possible to get into medical school right after highschool?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

laughsalot

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
yeah because i heard the minimum requirements to get into alot of medical schools are:
  • 1 year of Biology (with Lab)
  • 1 year of Inorganic Chemistry (with Lab)
  • 1 year of Organic Chemistry (with Lab)
  • 1 year of English
  • 1 year of Calculus or College Level Math
  • 1 semester of Biochemistry (at select schools only)
i could probably finish all that in high school if i set my mind to it and then i could take the MCAT if i was ready right? i would have to take extra math during the summer though. i'm a freshmen in highschool. oh and my school has an IB diploma program too. that would look really good on my resume. i'm going to be in the program next year(sophmore)

Members don't see this ad.

yeah because i heard the minimum requirements to get into alot of medical schools are:
  • 1 year of English
i could probably finish all that in high school if i set my mind to it and then i could take the MCAT if i was ready right? i would have to take extra math during the summer though. i'm a freshmen in highschool. oh and my school has an IB diploma program too. that would look really good on my resume. i'm going to be in the program next year(sophmore)

Many require a Bachelors as well. there are a couple 6 year programs use the search function for more info about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
  • 1 year of English

they dont teach just organic in high school. sorry. IB doesn't either. they also don't offer a biochem course. biochem is included under an option in IB bio and ochem is an option in IB chem, but those aren't seperate classes. while you can technically get most of them prereqs done through IB credit depending on what undergrad you attend, most med schools REQUIRE you to take higher level courses if you do substitute credit. without higher level sciences, most schools disregard all that credit and do not count it. sorry bud, that'll never work. even if they somehow counted it, they would not let you into med school due to your inexperience. there's no way...but honestly, you can prolly do just as well on the MCAT in high school after taking those IB classes than taking them in college. depends on how good your IB program is, too. many argue the high school classes, altho can count as college classes, still do not cover the depth you'd learn in college. i think it's true depending on the courses...i took my IB bio credit and skipped the first year of college bio. i'm a bio major tho and took upper level bio classes. you can also get your general chem. out of the way, too, if you really want to in high school. however, IB chem won't cover everything. additionally, there is absolutely no way you'd ever get organic credit. IB doesn't have ochem as a seperate class. if your school somehow offers a weird class that is all ochem, colleges would never accept that as legit. you could always take ochem on the side at your local university, tho, while you're in high school. still tho...applying from high school, you'd never get in just due to your level of maturity. wouldn't work. sorry, youre gonna have to live it out! if you really want to finish that early, then try getting into a 6-year program or something after high school. and since you said you're a freshman, that means you're 14-15, wow, just go away haha. comeback in 4-5 years.

Like the previous poster said, you should definitely look into the accelerated medical programs. But make sure your a perfect applicant from the beginning to the end. I think it's usually two years to get your bachelors and 4 years of medical school after that and there is no MCAT required.

Dude shut up, and go back and play with your power ranger dolls.

OP is a slacker... should have gotten guaranteed admission out of elementary school like I did.

I think hitting puberty should also be a requirement for admission to medical school.

seriously just read my post. the other ppl's posts aren't gonna help you since they probably don't know squat about IB. oh, also...IB does not look "good" in the eyes of med schools. it just looks good in the eyes of undergrad admissions. like i said, there's no way you'd get ochem credit through IB. you could technically get the rest of the credit tho...but like i said, it's doubtful youd even be considered since youd be so young and inexperienced. your best bet for what you want to do is apply for a 6-year program out of high school

seriously just read my post. the other ppl's posts aren't gonna help you since they probably don't know squat about IB. oh, also...IB does not look "good" in the eyes of med schools. it just looks good in the eyes of undergrad admissions. like i said, there's no way you'd get ochem credit through IB. you could technically get the rest of the credit tho...but like i said, it's doubtful youd even be considered since youd be so young and inexperienced. your best bet for what you want to do is apply for a 6-year program out of high school

The organic option probably only covers the first week or so of a first semester university-level organic course. Also, my IB credit showed up on AMCAS as "IB Credit 25." There was no indication of what that credit was or how I performed on the exams. IB's only really good for a) teaching you how to churn out a few reams of text that say very little and b) clearing all those classes you're supposed to use to be a well-rounded candidate out of the way so that the med schools will never see them on your transcript as you've never taken them. :p Now, the smart thing to do would be to take more advanced classes in those subjects, but it just gets all that much more difficult. This is not to say that those courses aren't entertaining and intellectually stimulating (they are!), but rather that the IB credits don't really get all that much done....

