Other OT-Related Information Please help!!! Attend cheap unaccredited program or expensive accredited program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

confusedot2016

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I was recently accepted to an unaccredited program that will cost $50,000 and an accredited program that will cost $85,000. I am not sure which school to attend :oops: I was hoping you guys could tell me what you would do if you were in my position. I have lots of school loans from undergrad already ($68,000) and the lifetime limit is $138,000. The accredited program will cost me over $85,000 for tuition alone so I will be short $15,000 in the 2nd year. The unaccredited I can afford but I am concerned it will not get accredited... then I will have used up all my financial aid, owe $138,000 and still not have an MOT :(
Should I max out my loans and charge up my credit cards to go to an accredited program or do the cheaper program that is not accredited? Please help me figure out what to do!!! :thumbup: :thumbdown: :shrug: I have been so stressed out so any advice would help. I have to pay a deposit soon.
Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know...hmmm but if I were you I'd research more about the unaccredited program and I'd ask myself:
-How long has been program been forgoing* accreditation?
-What are the consequences of me graduating and the program has not yet been accredited.
-Look into the faculty....

To be honest, If you're sure OT is absolutely what you want to do with your life and you're 100% sure you can tolerate the rigors involved with school; then go take out a private loan and go to the accredited program.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks! I really appreciate your sincere advice. The unaccredited program does have an OT Assistant program. But it was accredited in 2013 after being deferred once by ACOTE. The 2014 graduation class had 12 enter and 10 graduate (83%) which isn't bad but the 2015 class had 20 enter and only 11 graduate (55%)... no data for this year. I looked for their NBCOT pass rate and could not find it. Unfortunately, if they have horrible stats like that for the OTA program I doubt they would get reapproved in 2018 when they are up for review. Their OTA program is run by a successful Doctorate of OT who seems very competent and capable. The Master's program is run by a PhD in Public Health with only a Bachelors in OT. I am not sayingthat's bad but if the DOT is having trouble with the OTA then how will the new Director of the Master'sprogram who was hired a year ago and whose expertise is in Public Health do with the MOT? Also there has been a lot of disorganization and confusion with paperwork and files at the unaccredited school OT dept so that is not good. The school has been posting an ad looking for an MOT professor for the past few months and it's still not filled... so it seems they are understaffed for instructors to even teach the courses. As of now I only see 3 people listed for the MOT staff which includes the director, the fieldwork coordinator, and a professor. I looked up what classes they teach and it shows the classes they cover are not enough. There are still classes that need to be taken in the curriculum but nobody as of now listed to teach it. What if they don't find another professor in time? How will they be approved? :nailbiting: I called Acote they said the school submitted their self report in April and they will decide on if they get approval for the next step by end of August then they will do their visit after that and decide on final approval by May of 2017. We have to start classes and orientation on August 24th so what if ACOTE doesn't announce their decision in time? I asked AOTA and Acote about the situation and they said there is a risk and the student takes on that risk by attending an unaccredited program. I asked if most programs are being approved and they referred me to a long list of schools online that were not approved or not re-approved. They could not speak specifically about this school but said there are schools that have approved OTA programs but do not get approved for their MOT because it's a completely separate process. :help: I am between a rock and a hard place and I have to put a deposit soon on one of the schools. Feel like I'm playing Russian Roulette... I am so sick about this decision... either go broke and possibly run out of money or go to a program waste money for a year then start from scratch again :barf:
This happened to one of the OT's I know. She went to a program and after her first year the program was rejected and she had to find a new program and start all over because no school would accept any of her classes for transfer. She still seems pissed about it to this day. Lucky for her she had the money to go to another school which I would not after one year (borrowing another$30,000).
So your advice to just figure out how to get the money and go to the accredited program might be the wisest choice!! I just wanted to make sure I explored every option I suppose. Helps to discuss and get different perspectives Thanks Erhe!

I don't know...hmmm but if I were you I'd research more about the unaccredited program and I'd ask myself:
-How long has been program been forgoing* accreditation?
-What are the consequences of me graduating and the program has not yet been accredited.
-Look into the faculty....

To be honest, If you're sure OT is absolutely what you want to do with your life and you're 100% sure you can tolerate the rigors involved with school; then go take out a private loan and go to the accredited program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone!
I was recently accepted to an unaccredited program that will cost $50,000 and an accredited program that will cost $85,000. I am not sure which school to attend :oops: I was hoping you guys could tell me what you would do if you were in my position. I have lots of school loans from undergrad already ($68,000) and the lifetime limit is $138,000. The accredited program will cost me over $85,000 for tuition alone so I will be short $15,000 in the 2nd year. The unaccredited I can afford but I am concerned it will not get accredited... then I will have used up all my financial aid, owe $138,000 and still not have an MOT :(
Should I max out my loans and charge up my credit cards to go to an accredited program or do the cheaper program that is not accredited? Please help me figure out what to do!!! :thumbup: :thumbdown: :shrug: I have been so stressed out so any advice would help. I have to pay a deposit soon.
Thanks in advance!

Who told you that the lifetime limit for loans is 138?? I definitely know people who will be graduating with more than that. And i think u are in a sticky situation. But if you are seeing all these problems with that program then it is probably not worth the risk to attend since they arent accredited. 85k is a lot, and i personally wouldnt go there neither (i would take another year off and reaaply). BUT I think you should go with the accrediated school and just take out a plus loan to cover the additional cost assuming u have good credit.

Last edited:
Hi cb31! Yes, I agree... I know the general advice is to go to the cheaper program because an MOT is an MOT so no point to pay more as long as you can sit for the NBCOT exam. But as you correctly pointed out the unaccredited program may not be worth the risk since it already has so many red flags.

