Post Bacc thoughts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bneal88

Reaction score
Hello everybody,
I am currently a junior in undergrad that is looking to go to a post-bacc then med-school for psychiatry. My stem advisor told me to go to a career-change post-bacc since I decided late on med-school. I worry that my stats won’t suffice to a post bacc program as I did not initially take college serious because of my immaturity. In the last year and a half I have had a 3.7 gpa but in junior college I had a 2.6. My science gpa is around a 3.1 but I currently have an A in biology and still have to take other science courses. I am also about to start a 9-month volunteer program at a nearby hospital in california and a member of The international honors society in psychology. Sorry for the long post but are my chances legitimate? I appreciate the feedback. P.S. sorry for the rambling.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everybody,
I am currently a junior in undergrad that is looking to go to a post-bacc then med-school for psychiatry. My stem advisor told me to go to a career-change post-bacc since I decided late on med-school. I worry that my stats won’t suffice to a post bacc program as I did not initially take college serious because of my immaturity. In the last year and a half I have had a 3.7 gpa but in junior college I had a 2.6. My science gpa is around a 3.1 but I currently have an A in biology and still have to take other science courses. I am also about to start a 9-month volunteer program at a nearby hospital in california and a member of The international honors society in psychology. Sorry for the long post but are my chances legitimate? I appreciate the feedback. P.S. sorry for the rambling.
Read this:

Reactions: 1 users
It is never too late

Psychology is not going to help you.
Your friends are the sciences so focus on those to show an upward trend in grades. the science GPA is your number 1 focus. Volunteering is nice but not on par with a competitive science GPA. If you have 5 years experience working in a nearby hospital in California but have a 3.1 GPA in sciences, your competitiveness is on the very low end. If you have an impressive upward trend in scores in your science GPA since your college years, coupled with a competitive MCAT score, these will make you competitive

Make your future science courses your number one goal

Cheers
Thank you!

Reactions: 1 user