Plagarism on acceptance to med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

justlive1998

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm a biology pre-med student who really wants to be a doctor. Because of my aspirations I have always wanted my college grades to be high and unfortunately I took it too far. In my general chemistry lab we had to write weekly lab reports and your grade in the class depends on the TA you have. Unfortunately my TA was a harsh grader and I went to office hours to get help but my grades in the class were not improving. I decided to get help from a friend who took the class and did well before and used her lab reports to model mine. My intent was not to plagarize at all but I was going through a tough time with my mom having brain surgery and being so obsessed with getting an A that I took it too far and that was no excuse. My professor found out and I met her and I signed a disposition form and accepted the sanctions without denying the charges and was given an F for the lab which is 2 credits. I admitted to my mistakes and apologized to the professor and expressed my remorse because i still am truly sorry and embarrased for what I have done. My GPA as of now is a 3.65 but I believe by the time I apply it will go up to 3.8~ and i have not taken the MCAT yet but I am volunteering and shadowing a lot as well as being involved in organizations. My school does not put academic dishonesty charges on transcripts but I think it will be put on my record. Do i have a chance for med school? By the way I am currently a sophomore in my second semester.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Yes, your chances just dropped

How do you propose going from a 3.6 to 3.8?

Reactions: 1 users
Well I'm taking more classes in the next few years and I am retaking the failed class. I have seen other similar posts where people have been in the same position I have been but in the applications and interviews they talked about how they have improved after this and what they have learned and done to change. I plan on talking to my dean and also joining my school's conduct advisory committee so that I can teach others to not make the same mistakes I made.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I don't think it's an absolute death sentence, but it will certainly hurt and could likely get you screened out of many schools. Regardless of whether or not your school puts it on the record, you will have to report it on AMCAS. I think that the best thing to do is put as much time between this and your application as possible and hope for the best. By the way, to get your GPA to a 3.8 you would basically have to get a 4.0 for the rest of college. So that might not be the best thing to bank on.

Reactions: 1 user
Well, I don't think it's an absolute death sentence, but it will certainly hurt and could likely get you screened out of many schools. Regardless of whether or not your school puts it on the record, you will have to report it on AMCAS. I think that the best thing to do is put as much time between this and your application as possible and hope for the best. By the way, to get your GPA to a 3.8 you would basically have to get a 4.0 for the rest of college. So that might not be the best thing to bank on.
Like I said previously, from other people who've had similar experiences, I heard that in their applications they talked honestly about what happened and how they have learned from thr experience and changed for the better and med schools do like that. Is that true?

You didn't "take it too far". You cheated from the moment you laid your eyes on your friend's former lab report. Having integrity and character means doing the right thing DESPITE obstacles. If having a tough grader is enough to derail you from your morals, how do think you will hold up integrity as a physician. I took a lab course in ochem once and we had online pre-labs. The problems were so insanely difficult that I got 40% on the pre-labs, even though so many others were getting 90% just by googling the problems. I ended up getting a B- in the class. But the risk and damage from cheating is over a million times worse than a B-, or even a C- for that matter. The point is that having integrity and character means doing the right thing no matter what. The reason I am saying this is that you've got it all wrong. By using the phrase "took it too far" you are inherently saying that it was ok to "borrow" someone's report in the first place. But there is absolutely no justification to prove that doing such a thing it ok.

Advice from @gonnif would be excellent in a situation like this

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Do NOT blame the TA's harsh grading on your shortcomings or your decision to plagiarize.

You didn't "take it too far". You CHEATED from the moment you laid your eyes on your friend's former lab report.

Having integrity and character means doing the right thing DESPITE obstacles. If having a tough grader is enough to derail you from your morals, how do think you will hold up integrity as a physician. I took a lab course in ochem once and we had online pre-labs. The problems were so insanely difficult that I got 40% on the pre-labs, even though so many others were getting 90% just by googling the problems. I ended up getting a B- in the class. But the risk and damage from cheating is over a million times worse than a B-, or even a C- for that matter. The point is that having integrity and character means doing the right thing no matter what.
I understand that and I absolutely agree with you. I am not the type of person who ever cheats or plagarizes so this is extremely embarrasing for me. I am also not blaming the TA because she's just doing her job but I am embarrased by my own actions, however you belitting me in your post does not help me in deciding in further steps for my career. Constructive criticism would be more helpful.

