Post-Bacc, DIY, SMP or Job?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Flapjackrack

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm curious as to what direction to head in. I just got an email from the last school I had to hear back from after interviewing. 0/3 on even a waitlist (all MD but I applied DO as well). I have started applying to a few SMP programs but I also am thinking about the possibility of simply working for a year. My stats are:

~3.5cGPA
~3.3sGPA (I'm in my last semester)
508 MCAT
Tons of research, been at it since I was a freshmen.
Loads of ECs, a few great leadership positions in those while in college
Some clinical volunteering, but loads of shadowing and other volunteering.

Any input? I'm looking towards OR assistant, clinical research, or scribing jobs right now. If I work, I may try to do grade replacement on at least one class. Are my grades bad enough to risk an SMP or should I go to Post-Bacc route/DIY. I don't know much about any of this stuff.

Also, is reapplying this may/june a good move? or wait until after this gap year?

Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am by no means an expert on this topic but will try to answer based on what I have read here on the forums.Given your stats, I don't think a formal SMP is worth the risk. Considering you got 3 interviews at MD schools, I would personally focus more on sharpening my interview skills as well as finishing school on a high note. As far as the year goes, as long as your open to the idea of DO, you should considering being a scribe or some alternative clinic job while taking a few classes on the side. Don't think its necessary to wait after the gap year to reapply.
- Good luck!