Pls Advise - has anyone transferred after signing contract?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

s2417

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
If anyone has transferred after signing a contract, can you post your experience doing so - is it feasible?

Members don't see this ad.

s2417 said:
If anyone has transferred after signing a contract, can you post your experience doing so - is it feasible?

i am in the process of trying to transfer right now, with the support of my program director. i've talked to him regarding my situation and he has been very understanding. i actually haven't turned in my contract yet, with the permission of my program director, pending a possible transfer. however, he did tell me that should i decide to sign the contract, even though it is binding, it won't change anything because he is willing to let me go due to my circumstances. i can't say that for other programs though. i think it really depends on who your program director is, how understanding he/she is, and how extenuating your situation is to warrant a transfer. i can't say how grateful i am to have the program director that i have now. throughout the process, i've kept all lines of communication open with my program director and other program directors. i can't say how important that is, particularly so that you do not step on anyone's toes. just be honest and respectful and hopefully your program director is as wonderful as mine. good luck.

lots of people transfer every year. No big deal. Be honest, keep your PD in the loop and let your PD help you! No one wants you to be stuck in a program in which you feel sorta lukewarm. If you want to transfer, it will happen. good luck!

I switched programs after doing one and almost a half year of FP. The program was on probation and I was really lied to regarding the situation the program was in. They were very malignant. When I told them I wanted to leave and that there was a position available elsewhere they went ballistic. They consulted a law firm, threatened to sue for damages and really were inappropriate to the other PD that I was working with.

I'm still threatened with being sued (which by the way would be the first time a residency program sued for damages-which I've been told by my lawyer) and I occasionally still have to work with these rejects now that I'm in my new program-which by the way I love. I talked to my new PD and he said he's let people go mid-stream after the contract is signed and said he never imagined that a PD would act the way this other guy did.

My advice is to talk to them upfront, but do not expect them to be jumping up and down that you want to leave. After all, you have to remember that you are putting them in a bind as far as covering call and the other resident's have to bear more weight. On the other hand as I pointed out to my previous PD, why would they want someone there who isn't committed or motivated to their program.

My lawyer said no matter what, they can't force you to work in spite of signing a contract-that's forced labor and in America that's illegal. The problem will be if they fight and they might get other programs to turn you down. My advice is don't tell them where you're looking at going to (if you are thinking about changing programs) that way they can't put pressure on the other program.

Overall, it is not a pleasant process and you'll risk really pissing off some of your fellow residents and current PD. Just make sure that you can stand up to all the crap before you get the ball started.

Thanks so much. Each advice has helped a lot & gave me some perspective on transferring. Good luck guys!