Plastics is the goal. Caribbean student need help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stchez

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!
I was wondering if you guys have any advice for me. My situation is the next one:

I am a 22 year old medical student cursing my 4th year on a 5 years and a half medical program on dominican republic, which is caracterized by its trimestral program. Unfortunately I am currently 1 year behind due to 4 Ds and an F, both standing for failure. My current GPA is 2.93 on my last trimester, and 2.76 in general, and have an average of Bs and Cs with some As and B+s scathered all around.

I am currently dealing with depresion, ADD and anxiety which doesn't really help me right now. So my questions are:

- What do you recommend I should do (besides searching for help for my dep and anx issues) to improve my score?
- Are there any wtudy guides you recommend to bith study for the rest of the career, for the USMLE and for any carensies I have on previwslt taken classes?
- As a foreign studying on a possibly-soon-to-be-accredited university, what do I need to do to try and get a spot on plastic surgery on the USA?
- Any honest advice out there for me?

Thanks for listening guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Man. Get ready to get chewed out just saying. Also, there are multiple spelling mistakes in your post. You might want to edit.

Reactions: 18 users
Plastic Surgery is only a realistic goal for the strongest US MD students --

It's not remotely realistic for a Caribbean grad with a blemished record. Probably not even realistic for a Caribbean grad from a Big Four school with a superlative academic record, published research and top board scores.

Reactions: 17 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'll help you.

Find a new goal

Reactions: 30 users
Too early in the week to handle trolling

Reactions: 28 users
Assuming you're not a troll, find a new career.

Hi!
I was wondering if you guys have any advice for me. My situation is the next one:

I am a 22 year old medical student cursing my 4th year on a 5 years and a half medical program on dominican republic, which is caracterized by its trimestral program. Unfortunately I am currently 1 year behind due to 4 Ds and an F, both standing for failure. My current GPA is 2.93 on my last trimester, and 2.76 in general, and have an average of Bs and Cs with some As and B+s scathered all around.

I am currently dealing with depresion, ADD and anxiety which doesn't really help me right now. So my questions are:

- What do you recommend I should do (besides searching for help for my dep and anx issues) to improve my score?
- Are there any wtudy guides you recommend to bith study for the rest of the career, for the USMLE and for any carensies I have on previwslt taken classes?
- As a foreign studying on a possibly-soon-to-be-accredited university, what do I need to do to try and get a spot on plastic surgery on the USA?

Reactions: 4 users
I'm betting... troll.

roulette.gif

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
After taking that brutal exam today, I can use this thread and some :corny: to relax myself a little bit...

Hi!

1) Invent a time machine
3) profit

Reactions: 5 users
To practice plastics in the US, you would effectively need to come to the US and repeat medical school at a US school. I have known one person who did this. MD in a foreign country, immediately followed by repeating medical school in the US then matching into a highly competitive specialty. You'll be well into your 30s by the time you finish. Unfortunately your current transcript makes getting into a US MD school nearly impossible.

Reactions: 1 user
Am I the only one who thinks this guy may be a troll?

There is nothing you can do now to make yourself competitive.

What you COULD HAVE done however, is to have taken a gap year(s) after undergrad to tackle poor study related issues, manage your psychological problems, and then apply to US medical schools to give yourself a shot at your desired specialty.

Hahaha 3/10 troll job

As an eco-friendly future MD, I look forward to having you successfully get into plastics as my janitor with an MD after your name tag to take care of my "plastic" recyclables for the next 30 years
plastic%20recycling.jpeg

Reactions: 3 users
OP, in another thread of your you said you were in a 6 year program. Here you say 5. Stop lying

Reactions: 1 users
Troll or not. Honest advice. Chances are slim. But this is what you need to do. Rock the boards and your third year rotations. Get into at least a mid-tier academic general surgery program with a plastics fellowship. Bust your butt, get recs and try to get into plastics fellowship at the home program.

I have liked nearly every post in this thread... what a laugh it has provided... Likes for everyone!!!!!
<iframe src="//giphy.com/embed/noqUFXGNuZDLG" width="480" height="270" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="http://giphy.com/gifs/noqUFXGNuZDLG">via GIPHY</a></p>

Attachments

• upload_2016-2-10_1-23-20.png
    upload_2016-2-10_1-23-20.png
    129.9 KB · Views: 101
Troll or not. Honest advice. Chances are slim. But this is what you need to do. Rock the boards and your third year rotations. Get into at least a mid-tier academic general surgery program with a plastics fellowship. Bust your butt, get recs and try to get into plastics fellowship at the home program.

Wait, you can go from gen surg to plastics? Seems to be too good to be true what with getting around the insane Step 1 score cutoffs for plastics... How long is the fellowship?

Wait, you can go from gen surg to plastics? Seems to be too good to be true what with getting around the insane Step 1 score cutoffs for plastics... How long is the fellowship?

Plastics is getting less competitive every year. The integrated track still involves a great deal of self selection, but it's not nearly as competitive as it once was. Same goes for the independent track.

The independent track isn't really that competitive at all. For whatever reason most of the "superstars" in general surgery residency self-select to other areas.

I suspect that the type of people drawn to Gen surg vs. plastics don't often overlap. I've also been told the shift from 2 to 3 year fellowships also decreased the attractiveness of PRS.

Sadly I don't think the OP is trolling. If you look back at her other posts, she has been dead serious for the past year, even considering applying to plastics residencies in Sweden.

I'm sorry you were fed the lie that this was going to be possible for you OP (probably by your scam of a medical school), but it simply will not happen.

Plastics in the US?

giphy.gif

As far as advice, please seek professional help for your anxiety, depression, and ADD if not already. As far as studying for the Steps, check out the subsections on this forum because it's been years since I took Step 1 and 2 so my advice may be out-of-date.

EDIT: FFS, GolfUSA, you made me fall for a necrobump.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Sadly I don't think the OP is trolling. If you look back at her other posts, she has been dead serious for the past year, even considering applying to plastics residencies in Sweden.

I'm sorry you were fed the lie that this was going to be possible for you OP (probably by your scam of a medical school), but it simply will not happen.

7/10 choice of necrobump, I needed this today

I loved this thread. Off the title alone I knew this would be good. I clicked expecting to see a 4.0 student w/ 262 step 1 saying how he/she worked so hard but is realizing they shot themselves in the foot going carib.

Imagine my delight when I clicked and saw a few D’s and an F lol

The independent track isn't really that competitive at all. For whatever reason most of the "superstars" in general surgery residency self-select to other areas.
Thats interesting. I met a DO who went ACGME Surgery=>Plastics . Is there a discrepancy in years of training for Plastics Vs Other fellowships?

I definitely have something to add to this thread, and that's in response to this piece of advice:

1) Invent a time machine
3) profit

This is a great idea. However, the order is incorrect. It should be:
1) Profit
3) Invent a time machine

Because, the time machine is actually the last thing that you do, and then you go back in time and profit, which therefore comes first.

I definitely have something to add to this thread, and that's in response to this piece of advice:

1) Profit
3) Invent a time machine

Because, the time machine is actually the last thing that you do, and then you go back in time and profit, which therefore comes first.
is this the aProgDirector time paradox?

1) Profit
3) Invent a time machine

Could also go to the future gain information to come back to the present and profit. Therefore order is correct.

Could also go to the future gain information to come back to the present and profit. Therefore order is correct.
Futuristic cryptocurencies will be hard to trade for dollars. Try explaining to someone that your Doge coins are equal to gold.
On a more serious note , IIRC time travel can only be viable one way.