This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iiTxpremedii

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an undergraduate student at a state school. With the incentive to graduate in early (recommendation by my HS counselor), I used all of my AP credits and community college credits to finish and get a BS in psych in 3 years. I went to my last choice school (was an environment which was not academically conducive to my learning style, housing was bad for most of my time here, as well as bad work / life/ family balance) Here are my stats.

Gen chem : B- / C
Gen Chem Lab : A / A
Bio : B / B+
Ochem : B- / D
Ochem Lab A / A
Biochem : C- (only took biochem 1)
Bio lab: C+
Physics : C / C

cGPA = 2.953
sGPA = 2.43

MCAT (taken during the summer prior to my junior year)
124 / 121 / 123 / 124

I was accepted at AUC, SGU but only really applied to see if I would get in or not.

I have extensive experience in research, volunteering and shadowing, and am looking for advice from anyone (especially those who have been in a similar position).

Should I even consider SMP / post bacc since both my gpa and mcat are low?

If I am retaking and there are no other institutions near me (I don't want to retake at the school I'm at now), will retaking improve my app at all since the courses will be from a different school?

I am highly interested in DO and really am just looking for a career as a primary care physician in IM / FM.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You need to retake the MCAT. A 492 is too low for your app to be considered by most DO schools. You should aim for 505 or above.

I recommend re-taking Orgo 2 and Biochemistry. I believe nearly all schools require a C or higher on science prereqs. Retaking them will give you more opportunities and prepare you for your MCAT retake.

It would help us a lot if you post your cGPA, sGPA, and credit hours. Those numbers will determine if an SMP is necessary or not.

Stay far away from Caribbean schools.

I am an undergraduate student at a state school. With the incentive to graduate in early (recommendation by my HS counselor), I used all of my AP credits and community college credits to finish and get a BS in psych in 3 years. I went to my last choice school (was an environment which was not academically conducive to my learning style, housing was bad for most of my time here, as well as bad work / life/ family balance) Here are my stats.

Gen chem : B- / C
Gen Chem Lab : A / A
Bio : B / B+
Ochem : B- / D
Ochem Lab A / A
Biochem : C- (only took biochem 1)
Bio lab: C+
Physics : C / C

MCAT (taken during the summer prior to my junior year)
124 / 121 / 123 / 124

I was accepted at AUC, SGU but only really applied to see if I would get in or not.

I have extensive experience in research, volunteering and shadowing, and am looking for advice from anyone (especially those who have been in a similar position).

Should I even consider SMP / post bacc since both my gpa and mcat are low?

If I am retaking and there are no other institutions near me (I don't want to retake at the school I'm at now), will retaking improve my app at all since the courses will be from a different school?

I am highly interested in DO and really am just looking for a career as a primary care physician in IM / FM.
It was a given you'd be accepted to the Carib predators since you're still breathing and can write a tuition check.

Read this, and yes, you have to retake the MCAT. Your score right now is lethal.

Reactions: 1 user
Goals: retake the MCAT an get at least a 505+ (since you will be retaking, this is crucial. Retaking the MCAT and receiving another sub 500 score might be lethal for your application).

Next, retake your courses that are under a C. This is also essential, since many medical schools require for you to get at least a C in all of the prereqs.

You will also likely need an SMP, but right now, it's possible that your stats are not competitive to be accepted in one. You may need to take some post-bac classes to raise your GPA before applying to an SMP.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Reactions: 1 user