possible reasons for being rejected after an interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HPAbby

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had an interview last week. I was really nervous but I think as the interview went on I was slightly better and despite all of this I feel like my answers were fine. I'm scared that my nervous, awkward demeanor may cost me. Is nervousness a reason one might be rejected? We were also asked to write an essay, I think it was "okay" at the most.

Members don't see this ad.

Every other applicant is nervous when they arrive too. I know it's easier said than done, but calm down and hope for the best. There are any number of reasons an applicant can be rejected, but that shouldn't be your focus at this point.

I had an interview last week. I was really nervous but I think as the interview went on I was slightly better and despite all of this I feel like my answers were fine. I'm scared that my nervous, awkward demeanor may cost me. Is nervousness a reason one might be rejected? We were also asked to write an essay, I think it was "okay" at the most.

Possible reasons......this could be my first book I publish if I listed ALL the reasons with a broad statement like this but .... I like simplicity:

Believe it or not being nervous (more times than not) is not a top reason for rejection. More times than not (fact or opinion take it as you will) it’s down to 3 main factors

1) you as well as all the other applicants interviewed great. A draw if you will. So how do you beat a draw? Look at the other factors such as gpa and experience and EC’s. Go from that point.

2) Communication: were you professional but simplistic in your language? To broad in an answer? This has a lot of levels. Did you talk as an adult or a child (fidget, say “like” or “umm” every other second, speak as if atrophy in the English language is a burden, etc).

3) Delivery (yes, different from communication) : did you properly fill in the “gaps” that potentially make you weak in specific categories but still explained yourself as why you-and-said university are a good fit: example :::: why is your GPA low? Why do you not have pharmacy experience or shadowing? If you have low stats and/or little to no experience then why do you believe pharmacy is for you? What makes you different from the rest? If you cannot answer these with confidence and concrete evidence (LORs / GPA / EC’s) and you try to avoid a direct answer well....as Paul harvey puts it : “Now you know the rest of the story.”

List goes on and on....since it’s pharmacy and you got in an interview with a fairly low GPA (from a post I remember earlier last month) then I would imagine more chances than not (sigh) you will get in. My examples are related to a majority of health care professional interviews not necessarily pharmacy.

Tl;dr : to many reasons no right answer. Just sit and wait and see what happens

Reactions: 2 users