Post Bacc Advice for pre dental

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amaghsou

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I know everyone is waiting to here back from dental schools right about now and no one wants to think about the "back up" plan. With the academic semester coming to an end and the new semester approaching, I'm looking into applying to post-bacc programs since I haven't seen any positive emails. Though still hopeful that one of the 11 schools may contact me back for interviews etc. I'm thinking of enrolling in a post bacc just in case I don't get in for the class of 2021.

I've flipped this site upside down trying to find decent info on successful post bacc programs that matriculate students into dental school, but no real luck; most info available is for medical students and I don't think the information translates equally.

I'd love to hear back from anyone who is in a successful post-bacc program designed for traditional science students planning on going to dental schools, anyone who has any helpful information, OR anyone who went through a post bacc and then got accepted.

Some of the programs I am considering are:

Temple dental school post bacc
GMU/GU G2
VCU Cert

Members don't see this ad.

I did the post-bacc at UNCG and I got 3 acceptances yesterday and have a post-dec interview coming up. Here is the website--Robin Maxwell's contact info is at the bottom, she is AWESOME and will answer any of your questions. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I did the PHAP post-bacc at CSU East Bay in California and am currently a dental student. The program has a good track record of getting people into dental school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys,

I know everyone is waiting to here back from dental schools right about now and no one wants to think about the "back up" plan. With the academic semester coming to an end and the new semester approaching, I'm looking into applying to post-bacc programs since I haven't seen any positive emails. Though still hopeful that one of the 11 schools may contact me back for interviews etc. I'm thinking of enrolling in a post bacc just in case I don't get in for the class of 2021.

I've flipped this site upside down trying to find decent info on successful post bacc programs that matriculate students into dental school, but no real luck; most info available is for medical students and I don't think the information translates equally.

I'd love to hear back from anyone who is in a successful post-bacc program designed for traditional science students planning on going to dental schools, anyone who has any helpful information, OR anyone who went through a post bacc and then got accepted.

Some of the programs I am considering are:

Temple dental school post bacc
GMU/GU G2
VCU Cert
I did the undergrad post-bacc program at VCU (the "career changer" one for non-science majors). However, during my time at VCU, I've met a few people who have done the graduate level CERT program. One person is a D4 at VCU now, and she said the CERT program was harder than dental school itself but in the end, she was glad she did it because it prepared her well. Another person who is now a D1 at VCU said that CERT is extremely hard, but if you do well in it (like all A's and maybe one B), you'll definitely get into VCU--but of course, that's just one person's opinion. A third person I know who did CERT at VCU dropped out after the first semester because it was too challenging for her. So overall, sounds like it's a tough program, but if you get through it and do well, you have a good chance at admission.

I did the undergrad post-bacc program at VCU (the "career changer" one for non-science majors). However, during my time at VCU, I've met a few people who have done the graduate level CERT program. One person is a D4 at VCU now, and she said the CERT program was harder than dental school itself but in the end, she was glad she did it because it prepared her well. Another person who is now a D1 at VCU said that CERT is extremely hard, but if you do well in it (like all A's and maybe one B), you'll definitely get into VCU--but of course, that's just one person's opinion. A third person I know who did CERT at VCU dropped out after the first semester because it was too challenging for her. So overall, sounds like it's a tough program, but if you get through it and do well, you have a good chance at admission.
Thank you for the response. Yeah, I spoke to many programs and ended up choosing G2 at GMU. One of the VCU dental schools directors told me that any program will lead you to DS as long as you do well in it. I heard VCU is ridiculous with high drop out rates, so I didn't think it made sense.

Don't do a post bac unless you have a failed cycle and your gpa is beyond repair. I know someone who had a 3.8 gpa, didn't get in, did a post bac as a backup, did mediocre, and completely ruined his application. I know another person who didn't get in after two cycles with a 3.5 with no post bac and got in on the third. If you do want to do one, any one with a high linkage rate to a dental school would do. I personally might consider LECOM's post bac if I absolutely have to after this cycle because its cheap. Don't do the ones geared towards medical schools if there is no linkage, do the ones geared towards dental.