Pictures of the Week

Started by Epidural
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Screen Shot 2018-12-03 at 12.54.11 PM.png



Axial back pain, chronic. 60 y/o female. HLA B27 neg. PMH: DM, HTN. No h/o CA. No prior back surgery.
DISH variant? Getting CT ordered. Any idea what is going on here?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I would like to see C-spine/hand films as well. I assume you'll be checking labs for Ca/Phos/PTH?
 
Really pretty contrast spread on a CESI (contralateral oblique approach, nice posterior epidural spread but saw some little wisps going anterior so I grabbed an AP too - you can see it highlighting the nerve roots, especially on the left).
 

Attachments

  • D32CFFCB-C482-463B-B3A3-781D01C59D7F.jpeg
    D32CFFCB-C482-463B-B3A3-781D01C59D7F.jpeg
    277.7 KB · Views: 201
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'll be draining this thing in a few days. Looking fwd to it too. Left THR with 12 months of nonradiating, mechanical iliopsoas pain. Fluid pocket is 5cm x 2cm. Should help this guy significantly.
 

Attachments

  • 20181219_160558.jpg
    20181219_160558.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 157
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
View attachment 248351 View attachment 248352

Referral for new patient. Dropped off mri ahead of visit. Had scs trial elsewhere. MRI when they could not get wires in. Asked me to retrial. No thanks.

And that’s why all my patients get thoracic MRIs before the trial. A surgeon would never cut without imaging and we would never inject without imaging. Never made sense why that all went out the window when it came to stim.
 
Random one but I get EMG referrals. This was a weird case because the patient was referred twice within 3 weeks. First referral for new onset LUE painless weakness followed by second for new onset LLE painless weakness. I sent him to the ER. Passed away 9 months later. Metastatic renal cell.

CTH.jpg


MRI brain.jpg
 
Done by Neurosurgeon at Emory. I recommended against it. Patient no better.
One lead supraorbital, 1 lead through foramen ovale and an inch into brain.
Gasserian RF trajectory with a 14G Tuohy and leaving a wire is more than I imagine reasonable.
Offered SCS over C2 in the canal for her primary V2 right sided pain.
 
Done by Neurosurgeon at Emory. I recommended against it. Patient no better.
One lead supraorbital, 1 lead through foramen ovale and an inch into brain.
Gasserian RF trajectory with a 14G Tuohy and leaving a wire is more than I imagine reasonable.
Offered SCS over C2 in the canal for her primary V2 right sided pain.

Did the pain pattern change as that seems like overkill for V2? I'm sure they already offered to drop Nevro percs at C1/C2 for HF10 to the nucleus caudalis to fix all things above the neck.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
42 yo M with just under 3 weeks of severe right leg pain. Driving home one day from work (desk job) and right leg started hurting, then couldn't get out of his car. No medical history. Gainfully employed. Wants to get back to work but does not tolerate even minimal ROM of the leg or weight bearing.

IM Toradol, Medrol dose pack, gabapentin, home exercise regimen, follow up in 3 weeks. Will MRI if no better.

I kept thinking I saw fracture but I'm not so sure. That L4-5 disk has seen better days.
 

Attachments

  • 20190227_141048.jpg
    20190227_141048.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:
42 yo M with just under 3 weeks of severe right leg pain. Driving home one day from work (desk job) and right leg started hurting, then couldn't get out of his car. No medical history. Gainfully employed. Wants to get back to work but does not tolerate even minimal ROM of the leg or weight bearing.

IM Toradol, Medrol dose pack, gabapentin, home exercise regimen, follow up in 3 weeks. Will MRI if no better.

I kept thinking I saw fracture but I'm not so sure. That L4-5 disk has seen better days.

MRI now. Cant get out of car is red flag enough for me.
 
42 yo M with just under 3 weeks of severe right leg pain. Driving home one day from work (desk job) and right leg started hurting, then couldn't get out of his car. No medical history. Gainfully employed. Wants to get back to work but does not tolerate even minimal ROM of the leg or weight bearing.

IM Toradol, Medrol dose pack, gabapentin, home exercise regimen, follow up in 3 weeks. Will MRI if no better.

I kept thinking I saw fracture but I'm not so sure. That L4-5 disk has seen better days.
The posterior inferior L4 body looks... weird. I’d agree with MRI now too. Definitely enough on physical exam to justify to insurance. Reflexes normal and bowel/bladder normal I assume?
 
The posterior inferior L4 body looks... weird. I’d agree with MRI now too. Definitely enough on physical exam to justify to insurance. Reflexes normal and bowel/bladder normal I assume?

Posterior L4 is what I was talking about as looking possibly like fracture, but probably just shadow and bony overlay. The getting out of the car thing was exclusively pain related and not neuromuscular. Reflexes are 2+. No bowel or bladder issues.
 
42 yo M with just under 3 weeks of severe right leg pain. Driving home one day from work (desk job) and right leg started hurting, then couldn't get out of his car. No medical history. Gainfully employed. Wants to get back to work but does not tolerate even minimal ROM of the leg or weight bearing.

IM Toradol, Medrol dose pack, gabapentin, home exercise regimen, follow up in 3 weeks. Will MRI if no better.

I kept thinking I saw fracture but I'm not so sure. That L4-5 disk has seen better days.

ALIF time