Planning to move to school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docforsure

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've been accepted at school X but waitlisted at Y. Y is my top choice and I really hope to get off the waitlist but in the meantime I feel like I should be planning for living arrangements at school X.

Well should I go about this? I definitely want to split an apartment with someone but I don't want to sign a lease and then end up bouncing last minute leaving my future roommate stranded.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

I've been accepted at school X but waitlisted at Y. Y is my top choice and I really hope to get off the waitlist but in the meantime I feel like I should be planning for living arrangements at school X.

Well should I go about this? I definitely want to split an apartment with someone but I don't want to sign a lease and then end up bouncing last minute leaving my future roommate stranded.

I've seen this happen but the other way around. Guy was called from the waitlist by school Y but already had a lease, a few roommates, etc at school X. On paper, the school Y was stronger but he felt obligated to stay where he had a lease.

How likely is it to get off the list? Do you want to put your life on hold with the hope of getting a spot at school X? Give school X a call, express interest, and ask what the odds are that you might get off the list. Explain your situation. Hope that someone will be candid with you. Ask if it will help to express interest on a regular basis. In return, offer to withdraw from the waitlist on the date when you figure you can't wait any longer to find living arrangement near school Y.

you can put down a deposit on a place near school X and school Y and just eat the loss of wherever you don't end up

Members don't see this ad :)
you can put down a deposit on a place near school X and school Y and just eat the loss of wherever you don't end up

But if he has roommates who are expecting this guy to cover 1/3 of the rent for 12 months it is an awful big loss to eat. You can't walk away from a lease with the understanding that you'll just lose the deposit... you're usually on the hook for the rent for the duration of the lease.

sublet your lease out, depending on where you live, its pretty easy.

look into a neighborhood with the number of bedrooms you need, and n-1. ask them how easy it would be to hold a spot for both situations (and how long), and then if you stay at that school, you'll have enough bedrooms. and if not, the roommates won't have to worry about finding another person, as they can move into the n-1 apt. or they could just find another person, hopefully it shouldn't be that hard.