You didn't "take it too far". You cheated from the moment you laid your eyes on your friend's former lab report. Having integrity and character means doing the right thing DESPITE obstacles. If having a tough grader is enough to derail you from your morals, how do think you will hold up integrity as a physician. I took a lab course in ochem once and we had online pre-labs. The problems were so insanely difficult that I got 40% on the pre-labs, even though so many others were getting 90% just by googling the problems. I ended up getting a B- in the class. But the risk and damage from cheating is over a million times worse than a B-, or even a C- for that matter. The point is that having integrity and character means doing the right thing no matter what. The reason I am saying this is that you've got it all wrong. By using the phrase "took it too far" you are inherently saying that it was ok to "borrow" someone's report in the first place. But there is absolutely no justification to prove that doing such a thing it ok.

Although I get your point make sure as a doctor not to worry about plagiarizing by using Google or other doctors to help save a patient :p

(I've actually seen a doctor using Google to find some reference papers for something in nuclear medicine though I don't remember exactly what lol)

I understand that and I absolutely agree with you. I am not the type of person who ever cheats or plagarizes so this is extremely embarrasing for me. I am also not blaming the TA because she's just doing her job but I am embarrased by my own actions, however you belitting me in your post does not help me in deciding in further steps for my career. Constructive criticism would be more helpful.
but you are, by definition now, the type of person who cheats or plagiarizes...

Reactions: 6 users
but you are, by definition now, the type of person who cheats or plagiarizes...
That's what I am saying. I am now that person that I thought I would never be and I am ashamed.

I'm not belittling you.

Your original post makes it crystal clear that you think it's ok to take someone's lab report. It shows that you think that the only mistake you made is not being careful enough whereas the mistake you made was taking someone's work in the first place.

Solving the problem you're in first requires you to understand where you went wrong.

Although I get your point make sure as a doctor not to worry about plagiarizing by using Google or other doctors to help save a patient :p

(I've actually seen a doctor using Google to find some reference papers for something in nuclear medicine though I don't remember exactly what lol)

Lol solving ochem problems as an undergrad and crafting a research paper as a medical doctor have quite different codes of ethics :D

Had a friend do something very similar when he was a freshman. He learned from his mistake and killed it college. Put together a strong app with a board school list even with the IA. He's got five US MD acceptances so far. Its not over but you got an uphill battle.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not belittling you.

Your original post makes it crystal clear that you think it's ok to take someone's lab report. It shows that you think that the only mistake you made is not being careful enough whereas the mistake you made was taking someone's work in the first place.

Solving the problem you're in first requires you to understand where you went wrong.
No, i am absolutely do not think its okay to copy someone's report and my intent was not to do so but to see how my friend wrote it in terms of formatting. I don't even know how to explain why I did it but maybe it was because I was so frustrated in the class and thats no excuse I know. I'm just really depressed because I feel like my dream of becoming a doctor are over and idk what to do now.

The issue with any kind of record of you cheating (and even if there isn't a record, you would have to explain why you got the F) is that it makes adcoms wonder if you cheated in other classes also but just didn't get caught. I think you can probably still get in with enough time in between and doing something to show you changed as a person, but it certainly does drop your chances.

Reactions: 5 users
The issue with any kind of record of you cheating (and even if there isn't a record, you would have to explain why you got the F) is that it makes adcoms wonder if you cheated in other classes also but just didn't get caught. I think you can probably still get in with enough time in between and doing something to show you changed as a person, but it certainly does drop your chances.
I plan on being upfront and honest and like you said showing that I have learned from my mistakes by joining the student advisory committee at my school so that I can teach others to not make the same mistakes I did. I'm just really depressed because this was the career that I picked and I really want and idk what to do if i don't get in.

I plan on being upfront and honest and like you said showing that I have learned from my mistakes by joining the student advisory committee at my school so that I can teach others to not make the same mistakes I did. I'm just really depressed because this was the career that I picked and I really want and idk what to do if i don't get in.
Yeah, I don't think it will kill your chances, but make sure to take up on some clubs or committee that shows that the you of now is different from the you of the past. Then when asked later, you can talk about how you learned from your mistakes.

