Post 9/11 GI bill

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oromodoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody,
I am a nurse (BS Nursing/Biochemistry) currently working. I am thinking about joining the Air Force as an RN. My questions are as follow,

1. Does the Post 9/11 GI bill pay my full tuition and fees for Medical school in state or out of sate? what is the deal with the cap?

2. If I end up going to a private MD school, will the GI bill pay only $17,000/per year even though the average private med schools tuition is about $70,000 per year?
Does that mean I have to take out loans anyway?

3. AF offered me 3 years or 4 years contract as RN, which deal should i pick if I decided to join the AF?
-The 3 year contract is with $40,000 loan repayment and I will qualify for 100% post 9/11 GI bill after working 36 months (3years) but since i don't owe anything from undergrad the loan repayment is useless to me
- The 4 year contract comes with $30,000 sign on bonus, 100% GI bill after the contract is over

I would love to join the AF because I want to serve but now I need to make my decision based on whether the GI bill pays for full tuition and fees for MD school. Because either I go to medical school now as civilian or join the AF for 3-4 years and qualify for 100% post 9/11 GI bill. Joining the AF will delay me about 2-3 years or begin med school in 2014 as civilian. I know about the HSPS and HSUHS so let us not mention that now.
Thank you for your time!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everybody,
I am a nurse (BS Nursing/Biochemistry) currently working. I am thinking about joining the Air Force as an RN. My questions are as follow,

1. Does the Post 9/11 GI bill pay my full tuition and fees for Medical school in state or out of sate? what is the deal with the cap?

My understanding is that the cap is $18K for private or up to the in-state rate for public schools. Why the cap? Because they can.

2. If I end up going to a private MD school, will the GI bill pay only $17,000/per year even though the average private med schools tuition is about $70,000 per year?
Does that mean I have to take out loans anyway?

Well....no, You only need loans if you don't have other money or scholarships/grants to pay for school.

3. AF offered me 3 years or 4 years contract as RN, which deal should i pick if I decided to join the AF?
-The 3 year contract is with $40,000 loan repayment and I will qualify for 100% post 9/11 GI bill after working 36 months (3years) but since i don't owe anything from undergrad the loan repayment is useless to me
- The 4 year contract comes with $30,000 sign on bonus, 100% GI bill after the contract is over

I would love to join the AF because I want to serve but now I need to make my decision based on whether the GI bill pays for full tuition and fees for MD school. Because either I go to medical school now as civilian or join the AF for 3-4 years and qualify for 100% post 9/11 GI bill. Joining the AF will delay me about 2-3 years or begin med school in 2014 as civilian. I know about the HSPS and HSUHS so let us not mention that now.
Thank you for your time!

If your goal is using military service to pay for medical school, I don't think joining as a nurse is the way to go. The post 9/11 GI bill is unlikely to pay for all of med school.

If I end up going to a private MD school, will the GI bill pay only $17,000/per year even though the average private med schools tuition is about $70,000 per year?

I don't think your $70K tuition figure is remotely accurate. Med school's expensive, but it's not THAT expensive. Maybe total cost of attendance at one of the more expensive schools.

As I understand it, the Post-9/11 GI Bill pays
- tuition, to a limit
- housing @ E5 w/ dep BAH rates for the zip code
- $1000/year for books

So to pull an example out of thin air, if you went to UC San Diego for med school
- $18,077.50 (of $35,500) tuition
- $2133/month x9 months = $19,197/year
- $1000/year for books

or a $38K benefit per year. You'd still need loans or other funding to cover the tuition shortfall.

Depending on what school you go to, extra tuition may be covered by the Yellow Ribben program, too.

Members don't see this ad :)
I meant to say $70K including tuition, fees and living expenses for private medical schools. I apologize. Thank you very much for breaking it down.

I don't think your $70K tuition figure is remotely accurate. Med school's expensive, but it's not THAT expensive. Maybe total cost of attendance at one of the more expensive schools.

- tuition, to a limit
- $1000/year for books

So to pull an example out of thin air, if you went to UC San Diego for med school
- $1000/year for books

or a $38K benefit per year. You'd still need loans or other funding to cover the tuition shortfall.

Depending on what school you go to, extra tuition may be covered by the Yellow Ribben program, too.

To be honest I am really anxious about taking out loans but if that is the only choice I have, I can't do anything about it. Thank you for your reply Sr.

And post 9/11 only covers 36 months. Most med schools go year round at some point so you'll need loans to cover the end.

On the iPhone

I meant to say $70K including tuition, fees and living expenses for private medical schools. I apologize. Thank you very much for breaking it down.

Its interesting but my total sum of benefits was actually reduced with the post 9/11 GIBill

So if my instate state tuition is $32k, is it only covering $18k only or since I am resident it covers the whole tuition?

Last edited:
So if my instate state tuition is $32k, is it only covering $18k or since I am resident it covers the whole tuition?

- tuition, to a limit
- $1000/year for books

- $1000/year for books

So if my instate state tuition is $32k, is it only covering $18k or since I am resident it covers the whole tuition?

AFAIK, state of residence has nothing to do with how much the GI Bill will cover. It's capped.

Your state of residence may affect how much a school charges you.

There are SOME schools that participate in the Yellow Ribbon program, where they will contribute some $ to close the gap

http://gibill.va.gov/gi_bill_info/ch33/yrp/yrp_list_2012.htm

For example, the Stanford School of Medicine will kick in an extra $3K/year in tuition.

There don't seem to be many med schools that participate.

I got now. I have been doing research and i saw your feed back a lot. I just want to say thank you for your dedication to answer our questions and helping us informed.

AFAIK, state of residence has nothing to do with how much the GI Bill will cover. It's capped.

Your state of residence may affect how much a school charges you.

There are SOME schools that participate in the Yellow Ribbon program, where they will contribute some $ to close the gap

http://gibill.va.gov/gi_bill_info/ch33/yrp/yrp_list_2012.htm

For example, the Stanford School of Medicine will kick in an extra $3K/year in tuition.

There don't seem to be many med schools that participate.