Please review my first freshmen semester!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted807068

I'm a pre-med currently finishing my first semester. I'm definitely not a smart student and had to work really hard for these stats. Please let me know how I'm doing. Also, if you could suggest some good EC activities as well that would be appreciated.

-Classes -
English - A
Micro-economics - A
Psychology - A- (I REALLY SHOULD'VE GOTTEN AN A :(...
Gen BIO 1 (with lab) - B (I worked damn hard in this class, still got a B :/

Science gpa: 3 (I'm scared for this...)
Cumulative: 3.65

I worked relatively hard this semester. I'm taking physics and micro bio next semester and sociology and intermediate micro economics next semester. Do people tend to increase their GPA as they go along each year? What should I do to improve myself? I'm just pretty anxious about this whole process and I want to make sure I don't make any mistakes. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Your GPA is fine. Just keep working hard. What's your plan for chemistry? Given that general chemistry is usually required for organic chemistry, you might want to get the ball rolling on that.

Reactions: 1 user
Your GPA is fine. Just keep working hard. What's your plan for chemistry? Given that general chemistry is usually required for organic chemistry, you might want to get the ball rolling on that.
My plan is to take Gen Chem 1 this summer 2017. That way, I can ONLY focus on that class. According to all my friends, it's an easy A if you do ALL the extra credits which apparently takes a lot of time but it works perfect for me. Then I plan to take Orgo 1 my first semester sophomore year with a bunch of other easy classes so I can focus on that. I believe I will be taking Orgo 2 the summer of 2018 (Which will finish off all my essential premed classes for the summer).

Members don't see this ad :)
Get the highest GPA you can achieve if you want to go to medical schools. Its as simple as that. That sGPA definitely needs to come up but don't worry. I had a 3.0 sGPA my first semester and a 4.o sGPA the next. Just figure out how you should be studying for each class and make sure to prioritize. What I mean by that is, while its important to make time for yourself and your friends, your friends aren't going to get you into med school. I've seen many good students fall off because they couldn't figure out what was truly important. Then again, no one likes a 4.0 gunner robot. So find your balance.

Get the highest GPA you can achieve if you want to go to medical schools. Its as simple as that. That sGPA definitely needs to come up but don't worry. I had a 3.0 sGPA my first semester and a 4.o sGPA the next. Just figure out how you should be studying for each class and make sure to prioritize. What I mean by that is, while its important to make time for yourself and your friends, your friends aren't going to get you into med school. I've seen many good students fall off because they couldn't figure out what was truly important. Then again, no one likes a 4.0 gunner robot. So find your balance.
Thanks for your advice. Yeah I definitely need to do something about my science GPA. What would you say is a competitive science GPA?

This sounds like a fine plan. What about Gen. Chem. 2? It should probably also be taken before Organic Chem. since it explores acid/base chemistry among other topics.
actually, I talked to advisors and friends and they said that gen chem 2 can be taken senior year after I take the MCAT since it won't really be important for the MCAT

At least 3.5 for MD.
Really?!? Okay, that is a relief . I thought a competitive science gpa would be the same as the cumulative.... so like around a 3.7-3.8. I'll still try to aim as high as possible

You have finished your first semester of college without failing out, big props to that.

Now on to your GPA, you've done well! DO NOT get down about your Science GPA - you've only taken one class. If you're 20 science courses deep and still at a 3.0 - then you can be concerned. At this point, with so few classes under your belt, you can positively impact your GPA quickly.

Now on to the philosophical conversation - do not get tied up in worrying about how each class will affect your chance of getting into medical school. This will only distract you from the course itself and you will perform worse than you would have if you focused your worry on the material. A successful application to medical school, in every sense, reflects a body of work and not any single class.

Your gpa was good for your first run!

I am wondering why you took so few classes. Any particular reason?
I mean that's 15 credits right there. I can max out at 18 credits. Next semester I'm taking 16 credits. Plus I'm taking summer classes as well.

You have finished your first semester of college without failing out, big props to that.

Now on to your GPA, you've done well! DO NOT get down about your Science GPA - you've only taken one class. If you're 20 science courses deep and still at a 3.0 - then you can be concerned. At this point, with so few classes under your belt, you can positively impact your GPA quickly.

Now on to the philosophical conversation - do not get tied up in worrying about how each class will affect your chance of getting into medical school. This will only distract you from the course itself and you will perform worse than you would have if you focused your worry on the material. A successful application to medical school, in every sense, reflects a body of work and not any single class.

Thanks for the insight and motivation!

Medical schools view upward trends favorably. Keep in mind, the average matriculate has a 3.75c.. Keep going.

Looking fine so far, do not sweat the B in bio, just come back with some A's in other science courses.