I'm sorry about my aggressiveness before. I didn't mean to be overbearing. With regards to your situation, it's not the end of the world. Don't panic. Just give yourself some time to bring yourself back up. The most important thing to do is just think about what you did and, most importantly, be comfortable and accepting of the fact that it will be a very long time before you'll be able to apply to med school with good results. Once you reflect on your past and accept the obstacles in your future, you'll be better able to move on in life. But right now, you just have to relax until your mind and subconscious get's over the shock of what has happened and accepts the future. Right now it's time to stop trying to find ways to "fix" what has happened. It'll take a long time to fix it and the answer won't come to you so soon.

You're welcome to PM me if you want to talk about anything else that bothers you. I'm here for you :)

I'm sorry about my aggressiveness before. I didn't mean to be overbearing. With regards to your situation, it's not the end of the world. Don't panic. Just give yourself some time to bring yourself back up. The most important thing to do is just think about what you did and, most importantly, be comfortable and accepting of the fact that it will be a very long time before you'll be able to apply to med school with good results. Once you reflect on your past and accept the obstacles in your future, you'll be better able to move on in life. But right now, you just have to relax until your mind and subconscious get's over the shock of what has happened and accepts the future. Right now it's time to stop trying to find ways to "fix" what has happened. It'll take a long time to fix it and the answer won't come to you so soon.

You're welcome to PM me if you want to talk about anything else that bothers you. I'm here for you :)
Thanks so much and sorry for my agressiveness as well. I haven't been having a good few months. I've been really slipping into a bad depression and I haven't told my parents about my situation because I feel guilty since they are paying for my education and i am the first person in the family to go to a college in the US and they have such high hopes for me. Support is appreciated.

What's done is done. There is no use reminiscing. Just make sure to keep a clean record from now on and go from here. If asked about it on the interview trail, make sure to own up to it and mention how you changed...that shows maturity and that you have learned from it. Adcoms are people too and people make mistakes.

Have a plan B. It sounds like you're taking the right approach with trying to improve yourself and show that this is not who you are. However, that does not mean you will get in right away, or even at all. Even if you didn't have an IA, you should have a back-up plan anyway. If you don't get in right away, have a plan where you can work for a year or two while you re-apply if it's what you really want. There are plenty of paths to med school, some longer than others. Just do what you can, keep working, and most importantly don't screw up again.

Have a plan B. It sounds like you're taking the right approach with trying to improve yourself and show that this is not who you are. However, that does not mean you will get in right away, or even at all. Even if you didn't have an IA, you should have a back-up plan anyway. If you don't get in right away, have a plan where you can work for a year or two while you re-apply if it's what you really want. There are plenty of paths to med school, some longer than others. Just do what you can, keep working, and most importantly don't screw up again.
Are there any other health related careers besides becoming a physician that can be done with a BS in biology?

Just to specify I had from my friend and had "high similarity score" for 3 of my lab reports. Although i didn't blatantly copy her lab report I did use some phrases here and there which IS STILL CONSIDERED PLAGARISM. I don't why i did something so stupid but maybe it was because i was so frustrated in the class and was obsessed with getting a good grade that i didn't see the consequences. I also think that before I thought that what I was doing wasn't wrong but now I know what I did was bad and wrong and I plan to use this as a learning experience to never repeat this mistake.

Last edited:
Hi, I'm a biology pre-med student who really wants to be a doctor. Because of my aspirations I have always wanted my college grades to be high and unfortunately I took it too far. In my general chemistry lab we had to write weekly lab reports and your grade in the class depends on the TA you have. Unfortunately my TA was a harsh grader and I went to office hours to get help but my grades in the class were not improving. I decided to get help from a friend who took the class and did well before and used her lab reports to model mine. My intent was not to plagarize at all but I guess I was so obsessed with getting an A that I took it too far. My professor found out and I met her and I signed a disposition form and accepted the sanctions without denying the charges and was given an F for the lab which is 2 credits. I admitted to my mistakes and apologized to the professor and expressed my remorse because i still am truly sorry and embarrased for what I have done. My GPA as of now is a 3.65 but I believe by the time I apply it will go up to 3.8~ and i have not taken the MCAT yet but I am volunteering and shadowing a lot as well as being involved in organizations. My school does not put academic dishonesty charges on transcripts but I think it will be put on my record. Do i have a chance for med school? By the way I am currently a sophomore in my second semester.
1) yes, it's going to hurt.
2) That F will stand out in a sea of good grades, and you'd definitely be asked about it in any interviews. What will you do? Lie?
3) I have a suspicion that this is the type of IA that might not be 100% lethal, but you will need to do the following:

a) Always have a Plan B
b) Lead an exemplary life from now on, and especially try to have positions of responsibility
c) On med schools apps, you'll be asked about this. Check the box, explain and most importantly, OWN IT.
d) There will be SDNers who will tell you to lie. If you ever hope to be a doctor, do NOT listen to them
e) Be prepared to have your medical aspirations in deep stasis
f) If you don't apply to med school, your reject rate will be 100%. Sometimes you have to apply with the app you have, warts and all.
g) lose that attitude in bold above.