[Edit] And furthermore, if the OP is still considering it, there isn't enough time to take care of all the IB requirements, live like a human being, AND take things like organic chemistry or biochemistry. Some schools will let you out of genchem for IB credit, though I'm not sure how that'd be communicated to med schools. English, too.

Dude shut up, and go back and play with your power ranger dolls.
you wouldn't even have the guts to say that if the previous posters didn't make such "witty" remarks similiar to yours. so stfu please. :lol:
i had a question and i asked. what's wrong with that? you have a problem with people asking questions? smart people ask questions they don't know the answer to while stupid people just sit around making fun of them.

thanks...but even if i take all the required clasess as extra in the colleges alongside my highschool chances of me going to med. school right after highschool is low? becuase my mom told me her professor said that there was this russian girl that lived in the u.s. for her highschool years or something and took all those extra classes in the college along side high school, and got into harvard med right after highschool...

you wouldn't even have the guts to say that if the previous posters didn't make such "witty" remarks similiar to yours. so stfu please. :lol:
i had a question and i asked. what's wrong with that? you have a problem with people asking questions? smart people ask questions they don't know the answer to while stupid people just sit around making fun of them.

thanks...but even if i take all the required clasess as extra in the colleges alongside my highschool chances of me going to med. school right after highschool is low? becuase my mom told me her professor said that there was this russian girl that lived in the u.s. for her highschool years or something and took all those extra classes in the college along side high school, and got into harvard med right after highschool...

No offense but if you are still using words like "stfu" your not ready not only for medical school, but any other professional school. :thumbdown:

it's gonna be really hard to do it if out of high school. Most of the times, when you see people under 18 who get into med school (not that often), they came from a foreign country and were able to get into an university when they are like 14-15

Members don't see this ad :)

You'd have to be a) exceptionally brilliant, b) demonstrably ridiculously motivated, c) very lucky, and d) outrageously mature. And then you might get the same 40% chance as the rest of us, or worse, as the med schools may or may not interpret your age as a negative...

Then again, I know nothing. Interpret with as many grains of salt as you deem appropriate.:thumbup:

some med schools require actual courses, not just the IB credit. For example, some require psych or a year of English, even if you have IB credit , or even a degree in some other language, you still have to have a year of English. Besides, why rush into med school when college is so much fun?

You could look into the European schools that have a standard 6 year program straight from secondary school (or High School as it is called in America). Some of them don't require the MCAT either.

There are a few more little catches. The special combo college/med school programs aside, it is extremely difficult to get into med school with anything less than 3 years as an undergrad. Some schools have this as an official rule. At many others, it's unwritten policy.

There are many activities and experiences that you are expected to participate in besides just taking the prereq courses. You can't gain admission without the non-academic experiences. Experiences during high school don't count, only your participation during the college years. You will need recommendation letters from your college science professors, not from your high school teachers.

Even if you could complete your prereq courses during high school, your application to 4 year med schools would be too weak for you to be considered.

Freshman year in high school is a very good time to start considering which undergraduate colleges interest you and examining their admissions policies. Then plan your high school courses appropriately. That is the practical thing for you to be doing right now. One thing that many eager students wind up regretting that they learned too late is that professional schools frequently only count AP/IB credits for prereqs if the student also takes upper level college courses in the same subject. That can sting when they find out late in the game.

You'd have to be a) exceptionally brilliant, b) demonstrably ridiculously motivated, c) very lucky, and d) outrageously mature.

e) dumb.

Why would you want to miss out on college? Regardless of whether or not it is possible (yes there are people that have gone to medical school at an incredibly young age http://www.cnn.com/2003/EDUCATION/08/25/sprj.sch.wonder.kid.ap/) I just don't see why you would WANT to do it. We all want to be doctors, yes. Its great to be passionate and shoot for the stars in planning your future. But I think part of the maturity aspect that people keep talking about is realizing that there is a whole lot of learning that goes on in college that isn't found in books or a classroom. Chill out, do some dumb stuff like everybody does, and enjoy highschool.

i agree with most of what's been said. check into accelerated programs, but otherwise focus on getting into college first. do well in high school and follow what your guidance counselors tell you.

