Poor performance on the inservice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bky3c

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
There is something I'm just not doing right on the inservice, and I'm hoping that there are others out there who have had this problem and solved it. Being stupid and doing poorly on tests are not qualities that lead one to a position as an emergency medicine resident, but for some reason, this test is giving me major problems. If I had to fail a test, why couldn't I have failed a less significant test back in med school?! I just can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Last year, my score was 57, and I chalked it up to not being prepared, not knowing how to prepare, not even knowing that I *should* prepare. This year, it went up to 66, which is a significant increase, but still nowhere near good enough (8th percentile :wow:). You could argue that another 9-point increase will take me to 75 next year, which is somewhat more comfortable, but still not good. Our PD tells us that a 75 or lower for a 3rd year predicts failing the boards, while an 80 or higher predicts passing.

I studied hard this year and really felt much more prepared for the exam, but clearly I was not. I used Rivers, PEER VII, and Tintinalli. I also did some one-on-one studying with one of our attendings. All to no avail. Any suggestions for how to attack it this year? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

If I had to fail a test, why couldn't I have failed a less significant test back in med school?!
Actually you are far better off having failed your inservice rather than something that would have made it harder to get a residency IF you can get it together and fix it.

I just can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

You have to figure out if it's a test taking problem or a knowledge problem. I suggest some more one on one time with your advisor and PD going over some PEER questions to see which it is. If it's a knowledge problem you need to study. If it's a testing problem you need to spend more time addressing your thought process and approach to questions.

There are also tutors in many areas who can help you learn how to test better.

Good luck. As I recall I bombed by PGY2 inservice but did fine on boards.

Members don't see this ad :)
I also did really poorly on my first inservice. I am not suprised in that I didn't study much at all but I am suprised at how well everyone else did nationally, i.e. how low my percentile is. How does everyone else have time to study? Are you guys getting great on the job teaching or are you studying or does everyone just have a better memory than me? I would love to read some tips from people who did well especially interns. I have to pull it up next year.
Thanks!

As DocB said, the Peer questions are excellent. I found several questions on Peer VII that were nearly identical to inservice and actual board questions.

So does the percentile in the score sheet compare us to same level EM residents or are we compared against the rest EM1-4?

So does the percentile in the score sheet compare us to same level EM residents or are we compared against the rest EM1-4?

by training level.

For those who did poorly, I suggest a real commitment. Complete EM MD Challenger before the next test. About 400 hours of work. Some of the questions seem strange by having multiple answers, but usually they cover all of the important parts of each disease. Pricey also, but more complete than PEER.

All of our residents who actually did the thing have shown significant improvement. Other methods of study may work for you. Some can use Audio-digest or EM abstracts on your drive in and out.

I'll go further and say all of our residents who did poorly first round and made a significant commitment to study did better. If you made it through medical school, you can do this.

But if you don't study, don't cry when your PD lowers the boom.

Haven't heard anything about our results yet, but they told the interns not to study! :scared: When is the deadline for hearing back?

Definitely will at least be going through PEER this year!