Reactions: 9 users
1) yes, it's going to hurt.
2) That F will stand out in a sea of good grades, and you'd definitely be asked about it in any interviews. What will you do? Lie?
3) I have a suspicion that this is the type of IA that might not be 100% lethal, but you will need to do the following:

a) Always have a Plan B
b) Lead an exemplary life from now on, and especially try to have positions of responsibility
c) On med schools apps, you'll be asked about this. Check the box, explain and most importantly, OWN IT.
d) There will be SDNers who will tell you to lie. If you ever hope to be a doctor, do NOT listen to them
e) Be prepared to have your medical aspirations in deep stasis
f) If you don't apply to med school, your reject rate will be 100%. Sometimes you have to apply with the app you have, warts and all.
g) lose that attitude in bold above.
Thanks so much for your advice. I have seen other similar posts where SDNers tell people to lie but personally I can't. It's too much of a big thing to lie about and lying about it will only lower me in the adcom's eyes. I plan to be open and honest and show that this is not me and that I have learned from my mistake and have become a better student and person.

In my Orgo Chem Lab, for a lab worksheet (which is pretty much a full lab report in a worksheet format which we did for every single lab) we had to draw mechanisms and reactions. Once we get a group email from my TA that almost everyone cheated on that and copied mechanisms and reactions from the same exact source. I was one of those who didn't. But, funny thing that it was pure plagiarism and cheating found by TA. He never reported it and just said not to do it again even though in our class it was strictly prohibited to use any other drawings. We had to draw our own for worksheets and lab reports using drawing program.

The one source students copied from internet was not perfect and had some specific errors and not exactly for our lab procedure. It was 100% cheating and nobody got reported. I guess if larger group cheats, they can let it go.

In my Orgo Chem Lab, for a lab worksheet (which is pretty much a full lab report in a worksheet format which we did for every single lab) we had to draw mechanisms and reactions. Once we get a group email from my TA that almost everyone cheated on that and copied mechanisms and reactions from the same exact source. I was one of those who didn't. But, funny thing that it was pure plagiarism and cheating found by TA. He never reported it and just said not to do it again even though in our class it was strictly prohibited to use any other drawings. We had to draw our own for worksheets and lab reports using drawing program.

The one source students copied from internet was not perfect and had some specific errors and not exactly for our lab procedure. It was 100% cheating and nobody got reported. I guess if larger group cheats, they can let it go.

Not always. Case in point:

2012 Harvard cheating scandal - Wikipedia

Be careful of what you post. You don't want pre-meds lurking this forum getting the wrong idea.

How the hell is copying mechanisms cheating? What are you gonna do, make it up yourself? Couldn't they just have opened up their ochem books and copied from there? I always looked up the mechanisms for my prelabs but then again our professor straight up told us to lol

How the hell is copying mechanisms cheating? What are you gonna do, make it up yourself? Couldn't they just have opened up their ochem books and copied from there? I always looked up the mechanisms for my prelabs but then again our professor straight up told us to lol
Getting the right answer on your own is once thing, copying from another source is another. In this case, people got busted because they used the same source, the source was incorrect, and they all copied the same mistake.

our labs were unique and not in the book or on the internet. You could find similar reactions but not exactly like ours. Our lab notebook was made by our professor so everything was very unique just to our class.

Like I said, we were always reminded of the rule and that it will be very strict if we copy anything even reactions or drawings. People got busted, but in that case it was my whole section pretty much.

That's email:

"I can tell because most of you have been making the exact same mistakes, and it only took me a couple of seconds to Google it myself and find the exact picture you are copying from.

You should write the mechanism using your own knowledge and ask me for help if you get stuck, rather than look it up on the internet, where it may or may not be correct.

Technically, copying from this picture is an act of scholastic dishonesty. That being said, the picture contains 2.5 points worth of mistakes if you followed it exactly. You could lose more or less if you didn't copy it exactly, depending on what changes you made. If I write, "see email" on your worksheet, this is the email I am referring to.