FWIW, i went to a high school that offered IB and AP courses. none of the IB kids went any further than I did solely from IB. If they're distinguished scholars at Harvard, it's because they're dang smart not because of IB. Plus, with IB, don't you have to take all IB classes? AP is a pick and choose kinda thing and I think it's more transcript/credit friendly when you do want to transfer credit to an undergrad school.

that being said, if you like the idea of IB and want to do that, go for it. it's just not the only option if you want to get into a good school or med school down the line.

Are we seriously having this discussion? I do not want to make judgments about you OP, but you have to have "Lebron James" or "Kobe Bryant" aptitude and achievement to be thinking a leap from high school to the big leagues (e.g. medical school).

Take a breath and enjoy life. Four years of college can help you grow and re-affirm your belief that medicine is right for you. How sure are you that you will still be considering medicine three-four years from now? That is just some food for thought.

• 1 year of English

You are out of your friggin' mind.

Enjoy college.

There are schools that allow entrance without a bachelors but they all require a minimum number of college credit hours (usually around 90-100 I believe).

Is this thread supposed to be a joke?

e) dumb.

Why would you want to miss out on college? Regardless of whether or not it is possible (yes there are people that have gone to medical school at an incredibly young age http://www.cnn.com/2003/EDUCATION/08/25/sprj.sch.wonder.kid.ap/) I just don't see why you would WANT to do it. We all want to be doctors, yes. Its great to be passionate and shoot for the stars in planning your future. But I think part of the maturity aspect that people keep talking about is realizing that there is a whole lot of learning that goes on in college that isn't found in books or a classroom. Chill out, do some dumb stuff like everybody does, and enjoy highschool.

YES YES YES YES YES!!! this is the time where you can be stupid, and just live it up, party, whatever. If you do want to pursue he 6 year program go ahead you know what you wanna do, im just saying LIVE IT UP!

Oddly enough, I think some people here are more immature than the OP him/herself.

Simply put, high school courses are not taught at an undergrad level/pace.

thanks...but even if i take all the required clasess as extra in the colleges alongside my highschool chances of me going to med. school right after highschool is low? becuase my mom told me her professor said that there was this russian girl that lived in the u.s. for her highschool years or something and took all those extra classes in the college along side high school, and got into harvard med right after highschool...[/quote]

Harvard requires a Bachelor degree. So either this is a fabricated story or the russian girl actually got her High School Diploma and Bachelor Degree at the same time!!!

Is this thread supposed to be a joke?

Joke or not, kids and their parents get grandiose ideas in their heads & need to hear more than just a "no" before they'll give them up. They need to know why their plans are unrealistic. The realization that they aren't as special as they think comes hard.

You are out of your friggin' mind.

Enjoy college.

Agree with this. You don't want to miss out on college. College is where you have the most freedom to try new things, the most time to socialize, have new experiences. In med school you will spend most of your time in the library or wards. A lot of the study skills and social skills you pick up in college will help you tremendously in medicine. And for many, college is a great and fun experience. You probably learn more outside of the classroom than in during those 4 years.

Once you start med school, you launch into the next phase of your life and your social life takes a back burner to your professional aspirations. So your teens/twenties are basically over (or at least scaled back significantly). People who want to skip past or abbreviate college for med school don't have a good sense of what med school is all about. You need to get college out of your system or you will spend med school lamenting what could have been, because that iron gate swings shut once you get to med school. There really is no rush, med school will always be there if you want it enough. But at 15 you really shouldn't want it that bad yet -- you cannot possibly have enough exposure over other choices, don't know your aptitudes, and probably have a vague and inaccurate sense of what medicine is all about. It is not like House or ER or Grey's at all.

Generally in the US, there are few to no programs where you skip college and go straight to med school. There are 6-7 year combined BS/MD programs, which are becoming fewer and fewer each year as the average age of physicians goes up each year, and the emphasis on life experience is increasing. And there are occasional prodigies like the 12 year old who went to Chicago a few years back, which tend to be more publicity stunts than evidence that adcoms are actually open to this. They are the rare unicorns of med school; you will never see a herd.

