help people

Reactions: 1 user
You definitely need to boost your science gpa. It should be at least a 3.0. You need to get an A in anatomy to be competitive. Raising your prereq gpa will also help. You should also try to get more observation hours in different settings. The more settings you've been in, the more competitive your application. I would say that the most important thing you absolutely need to do is get A's in your science courses.

They won't take that into consideration.

No, sadly it's not very important that you retook the class in a hard semester. That won't be a factor. You still need to get great grades on the retake. It's better you hear this now then be surprised at admission time. And no, movement science (surprisingly) is not a factor for most schools. Kinesiology is not a pre req for most schools so they won't even look at it. Insert my personal story: I had a 4.0 from a Kinesiology Masters program and was still rejected my first time applying. I went back to community college and retook a ton of pre reqs to get As (Anatomy, physics, english, psychology) and that made all the difference to get in. Kinesiology is not generally considered a "hard science" out of undergrad....for admission purposes, at most schools, it's viewed the same as any other random class (poli sci, music).

I do hope you get in somewhere this year. But, if you don't, the reasons are pretty clear. The schools are worried you won't pass their classes. Make it your personal mission to prove to them you can handle very heavy academic loads and get great grades.

You know, I was asking for advice, not criticism. Like I just stated in my previous post, I retook those courses early(er) in my college career. I did not know exactly what I wanted to do with my life at that point, and I was retaking the courses just to get my degree. Thanks for all the help people
I provided a critique of your application as well as the excuses you provided for it being less than satisfactory. As you can see from the above posts, you need better grades. Period. Take the science pre-requisites again. Get A's. Destroy the GRE.

I realize this isn't the acceptances thread, but I want you (Jgraz2) and others with low stats to see you're not alone! I'm sitting on my hands and pulling out my hair waiting for news to come in!

University: Mount Holyoke
Major: Sociology
Undergrad GPA 3.11
Overall cumulative GPA (PTCAS): 2.989
Pre-Req GPA: 2.8 (PTCAS) but as high as 3.404 for another school
sGPA 2.9
Last 60 Hours: 2.57
GRE: 162 V 152 Q 4.0 A

Work: Non-Trad student, 8 years working as a personal trainer. I worked full-time while completing pre-reqs and this shows.
Observation Hours: 60 (and counting) outpatient orthopedic,10 pediatrics, 25 inpatient, 5 Orthopedic Outpatient (Abroad), 7 Aqua therapy
Volunteer: Humane Society 2 hour/week average

Applied:
Regis, Arcadia, MGH IHP, UMass Lowell, Nova Southeastern, NYMC, Seton Hall, Widener, University of Sciences Philadelphia, Stonybrook University, The Sage Colleges, Alvernia, DeSales, MCPHS, TJU (most likely more to come)
Interviews: none
Wait listed: none
Acceptances: none
Rejections:
UMass Lowell, Regis

I realize this isn't the acceptances thread, but I want you (Jgraz2) and others with low stats to see you're not alone! I'm sitting on my hands and pulling out my hair waiting for news to come in!

University: Mount Holyoke
Major: Sociology
Undergrad GPA 3.11
Overall cumulative GPA (PTCAS): 2.989
Pre-Req GPA: 2.8 (PTCAS) but as high as 3.404 for another school
sGPA 2.9
Last 60 Hours: 2.57
GRE: 162 V 152 Q 4.0 A

Work: Non-Trad student, 8 years working as a personal trainer. I worked full-time while completing pre-reqs and this shows.
Observation Hours: 60 (and counting) outpatient orthopedic,10 pediatrics, 25 inpatient, 5 Orthopedic Outpatient (Abroad), 7 Aqua therapy
Volunteer: Humane Society 2 hour/week average

Applied:
Regis, Arcadia, MGH IHP, UMass Lowell, Nova Southeastern, NYMC, Seton Hall, Widener, University of Sciences Philadelphia, Stonybrook University, The Sage Colleges, Alvernia, DeSales, MCPHS, TJU (most likely more to come)
Interviews: none
Wait listed: none
Acceptances: none
Rejections:
UMass Lowell, Regis

Hey have you heard back from Seton Hall or Arcadia yet?

Hey have you heard back from Seton Hall or Arcadia yet?
Hello, no I haven't heard back from those schools yet. Arcadia is big reach for anyone, but I think they look well upon applicants from my undergrad. Seton is less competitive so I do hope they at least look at my app.

Also, my movement science grades came to a 3.85, which includes a kinesiology course that I received an A in. This class was almost completely made up of musculoskeletal anatomy. Again, not sure if they take that into account.

Unfortunately the answer is no, 95% of schools will treat these classes just the same as if you had done well in Finger Painting 213 and Eastern European Philosophy 345. Schools have to use objective criteria that can be applied equally to every candidate, or the selection process would require an overwhelming amount of resources. These criteria generally are cumulative GPA, pre-requisite GPA (and rarely science GPA), GRE scores, amount and (more importantly) diversity of observation experience, and interview scores (which may be influenced by subjective elements such as essays/personal statements, volunteer experiences, etc). Look at the application process from the perspective of: "If this element of my application had to be somehow entered numerically into an Excel spreadsheet, could it be? And if so, what to I need to do to have a higher number than other applicants in this category". Different schools weight different elements differently, and many schools place heavy weight on interview scores which can be a boon to those with lower academic stats. A couple of programs I interviewed at only use the hard numbers to determine who will get interviewed, then the interviewer looks at the other elements of your application, as well as your interview performance, and give you a score. This number is used to determine who gets in. Again though, this is highly variable school to school. At the end of the day however who gets accepted and who does not unfortunately comes down to a numbers game and not a philosophical discussion of which applicant is most worthy.

Has anyone applied to PT school vía PTCAS and had an in-planned GRE for the next month? What is the process there? do they look at your app?