Post UG, Working Full Time- Is Community College OK?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thegardeningmedstudent

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey!

I'm graduating UG from a great university and a non-traditional premed student for a variety of reasons. My two year plan as it stands is to work full-time in research that I'm passionate about with a medical school, however I still need to take (and WANT to retake) certain prereqs to make my science GPA stronger and apply to med school.
Everything else is "excellent"- study abroad, steady employment, over 3.5 gpa in my major, intern and shadowing experience, etc etc, but I still need to take physics, Orgo 2, and maybe a few more courses to boost my science GPA (plus the MCAT)

Will me working full time be a valid circumstance to take courses at a CC?
I want to do undergrad, but in the name of self-care and time, I want to know if Med schools will be alright with me taking these courses at a CC.

I'm new to this forum, so I appreciate your kind and helpful responses!

jojo

Members don't see this ad.

Generally CC courses are okay unless it's obvious you're using them as a crutch or haven't proven yourself academically in the past. It also looks like you're only trying to take a few classes there, so I don't think this would hurt you at all.

I was in a similar situation where I had to take some prereqs at a CC because I was working full time, the CC was cheaper and the closest 4-year uni was 45 mins away. It hasn't seemed to affect me at all.

Reactions: 1 users
I would check with the med schools you plan to apply to. I took a single prereq as a postbacc at a CC and one of the schools I got into this cycle required that I retake it at a 4-year university.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey!

I'm graduating UG from a great university and a non-traditional premed student for a variety of reasons. My two year plan as it stands is to work full-time in research that I'm passionate about with a medical school, however I still need to take (and WANT to retake) certain prereqs to make my science GPA stronger and apply to med school.
Everything else is "excellent"- study abroad, steady employment, over 3.5 gpa in my major, intern and shadowing experience, etc etc, but I still need to take physics, Orgo 2, and maybe a few more courses to boost my science GPA (plus the MCAT)

I want to do undergrad, but in the name of self-care and time, I want to know if Med schools will be alright with me taking these courses at a CC.

I'm new to this forum, so I appreciate your kind and helpful responses!

jojo
No need to retake prereqs unless they're below a C. Instead, I'd take upper-level bio classes if you need to.

Reactions: 1 user
For the vast majority of med schools, you'd be fine taking CC postbac courses. But did you check to see if your employment benefits include free classes, some of which might be offered at night?

Reactions: 1 user