Please Evaluate Me!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tcs0037

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Forum. I am a psychology major at Auburn University. I came into AU as a biomedical science major because I was naive and thought you had to major in science to go to medical school. My spring semester of freshman year, I took intro to Psych and absolutely fell in love. The December before that semester, I shadowed a neurosurgeon and was extremely intrigued by the whole neuro side of medicine and science in general. I then took Psych and here I am. I have a 3.63 Overall GPA. 3.45 Science GPA. I plan on graduating a whole year early to save money for medical school. I have around 200 hours of both shadowing and volunteer experience. I will study and take the MCAT the summer after the spring that I graduate. I have the princeton review book set. Here is where I am now.

I've taken Chem 1 and 2. (5 hours of A's, 3 of B's)
I've taken Biol 1 and 2 (8 hours of B's) Btw, my professors SUCKED and I learned NOTHING and am considering retaking over the summer at CC so I may actually learn something. This would boost my science GPA as well.
I've taken Anatomy 1. (4 hours of A's)
I took Genetics but took a W because I had a 80 flat in the class and was taking 19 hours that semester. I WILL retake this class.

So, as far as Organic Chem, AU got a new professor that is an absolute nightmare. Out of 200 people in the class, I know of 2 people that made an A. The rest either passed with C's and D's or failed. Brutal. Including the fact that they did not learn much. I refuse to take it at AU. Physics at AU is very similar so I refuse to take that at AU as well. I plan on taking Physics 1 at CC while taking 19 hours at AU. 23 hours total for spring semester. I will take organic chem 1 and 2 over the summer in mini-mesters at CC. This sounds crappy, I know. But I am wanting to finish in 3 years and taking both at AU would push Biochem into my 4th year which is not okay with me. Also, it appears to be a very small portion of the MCAT. I figured taking Biochemistry at AU would make this look better. Also, at CC, I learn SOOOO much better. The professor teach with enthusiasm and a willingness that you learn.

Thinking back on it now, I would not have attended AU because of the quality of professors at this research university. They simply don't care nor teach efficiently. I should've gone to UAB, South Alabama, Samford.

With this being said, I intend on taking biochemistry and either molecular bio or anatomy 2, if not all 3. Any suggestions on what to do with my year off? I plan on applying early acceptance to South Alabama. I will apply any and everywhere I can. I don't care where I go, I just want to get in. Any advice or encouragement would be much appreciated.

NOTE: The state of Alabama has about as many acceptances to medical school in state as in state applicants. All Alabama med schools prefer Alabama applicants. The odds are better for in state students considering the statistics.

Members don't see this ad.

Come back with an MCAT for full evaluation.

Medical schools will not look at taking so many prerequisites at a CC (Physics 1, Organic 1 and 2) favorably, no matter your reason, especially if you are already enrolled full-time at another university. I would advise you not to do so.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Medical schools will not look at taking so many prerequisites at a CC (Physics 1, Organic 1 and 2) favorably, no matter your reason, especially if you are already enrolled full-time at another university. I would advise you not to do so.
Could I take them at CC, then go back my 4th year and take them at a different university?

It shows up pretty prominently which classes you take at which university. I'd recommend that-unless you're planning to do a post-bacc after you graduate-you try to limit the CC courses you take and do these at Auburn and just work for an A-/B+.

It shows up pretty prominently which classes you take at which university. I'd recommend that-unless you're planning to do a post-bacc after you graduate-you try to limit the CC courses you take and do these at Auburn and just work for an A-/B+.
I’ve heard that med schools look at where you take courses, and I’ve heard they don’t bat an eye at it. Everyone says the key is the highest gpa possible so that’s what I’m putting myself in the position to do. Not only that, but learning the material is important to me. I should’ve gone to a different college.

I’ve heard that med schools look at where you take courses, and I’ve heard they don’t bat an eye at it. Everyone says the key is the highest gpa possible so that’s what I’m putting myself in the position to do. Not only that, but learning the material is important to me. I should’ve gone to a different college.

If you take the difficult sciences at a CC, it may look like you are taking the easy way out. This is different than someone who went to CC for the first 2 years and then went to a University for the last two years.

Organic Chem and the like are supposed to be difficult. That's why they are called "weed-out" classes. The majority of people in my O-Chem class in undergrad got C's, D's, and F's.

Find the people who made A's in O-Chem, ask them what they did, and then apply that to your study skills and ace the class.

And if you are asked about why you took so many prereqs at a CC are you going to start whining about the horrible professors at Auburn and how you should have gone to College elsewhere? Deal with it and figure your problems out. You can’t be the only premed at Auburn who is taking these courses. If it’s as bad as you claim nobody from Auburn would’ve been accepted to med school and we both know that isn’t the case. This is your problem not Auburn’s. I’m not saying there aren’t bad teachers around but you’ve listed at least five science prereq courses you refuse to take at Auburn. Not a good idea at all.

I bat an eye when all the hard science courses are at a CC and all others are at a different 4 year...