The financial aid officer told me the Federal Financial aid limit was $138,000 and that includes Plus loans so I will run out and be short $15,000 unless I am able to get private loans. I saw online that the $138,000 limit was correct :( The $85,000 is the total tuition for the program actually not per year... same for the $50,000, that is for all 7 semesters of the program. Also I will be living with my husband so I don't have to worry about cost of living too much. I really appreciate your advice and I am thinking to do as you recommended. I really appreciate your help! :)

Who told you that the lifetime limit for loans is 138?? I definitely know people who will be graduating with more than that. And i think u are in a sticky situation. But if you are seeing all these problems with that program then it is probably not worth the risk to attend since they arent accredited. 85k is a lot, and i personally wouldnt go there neither (i would take another year off and reaaply). BUT I think you should go with the accrediated school and just take out a plus loan to cover the additional cost assuming u have good credit.

Hi cb31! Yes, I agree... I know the general advice is to go to the cheaper program because an MOT is an MOT so no point to pay more as long as you can sit for the NBCOT exam. But as you correctly pointed out the unaccredited program may not be worth the risk since it already has so many red flags.

The financial aid officer told me the Federal Financial aid limit was $138,000 and that includes Plus loans so I will run out and be short $15,000 unless I am able to get private loans. I saw online that the $138,000 limit was correct :( The $85,000 is the total tuition for the program actually not per year... same for the $50,000, that is for all 7 semesters of the program. Also I will be living with my husband so I don't have to worry about cost of living too much. I really appreciate your advice and I am thinking to do as you recommended. I really appreciate your help! :)

I know that there is a cap on stafford loans, but you can borrow as much with the PLUS loan as you need as long as it doesn't exceed the cost of attendence of the school. You should look into that loan more, unless the school is telling you that there is more you you will have to pay than what they spell out on their cost of attendence which doesn't make sense. Idk. Hate to give you something extra to stress about, but im certain that there isnt a cap on plus loans (aside from wat i said above), so maybe that 85k school only accepts a certain amount of plus loans? Thats really wierd tho. Anyway, good luck!

I'd be worried about if you can be licensed and if you will be able to get hired if you go to an unaccredited program. I had a family member go to an unaccredited college for teaching and she had to repeat 3/4 of her degree at an accredited institution because no one would hire her. It's extra money but you may more readily see your return than if you go to an unaccredited program. I'd also be worried about if you'll be able to do fieldwork and if you'll be as prepared to enter the workforce. I'd personally go with the accredited program but the financial situation is your choice and ultimately it affects you most. I'd be very concerned about the graduation rate and the pass/fail rate for the NBCOT. Also check state licencing requirements for where you want to work. They may have rules about accreditation.

Personally I'd go with a more expensive but safe option. Grad school is hard and stressful enough without the added stress of possibly not graduating or being licensed. And more importantly, not being able to find a job...
Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for the info! I will definitely do more research... maybe I misunderstood something. Appreciate your help!
I know that there is a cap on stafford loans, but you can borrow as much with the PLUS loan as you need as long as it doesn't exceed the cost of attendence of the school. You should look into that loan more, unless the school is telling you that there is more you you will have to pay than what they spell out on their cost of attendence which doesn't make sense. Idk. Hate to give you something extra to stress about, but im certain that there isnt a cap on plus loans (aside from wat i said above), so maybe that 85k school only accepts a certain amount of plus loans? Thats really wierd tho. Anyway, good luck!

Hi HawkeyeOT! I really appreciate your advice. Honestly, multiple OT's I spoke to have said exactly the same thing. You definitely gave a great financial perspective too... of seeing the return on investment. Yes, ultimately if I can work then I will make that $30,000 plus more, back in the first year versus not being able to work at all. Better to be safe than sorry. Thanks a lot, greatly appreciated!!!
I'd be worried about if you can be licensed and if you will be able to get hired if you go to an unaccredited program. I had a family member go to an unaccredited college for teaching and she had to repeat 3/4 of her degree at an accredited institution because no one would hire her. It's extra money but you may more readily see your return than if you go to an unaccredited program. I'd also be worried about if you'll be able to do fieldwork and if you'll be as prepared to enter the workforce. I'd personally go with the accredited program but the financial situation is your choice and ultimately it affects you most. I'd be very concerned about the graduation rate and the pass/fail rate for the NBCOT. Also check state licencing requirements for where you want to work. They may have rules about accreditation.

Personally I'd go with a more expensive but safe option. Grad school is hard and stressful enough without the added stress of possibly not graduating or being licensed. And more importantly, not being able to find a job...
Best of luck!

Thanks CoraBeth! I think you are exactly right :) I will go to the accredited program... I am figuring out the finances now :highfive: I appreciate your advice because it reaffirms that I am doing the right thing :)
Go with your gut! The accredited program may cost more but once you graduate you know you will be able to sit for your boards and then begin work as an OT. With the unaccredited school you don't know and it is out of your hands. I have heard horror stories of people in the medical field attending unaccredited programs that don't receive their accreditation or programs that lose their accreditation while students are in the program. It is a nightmare, waste of time and a huge loss of money. You then have to wait for accreditation or apply to other schools and hope that some of the credits transfer, which although OT programs are similar many times credits don't transfer and then you fall further behind. Although it costs more $$ in the long run you will probably get to work and start being able to afford to pay it back sooner with the accredited program. Wishing you all the best!

Thanks CoraBeth! I think you are exactly right :) I will go to the accredited program... I am figuring out the finances now :highfive: I appreciate your advice because it reaffirms that I am doing the right thing :)

Good choice on the accredited program. I was hoping you would choose this route! Good luck finishing your education!

Those are two bad choices, I can understand your frustration. My advice is to focus on getting in to a program which will consider your last 60 hours of coursework. Try to get into a public school which does so, the cost will be much less.

Has anyone applied to Western New England O/T program?