PM&R Sports Med prep

CerPR88

May 2, 2016
    Hi all,

I'm currently applying/interviewing for PM&R and am interested in pursuing a PM&R (FM would be ok) Sports Med fellowship. However, this could change if I fall in love with SCI, pain, etc or just get tired and want to work.

Question I have is: What should I be looking for in a residency program in order to set myself for success to match in a SM fellowship? This would help me (a little bit) ranking the programs. If I should not base anything on this then just say so lol.

Things I already took in consideration:
    - Sports coverage in the community (professional sports > NCAA > high school [most are high school])
    - In-house fellowship (obviously not all programs have a PM&R fellowship, some don't have any)
    - MSK / outpatient exposure (some programs are more inpatient heavy...etc)
    - Opportunities for procedures
    - Reputation of program and their residents obtaining desired fellowships (most literally just say their residents match well)
    - Research

timisdaman

Awesome
    15+ Year Member
    Aug 14, 2006
    1. Attending Physician
      I would say the most important thing to get an interview is to demonstrate a vested interest in sports.

Zaremski, Jason L., et al. "Identifiable Factors Associated With Acceptance Into Sports Medicine Fellowship Programs. A Brief Report." Clinical Journal of Sport Medicine (2018).

Reactions: 1 user
      About the Ads
      This thread is more than 2 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
      2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
      5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
      6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      7. This thread is locked.