Possible Prereq Sequences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CBFutureHelper14

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Undergrad cGPA: 3.5
Undergrad sGPA: possibly 3.0
Chem 1- C
Health Science Chem- B
Anat & Phys 1- C
ECs: Volunteering ~80hrs currently, Shadowing- ~8hrs currently. Continuing both currently.

Possible prereq sequences

Sequence 1-
Begining Fall 16: Bio 1, Chem 2, Physics 1
Spring 17: Bio 2, Org Chem 1, Physics 2, MCAt prep
Summer 17: Org Chem 2, Biochem, MCAt prep
Fall 17- MCAt prep
Sp 18- MCAT
Summer 18- Summer for Future Doctors Program, finish ECs, submit med
apps for Fall 19 admission

Sequence 2-
Begining Spring 17: Bio 1, Chem 2, Physics 1
Summer 17- Bio 2, Org Chem 1
Fall 17- Physics 2, Org Chem 2, MCAT prep
Spring 18- Biochem, MCAt prep
Summer 18- Mcat, Summer for Future Doctors Program, finish ECs, submit apps for Fall 19 admission

Would it be wise to retake Chem 1 or just move on to Chem 2? If I retake Chem 1 it will be while I am taking Bio 1. So the sequence would be:
Fall 16: Bio 1,Chem 1, Physics 1
Sp 17: Bio 2, Chem 2, Org Chem 1, Physics 2
Summr 17: Org 2, Biochem, MCAt prep
Fall 17: Mcat prep, finish ECs,
Sp 18-MCAT,
Summer 18- Summer for Future Doc Program, apply for Fall 19 admission.

Also, apps open June 1 right?

Members don't see this ad.

Personally, I would retake chem 1 in order to show mastery of the content and to make sure I was prepared for chem 2.

Members don't see this ad :)
Undergrad cGPA: 3.5
Undergrad sGPA: possibly 3.0
Chem 1- C
Health Science Chem- B
Anat & Phys 1- C
ECs: Volunteering ~80hrs currently, Shadowing- ~8hrs currently. Continuing both currently.

Possible prereq sequences

Sequence 1-
Begining Fall 16: Bio 1, Chem 2, Physics 1
Spring 17: Bio 2, Org Chem 1, Physics 2, MCAt prep
Summer 17: Org Chem 2, Biochem, MCAt prep
Fall 17- MCAt prep
Sp 18- MCAT
Summer 18- Summer for Future Doctors Program, finish ECs, submit med
apps for Fall 19 admission

Sequence 2-
Begining Spring 17: Bio 1, Chem 2, Physics 1
Summer 17- Bio 2, Org Chem 1
Fall 17- Physics 2, Org Chem 2, MCAT prep
Spring 18- Biochem, MCAt prep
Summer 18- Mcat, Summer for Future Doctors Program, finish ECs, submit apps for Fall 19 admission

Would it be wise to retake Chem 1 or just move on to Chem 2? If I retake Chem 1 it will be while I am taking Bio 1. So the sequence would be:
Fall 16: Bio 1,Chem 1, Physics 1
Sp 17: Bio 2, Chem 2, Org Chem 1, Physics 2
Summr 17: Org 2, Biochem, MCAt prep
Fall 17: Mcat prep, finish ECs,
Sp 18-MCAT,
Summer 18- Summer for Future Doc Program, apply for Fall 19 admission.

Also, apps open June 1 right?
Please don't take this the wrong way, but for someone with your science history (C's and a B) it might be too much for you to take 3 prerequisite classes at the same time and earn A's. Don't sacrifice those good grades to get through faster, because it could jeopardize your chances and then you still have to wait another year and reapply.

Have you addressed why you did poorly before?

Reactions: 1 user
Please don't take this the wrong way, but for someone with your science history (C's and a B) it might be too much for you to take 3 prerequisite classes at the same time and earn A's. Don't sacrifice those good grades to get through faster, because it could jeopardize your chances and then you still have to wait another year and reapply.

This is exactly what I thought when I read OP's post. You needs A's. Ease into your first semester to make certain you can get A's, then ramp up the intensity. The worst thing you can do is take 3 prereqs and get 3 more Cs.

Why does sequence 2 begin in spring of 2017 instead of fall 2016?
Could you take Bio1 & retake Chem 1 in Fall of 2016 and keep the rest of sequence 2 unchanged (or maybe swap Physics 1 & Bio 2)? I think that would be realistic.

Yes, June 1st.

Reactions: 1 users

My poor performance was due to a lack of study skills. I believe I can rectify that with the help of tutoring and focused study habits. I could slow it down, but I am intending to just complete the prereqs and not go through an actual second degree. Also for financial aid purposes, i can be a half time student(6 credits per semester minimum) or full time student(12 credits per semester minimum) If I slow it down, the sequence may be:

Fall 16- Bio 1( 4 s.h.), Chem 1(4 s.h.) humanities course (3 s.h.).
Sp 17- bio 2(4sh), chem 2(4sh), elective
Summ 17- org 1(4 sh), physics 1 (4sh)
Fall 17- physics 2(4sh), org 2(4sh)
Sp 18- biochem(4 sh), cell bio( 4sh).

Last edited:
My poor performance was due to a lack of study skills. I believe I can rectify that with the help of tutoring and focused study habits. I could slow it down, but I am intending to just complete the prereqs and not go through an actual second degree.
I think the point is that, regardless of your degree plans, getting C's in prereqs is not going to make for a competitive med school application. If you've improved your study habits and feel prepared for a heavy courseload, then go for it. But I would be somewhat cautious. In general, it's better to postpone applying and craft a really solid application with the highest GPA you can muster in all of your courses -- rather than rush into it and end up with below average stats. Med schools don't just want to see that you've completed the courses; they want to see that you've done well in them. This shows them that you can handle med school level academics.

Even if you've addressed your studying issues, it might not be a bad idea to start slow for one semester and make sure you're getting some A's, then work your way back up to a heavier schedule. Especially if you're planning to apply MD, where every course attempt counts and there's no grade replacement.

Reactions: 2 users
Spread it out and maximize your chances of getting A's. Slow and steady. If you get only A's while taking just one or two courses, then perhaps consider stepping it up. Another B isn't necessarily going to kill your application but at this point you want to get the best GPA possible, even if that means slowing down.
I had some undergrad grades similar to yours and knocking out courses gradually during my postbac helped my numbers significantly.

Reactions: 1 users
I think the point is that, regardless of your degree plans, getting C's in prereqs is not going to make for a competitive med school application. If you've improved your study habits and feel prepared for a heavy courseload, then go for it. But I would be somewhat cautious. In general, it's better to postpone applying and craft a really solid application with the highest GPA you can muster in all of your courses -- rather than rush into it and end up with below average stats. Med schools don't just want to see that you've completed the courses; they want to see that you've done well in them. This shows them that you can handle med school level academics.

Even if you've addressed your studying issues, it might not be a bad idea to start slow for one semester and make sure you're getting some A's, then work your way back up to a heavier schedule. Especially if you're planning to apply MD, where every course attempt counts and there's no grade replacement.

Thanks for the advice. I planned on applying MD and DO. Only when I am ready though. I want to have the best application possible so that I do not have to reapply.