And med school interviewers focus heavilly on maturity. This doesn't mean no teenager will be adequately mature, but the average one sure isn't. And maturity has nothing to do with whether you can do the science courses. Most people with decent grades can, but that doesn't make them mature. It is an issue for the latter two years of med school, when you will be dealing with heavy subjects such as death and disease, talking with patients and families about hospice (end of life) care or DNR orders (pulling the plug), dealing with patients older than your grandparents. Dealing with dying children. Dealing with sexuality and sex practice questions. For this kind of stuff, a few more years of seasoning as a college student often make all the difference.

Other countries have systems where you go straight into med school from high school. They predate the US system, and the US system has largely rejected that model, striving for something very different in its med students. Thus far people are happy with the kind of physician we are churning out, and the average age has continued to climb over time.

I sure hope not; medicine requires maturity.

wow if i was being attacked like he was i would probably respond just like he did, the rest of the people in this thread are being just as immature.

dont bother asking Qs here talk to a college, there are programs in texas where you can take full on college credits (including o chem) for your senior year in highschool. It is called TAMS

wow if i was being attacked like he was i would probably respond just like he did, the rest of the people in this thread are being just as immature.

dont bother asking Qs here talk to a college, there are programs in texas where you can take full on college credits (including o chem) for your senior year in highschool. It is called TAMS

The dude asked about taking what most people consider an unwise path. Everyone advised him of such, some blunter than others. He actually got some good advice in this thread, if he is mature enough to use it. You need a lot thicker skin if you are going into medicine -- you will hear your share of flip and snide comments pretty regularly, from nurses, attendings, residents, and had better be able to shrug these things off. I think this is yet another reason you might not want to rush to med school so early, before you have honed these defense mechanisms.

to OP: do you believe everything mommy tells you? Mommy's professor lied.

you can go to med school right after high school...........if you live in asia

you can go to med school right after high school...........if you live in asia

You can also do it in Australia but the school is a 6-7 year program instead of four. And I think that there is a much higher attrition rate.

As far as I can tell you really cannot go directly from high school in the US to medical school.

Except that requires you to a) be a Texas resident b) be a freshman right now and c) have taken the SAT already and he probably is neither a or b.

You are right. I am a stupid person that needs to STFU, because i think its ridiculous for a high school freshman to think hes ready for medical school.

Smart people perform there research before asking ridiculous questions on an anonymous forum.

Even Doogie Howser had to graduate from princeton...at age 10

• 1 year of English

The minimum requirements for regular admission to most medical schools does require a bachelor's degree in addition to the premedical coursework. Since it is unlikely that you would have a bachelor's degree upon completion of secondary school here in the United States, I don't believe that you would qualify for admission.

There are BS-MD programs at many medical schools including my two which have specific admissions criteria. You may want to do a Google search and see if you meet the requirements (SAT scores, secondary school GPA) to enroll in one of these programs.

Some students have accelerated through secondary school and university because of superior academic ability (perhaps two or three out of hundreds of thousands). Since you are still in secondary school (a freshman at that), I doubt that you are one of them. As others have stated, going to university is not necessarily a negative experience or something to be skipped and in your case, may be a great experience for the sake of maturity and world knowledge.

The students at my two medical schools who end up meeting the requirements for either the BS-MD or Integrated programs have a very superior level of maturity in addition to very strong academic skills.

I seriously think that the OP is just a gunner pre-med..... he/she started this thread just so pre-meds like us can waste our times to trash talk instead of studyin for 4.0.... enuff said im out...

o btw i hate gunners

are you allowed to drive w/o adult supervision ?
are you allowed to buy beers w/o a fake ID?
are you allowed to vote legally ?

NO? enjoy HIGH SCHOOL first:)

The dude asked about taking what most people consider an unwise path. Everyone advised him of such, some blunter than others. He actually got some good advice in this thread, if he is mature enough to use it. You need a lot thicker skin if you are going into medicine -- you will hear your share of flip and snide comments pretty regularly, from nurses, attendings, residents, and had better be able to shrug these things off. I think this is yet another reason you might not want to rush to med school so early, before you have honed these defense mechanisms.

i was just pointing out how immature these "mature college students" are being to the immature high school kid. Heh i dont need any honing of defense mechanisms, i dont give 2 craps about what other ppl say most times.

:laugh:, This thread is freakin hilarious. OP has to be joking, at least I seriously hope so, for his/her sake

If you are the Mozart of Medicine, you can go straight to medical school at age 10. I am ok with that. Otherwise, you cannot perform my vasectomy until you have been to your high school prom. I have to protect the boys.