Possible to make ~400k/yr while taking 4-6 months off?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Coldplayfan123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is this possible logistically? If not in rads, which fields?

If I can take this much time off, how much $ could you make in the other 6-8 months?

Ideally I'd like to do a specialty where I could earn ~400 a year, working 6 months (Continuous) of that year, and taking 6 months off.

If anyone has any suggestions. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yup, good point. What about in rads? Location doesn't matter.

If not 400k, maybe 300k/year.

Nope. Sorry. Would suggest you check out hospitalist medicine. Half the year off and high pay, esp if you go to remote areas. Radiology is saturated and part timers get the worst pay.

This thread is cringeworthy. What a tool bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
I mean, who can blame someone for wanting to make some coin? He's just barking up a tree that died ten years ago.

I can get up to 4 months of time off per year in addition to most weekends and still make that much. However, you would need to spread it out the whole year. No group would allow you to take 4 months off continuously because of daily day, night, and weekend coverage. Being a radiologist is difficult work. You work your butt off every day. You would burn out without time off.

Such schedule is only available for a field with SHIFT work and high demand.

In none of Surgical fields you can take 6 months off in a row.
As a hospitalist you can not take 6 months off in a row.

Your best option is to do ED. Work your a$$ off half of the year and take the other half off. I don't think you can make that much money, but at least you can have half a year off.

Thanks, I'll look into EM. I'm from a remote area anyway, so working there wouldn't bother me. I wouldn't mind working hard for 6 months of the year...it seems the limiting factor here is where could I be hired that would allow me to work 6 months of the year? Seems like a tough sell.

I didn't mean to offend by the post--I just am only looking to work half the year.

Salary isn't a huge deal to me, heck, even if it was 200-250. I just need to pay off loans and some other debts, and my goal was within 5 years (which would have required 300).

Your best bet would be to work for 6 months, quit, then apply for another job. No full-time position will give you 6 months off in a row. None.

Basically just get 6 months worth of locums lined up, work, then travel for 6 months.

The danger would be that if you decide to settle into a normal gig, people will be skeptical of your desire for longevity with the group.

Basically just get 6 months worth of locums lined up, work, then travel for 6 months.

The danger would be that if you decide to settle into a normal gig, people will be skeptical of your desire for longevity with the group.

Plus likely self employed and maybe no benefits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After quitting 4-5 jobs in a time frame of 5-6 years, very few decent groups will even consider your application.

Definitely ER. You'll have to work like a dog when you are working in order to make up for all that time off but it can definitely happen. 350k/year working 3 12 hour shifts a week is pretty average from my home town (southern state). I'd spend your free time getting an MBA then go into administration. If you're really looking to make some cash you need to be the guy that signs the doctor's paychecks.

You can make 300k in EM working 6 months a yr quite easily. You would have to work about 140-160 hrs/month to hit that with a locums gig.

Actually yes, ED Radiology. 1 week on, two weeks off. You can switch schedules with people to get months off at a time.

You can do the 7 on/7 off night job and make about $400k , but you'll only get a week-long stretch off at a time, not many months even though you're technically off 6 months. I've seen some 1 week on, 2 week off night jobs (so off 8 months) that pay around $300-350k/yr so you'll get up to 2 weeks off in a row.

i feel like taking 1 month off from medicine =====> brain drain. i cant imagine taking 4-6 months off and expect to be a decent clinician!

This isn't the golden age of medicine anymore. I think you are dreaming. Your aspirations don't jibe with the current, or certainly, future practice of medicine.
Just my perspective from 40 years in the biz(now retired).