PPS at Midyear?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Glycerin

Commercially Unavailable
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, the big debate seems to be whether or not PPS is a waste of time for those seeking a PGY-1 residency. I know of people that registered for PPS and had a good experience, some that registered and felt it was a waste of time, and others who didn't register and wished/wondered if they should have.

Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I think I have a pretty good idea of where I want to go and what I want to do, so I probably will not do PPS.

However, if someone is unsure and wants to see lots of programs to see what's out there I think it sounds like a great idea.

PPS is generally more for people who are seeking employment. You should be able to get a look at all the residency programs at the showcase. Most programs do not interview for residency spots during PPS.

The exception for this is if you are looking for an industry fellowship. I know some programs do initial interviewing at PPS.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are looking for a PGY-1 residency, the PPS would not be a good use of your time and money. All the residency programs will be represented at the Residency Showcase, the purpose of which is to introduce the programs to the potential applicants. The purpose of the PPS, on the other hand, is to provide a venue for people interested in interviewing on-site with participating programs. For a fellowship seekers it is a must, for a job seeker it may or may not be productive, and for a residency seeker generally not worth the investment.

What I would suggest, is NOT registering now, and waiting until you get there. Get your hands onto the booklet, and if you are interested in specific programs (especially after the showcase) and you see that they are interviewing at PPS, then you can register onsite.

I would not and did not consider PPS when looking for a PGY1 program. I thought it was much more important when I was trying to evaluate potential PGY2 programs.

So, the big debate seems to be whether or not PPS is a waste of time for those seeking a PGY-1 residency. I know of people that registered for PPS and had a good experience, some that registered and felt it was a waste of time, and others who didn't register and wished/wondered if they should have.

Any thoughts?

dont do it...its a waste of cash

Thanks for all this before I wasted my hard earned loan money on this. I'll stick with the showcase!

Last edited:
As above, do not do pps for a 1st year residency. You will most likely need to do it for your second year. Are you a podiatrist going to midyear?