Post-interview Correspondence 2015-2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Laplace

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone received anything unsolicited yet (not in response to a thank you note)? Or a positive response to a "I'm ranking you #1"? I realize a lot of programs may have changed their policy this year about post-interview communication so just wanted to see, mainly wondering about Duke or Mayo.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Nothing from anywhere, including Mayo. Every program I have been at has said they're going to refrain from sending these love letters unless the student is a URM or PSTP, and in those cases, I think it makes sense. Otherwise, I am just going to rank based on how I feel.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes 2 unsolicited. One from interviewer. One from PD.

What program? Looks like Duke and Mayo both historically send these so was wondering if anyone had heard from either program, I hadn't received anything from them.

Last edited:
Don't trust post interview correspondence. I had friends get some of the most florid "you will match here" language who ended up at different programs. If they do say something like that to you it only means your close to match. Just let the match process happen.

Reactions: 1 user
I just got some handwritten love letters from a big program (though none of those listed above) that was reachy for me (but unpopular location), and didn't even invite me to interview until I updated and asked late in the game. I bet they send these to most or all of their interviewees. They are also the only program that told me to 'stay in touch,' rather than being explicit about no post-interview contact. Not sure what to do about this, and I will still rank them how I liked them, but man, these really do mess with your mind even if you don't want them to.

I just got some handwritten love letters from a big program (though none of those listed above) that was reachy for me (but unpopular location), and didn't even invite me to interview until I updated and asked late in the game. I bet they send these to most or all of their interviewees. They are also the only program that told me to 'stay in touch,' rather than being explicit about no post-interview contact. Not sure what to do about this, and I will still rank them how I liked them, but man, these really do mess with your mind even if you don't want them to.
I totally understand. Unless that personalized letter was a signed contract take it as just a Happy Holidays card. Still awesome you got that though!

Post interview correspondence largely means nothing IMO. I wouldn't trust a thing.

They are also the only program that told me to 'stay in touch,' rather than being explicit about no post-interview contact.

Also had this happen..... Am wondering the same thing. Does it mean that you are lower ranked than other people but could improve your chances by telling them where you stand/ keeping in touch?

follow up, does it REALLY make a difference if you dont "keep in touch"?

Members don't see this ad :)
@Danglebells: doubt it

It would be good to see what programs are still playing the game though. Either from myself or through friends, looks like Mayo, Duke, and Northwestern so far. Also some MGH panel chair calls. Anyone hear back from any other programs (unsolicited or reply to love letter/rank #1 email)?

It would be good to see what programs are still playing the game though. Either from myself or through friends, looks like Mayo, Duke, and Northwestern so far. Also some MGH panel chair calls. Anyone hear back from any other programs (unsolicited or reply to love letter/rank #1 email)?

Hahah we are on very different levels.

I am a below average DO student. For me/others applying to low-mid tier programs, I assume it means a bit more to be a good "fit" to programs, and as such, I have heard from a lot of programs as recently as this afternoon. I have had phone calls from PDs, and a few emails from current residents and PDs.
My guess is that at this level, programs have to sell themselves just as much as the applicants do. They are really at risk of getting stuck with terrible residents.

For you nerds in contention for MGH/Mayo/Duke, I would assume that the programs get so many applications that they are less likely to adjust their rank lists in any significant way for personality traits. If you are on the radar at these programs, you aren't going to get bumped down the rank list by some other applicant because he/she emailed the PD a few times.

So did anyone get post-interview correspondence from Mayo/Duke or no?

Did you totally not read the very post you quoted?
Yes it sounded as though that person was saying that there was post-interview correspondence; however, everyone before him said there hadn't been.

Bump, anything new? I imagine the next 2 weeks are when the majority of programs that still do "rank to match" calls/emails will start making contact

I've gotten a couple letters, 1 email, 1 phone call but none mentioned ranking at all but rather "hope you consider us" type thing

Any one heard back from the Boston programs?

It's easy to get sucked up in this post-interview communication...but really, why do that to yourself. Rank your favorites in order and let the match take care of the rest. Don't send programs anything. Don't obsess if you haven't gotten anything. Ps - got a post-interview communication about good fit from a program I canceled an interview from...if that gives some light on how meaningless it can be.

Reactions: 5 users
It's easy to get sucked up in this post-interview communication...but really, why do that to yourself. Rank your favorites in order and let the match take care of the rest. Don't send programs anything. Don't obsess if you haven't gotten anything. Ps - got a post-interview communication about good fit from a program I canceled an interview from...if that gives some light on how meaningless it can be.
This is totally the site where people come chill about things.

Bumping this. Anyone else receive anything recently?

I wonder how much it means?

Last edited:
Wake sent me a follow-up letter in the mail post interview a few weeks ago.

I'll just reiterate. This correspondence means absolutely nothing.

Carry on.

I'll just reiterate. This correspondence means absolutely nothing.

Carry on.

Someone needs to just close this thread, it's full of USELESS replies like this one. We all understand it means nothing, thanks for reminding us for the 1518649864th time.

Someone needs to just close this thread, it's full of USELESS replies like this one. We all understand it means nothing, thanks for reminding us for the 1518649864th time.
If I close it, someone will just create another one. Better to bunch all the neuroticism in one place.

Reactions: 3 users

U Mad bro? What were you expecting exactly, a host of replies saying "oh yeah Brigham called me and they totally matched me!!!1!"? It's all in good fun, I've been through this twice before with residency and fellowship.

U Mad bro? What were you expecting exactly, a host of replies saying "oh yeah Brigham called me and they totally matched me!!!1!"? It's all in good fun, I've been through this twice before with residency and fellowship.

Haha fair enough, but speculation is somewhat fun at this stage when there's literally nothing to go off of, despite the fact that it may have no correlation on the match outcome.

Last edited:
bump...just curious -- has there been like none this year!

bump...just curious -- has there been like none this year!

Couple hand written thank you cards from USC. Also some other vague stuff from other programs but nothing really to write home about.

Last edited:
I'm applying med/peds, but those programs are generally ascribing to the medicine policy of avoiding postinterview contact (outside of meaningful contact like "this element of the program we weren't sure about continuing will in fact be in place"). I've been contacted by a couple programs, just one of which I would say was a "love letter". It's a turn off to me frankly, an indication they're not so pro-student as they may like to convey

Reactions: 1 users
I agree with the no post-interview communication policy. It just creates unnecessary stress on the parts of candidates especially given that these e-mails mean next to nothing. Whatever, ROL done (I've heard it takes six seconds for the match computer to come up with the list so I guess that's done too). Can't wait for match day.

If you want to share, what sort of responses did people receive upon telling their number one they were ranking the program first?

I got an email from one of my top programs yesterday reminding me to promptly get my paperwork in after match. It's the only program that sent such information. I know it doesn't mean anything but I really wish they wouldn't do stuff like that just a few days before match. I had to read it closely a few times to convince myself it was meaningless.

I got an email from one of my top programs yesterday reminding me to promptly get my paperwork in after match. It's the only program that sent such information. I know it doesn't mean anything but I really wish they wouldn't do stuff like that just a few days before match. I had to read it closely a few times to convince myself it was meaningless.

I know which one you are implying since I got the same one yesterday....

The MGH tease continues per tradition

what the hell would the point of teasing now? nothing can change, and they shouldn't know who they're getting anyway... bizarre