I realize that the semester is essentially over for you, so I am just hoping you'll take this as a lesson to be learned for the future."

Getting the right answer on your own is once thing, copying from another source is another. In this case, people got busted because they used the same source, the source was incorrect, and they all copied the same mistake.

Yeah I guess since they all had the same incorrect one it's pretty suspicious, but it sounds like even if they had used a good source with the correct one it would've still been considered cheating if they'd been "caught." I don't know what mechanism it was but a lot of them aren't intuitive enough to figure them out without outside sources. Usually we were told to look up properties of molecules on sigma Aldrich and to use our book or other sources for mechanisms. Sometimes he also gave us examples of similar mechanisms so we were expected to figure out those on our own. I guess cheating just like other things can be subjective based on the professor though. If they expect them to come up with the mechanism themselves then using other sources would be cheating despite how ridiculous I think it is.

our labs were unique and not in the book or on the internet. You could find similar reactions but not exactly like ours. Our lab notebook was made by our professor so everything was very unique just to our class.

Like I said, we were always reminded of the rule and that it will be very strict if we copy anything even reactions or drawings. People got busted, but in that case it was my whole section pretty much.

That's email:

"I can tell because most of you have been making the exact same mistakes, and it only took me a couple of seconds to Google it myself and find the exact picture you are copying from.

You should write the mechanism using your own knowledge and ask me for help if you get stuck, rather than look it up on the internet, where it may or may not be correct.

Technically, copying from this picture is an act of scholastic dishonesty. That being said, the picture contains 2.5 points worth of mistakes if you followed it exactly. You could lose more or less if you didn't copy it exactly, depending on what changes you made. If I write, "see email" on your worksheet, this is the email I am referring to.

I realize that the semester is essentially over for you, so I am just hoping you'll take this as a lesson to be learned for the future."

Ok yeah That sounds pretty fair. He made it pretty clear it wasn't allowed.

You mentioned that I should put enough time in between the incident and applying. Do you think 3 semesters is a good enough time until I apply?

You mentioned that I should work for a year or two. What jobs are there for a BS in cell and molecular biology?

The only thing that will probably 100% bar you from medical school is if you have 2 of these IA's. You took a hit, but you still have a fighting chance.

Good luck OP.

Looking at a friend's lab report is by no means cheating.

I'm not belittling you.

Again, looking at a friend's lab report is not cheating. Plagiarizing from it is cheating.

Also I'm missing the part where OP thought it was okay to be cheating. They clearly stated they were wrong for their actions.

This happened with several lab assignments in my ochem lab except the TAs never cared enough to ask the students why they kept getting the same problems wrong.

I don't see how this relates to my comment but you know OP????

Uh.. No? I was saying that looking at a friend's lab report was considered cheating at my school......

Mine as well
At my school looking at the report wasn't cheating but Taking phrases from it was plagarism and unfortunately I did that by taking some phrases from my friends old report here and there and that was plagarism.

You mentioned that I should work for a year or two. What jobs are there for a BS in cell and molecular biology?
You may want to consider switching your major if you're chances of getting into medical school are shot...

Don't ask me how I know, but I can say with confidence that your career prospects with a naked biology/biochemistry degree are dismal.

You may want to consider switching your major if you're chances of getting into medical school are shot...

Don't ask me how I know, but I can say with confidence that your career prospects with a naked biology/biochemistry degree are dismal.
I will apply during my junior year and if my chances are shot, it'll be too late to change majors...what health-related major do you suggest I should change to which will offer better job prospects?

Also in your opinion do you think I have chance to get into medical school with all of the stuff thats happened and show i've learned from my mistakes by joining my school's student conduct advisory committee and other leadership positions to show responsibility or if I maybe wait for some time to reapply I will have a chance?

Last edited:
Also in your opinion do you think I have chance to get into medical school with all of the stuff thats happened and show i've learned from my mistakes by joining my school's student conduct advisory committee and other leadership positions to show responsibility or if I maybe wait for some time to reapply I will have a chance?
I know a student who was caught cheating his senior year of undergraduate and is now a practicing dermatologist. IMO it's going to come down to how well your undergraduate institution is able to sweep your incident under the rug. In the aforementioned example, the undergraduate institution actually went above and beyond in helping the student obscure what happened. I was blown away and realized that the medical school applications process in the United States is at least somewhat corrupt and definitely not a meritocracy.