Please, I really appreciate your advice for this year match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOC 12

Reaction score
Hello Guys,

I matched this year but my visa underwent administrative processing. It's still pending but the program couldn't afford to wait for me. They requested a waiver from NRMP one month only after the Residency start date. The waiver is granted and they released me. Its really hard for me. Even harder than going unmatched.

Now I'm confused between two options
First is to apply for this year match. And if I match I will apply for j1 again ( I may go under administrative processing again)
Second, I will try to find a research on J1 Visa then i will do change of category while I'm in US if I match. But I have to wait another year for the next match, 2020. Furthermore, I heard that sometimes change of category takes up to 5-6 month ( I don't know if that true or not, so I really appreciate your input)

My situation is so complicated and I really appreciate your advice. Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

I think you got pretty accurate information from @aProgDirector in your last thread--you are very likely to wind up going through AP again next year. I think that is going to make it really tough for you to have another successful match. Unless you have a stellar application that makes you in high demand for some reason it would just be easier for a program to rank someone who will NOT undergo AP and thus not be a risk to start late.

It's probably safest to find research on a J1 visa with plan to change category if you match in 2020. The obvious plus side is that you would have a job, and at some point you'll need money to fund your continued applications, and it may (or may not) convince a program that you are more likely to get approved for your change of category J1. Downside is that will put you yet another year from your graduation without any clinical work, so I would think your chances of matching in the first place go down.

It's a tough spot without a right or wrong answer. I'm sorry you're having to go through this.

Reactions: 1 users
You need to talk to an immigration attorney, to sort out what is the best path forward. Do not "guess" or get random help on the internet. Getting a different visa might make things better, or much worse. Ask a professional.

Reactions: 3 users