Point of Pharm Residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TrojanMan48

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the exact point of a pharmacy residency? Is it to help a pharmacist specialize in a particular area like for MD's? Is it even required to practice? Sorry for the dumb questions, but I'm truly ignorant of this. Also, is there a residency for those interested in research and development? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

yes, it's to specialize. It is required if you desire an entry level pharmacist position at a hospital, retail, or some other practice settings. (and there is nothing wrong with that) Rutgers has a residency program for R&D. More info can be found here... http://www.rci.rutgers.edu/~ifellows/home.php

Also FYI- For R&D, its a fellowship, not a residency but really no difference.

Members don't see this ad :)
(Sorry about the mispost bananaface; thanks for moving it)

Thank you Caverject! That answers my question well. Is Rutgers the only institution that offers a R&D res? Also, what are the different kinds of residencies available (basic ones)?

TrojanMan48 said:
(Sorry about the mispost bananaface; thanks for moving it)

Thank you Caverject! That answers my question well. Is Rutgers the only institution that offers a R&D res? Also, what are the different kinds of residencies available (basic ones)?
Leave all the fields blank and click search. Then go to lines 104-110. This is all the drug development residency/fellowships available. Also, all the others listed is a comprehensive list of all residencies offered. Most start with either a pharmacy practice residency or drug information residency.
http://www.accp.com/resandfel/directorynon.php

Also, this is a good link for more information on residencies.
http://www.ashp.org/rtp/Seeking/index.cfm?cfid=5070280&CFToken=25340710

For R&D, there should be several other fellowships you can apply to. Check: ASHP
I think you have to do a pharmacy practice (general) residency for one year. And then either apply for a 2-year fellowship (or 1-year specialty) program. Pay probably ranges from about 36k-43k per year. :luck:

Just curious, what exactly can a new grad go into w/o a residency (after passing everything else though)
thanks
mt

MDTDO said:
Just curious, what exactly can a new grad go into w/o a residency (after passing everything else though)
thanks
mt

Most new grads can get any retail or staff hospital (non-clinical) pharmacist position without a residency. Pharmacists who have completed a residency are usually clinical pharmacists- as in - they see patients in almost the same way a physician would and they work with the physicians to adjust the patients' medications (whether it be type of medication or dosage). In major teaching hospitals, the clinical pharmacist is usually a part of the team of attendings, residents, and interns that make rounds on the patients each day.

The first year of most pharmacy residencies is a pharmacy practice year (you do a little bit of everything and get the crappy weekend/night/holiday hours to staff as a regular pharmacist). The second (and any additional years) are specialty years (you could choose oncology, peds, critical care, etc).

so like, how much does a clinical pharmacist make after 2 or 3 years of residency?

Many times less than retail pharmacists (sometimes 20K less per year). It's more of what you want to do with your life than how much money you want to make. These are highly sought after jobs too because many retail pharmacists get burnt out after a couple of years and want a change. I plan on doing a residency most definately because clinical pharmacy is where I belong.

can someone earn their PharmD and go back to do a residency sometime down the road? Or does it need to be done immediately?

Caverject said:
you can do that if you know how to budget yourself and live with a 1/3 of what you used to make.

that makes sense! thanks! It's probably better to just do it right after graduation...

Caverject said:
you can do that if you know how to budget yourself and live with a 1/3 of what you used to make.

However, the ones who have come back after a go at staff practice know what they're really getting into when they start a residency. We just graduated a Master's/Fellowship (TODAY!!!) from the ECP program. She actually did a five year commission in the Navy before joining us here.

A residency should be attempted when you want to specialize. Don't do it because it's the trendy thing or you have to when you graduate. Sometimes, it takes a while for someone to realize that staff isn't for them.