Practicing GP looking into CBSE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nts84

Reaction score
I’ve been a practicing DDS for 4 yrs now. Wanted to do OMS from the beginning of time. Had some serious hardships and didn’t have time for extracurricular activities during school. Then I had to go back home directly after graduating. Now that life has normalized, I’m looking into OMS residencies and the CBSE is the first step! Any advice or study tools you’ve used or are currently using would be helpful. Schedules? High yield resources? I need to knock this out of the park to make my application competitive.

Also: 4 vs 6 yr programs? I’m leaning toward 4 for the sake of time, but would like to do mission work with cleft surgeries etc in the future. Would a 4 yr program limit my experience with such cases? I’ve heard conflicting answers, but I also realize it may ultimately depend on the program I attend.

Members don't see this ad.

Im currently studying for the July cbse coming up in a few weeks, so I can give you some insight into resources that have really helped me so far. The 4 most universally used resources to prepare for this exam are First Aid, Pathoma, Sketchy Medical, and Uworld.

I would start with First Aid, which is essentially the holy grail of basic science material for medical students. It covers pretty much anything and everything that could show up on the exam, and is broken down by organ systems. Since you are a few years removed from the basic science materials you learned in d1 and d2, you should read through FA to relearn the content. Unless you went to a school like Harvard that takes their didactic years with the med students , chances are that you have not seen a lot of the material in the book, but that is ok because it is totally learnable.

In addition to FA, read/watch the Pathoma lectures. This is an absolute must for memorizing and understanding the pathophysiology of diseases, which is the most emphasized subject on the CBSE. If you can read through it a few times and really commit to memory the characteristics of each disease, you will do great on this portion of the exam.

For microbio (aka infectious diseases) and pharm, I would highly recommend Sketchy Medical. These guys have created hundreds of picmonic videos which have stories and symbols for each bacteria, virus, drug etc. By far the most efficient and kinda enjoyable way to learn the two most memorization heavy subjects.

When you feel you have a solid grasp of the exam content, start doing Uworld questions. Uworld is a question bank that has >3000 USMLE Step 1 type questions, each with detailed explanations and high yield take home points. Of all the three resources, I would say this is the most critical to your success on the exam, because it forces you to tie in concepts from multiple subjects and really test your knowledge of the material. Fair warning, the questions are very challenging and honestly they make the dental school exams seem like a joke. Don't get discouraged though, use the questions are a learning tool and slowly you will see your scores improve!

If you really take time to know the ins and outs of these 4 resources, you will absolutely crush the exam!
I’ve been a practicing DDS for 4 yrs now. Wanted to do OMS from the beginning of time. Had some serious hardships and didn’t have time for extracurricular activities during school. Then I had to go back home directly after graduating. Now that life has normalized, I’m looking into OMS residencies and the CBSE is the first step! Any advice or study tools you’ve used or are currently using would be helpful. Schedules? High yield resources? I need to knock this out of the park to make my application competitive.

Also: 4 vs 6 yr programs? I’m leaning toward 4 for the sake of time, but would like to do mission work with cleft surgeries etc in the future. Would a 4 yr program limit my experience with such cases? I’ve heard conflicting answers, but I also realize it may ultimately depend on the program I attend.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Not sure if this is off topic, but I'm giving the July COMP as well on the 28th.( International dentist tho, so options of making it into even an internship is tough. There's like 3 places that will even allow internationals to apply :/ ). Doing just FA and the newer NBME self assessments.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Im currently studying for the July cbse coming up in a few weeks, so I can give you some insight into resources that have really helped me so far. The 4 most universally used resources to prepare for this exam are First Aid, Pathoma, Sketchy Medical, and Uworld.

I would start with First Aid, which is essentially the holy grail of basic science material for medical students. It covers pretty much anything and everything that could show up on the exam, and is broken down by organ systems. Since you are a few years removed from the basic science materials you learned in d1 and d2, you should read through FA to relearn the content. Unless you went to a school like Harvard that takes their didactic years with the med students , chances are that you have not seen a lot of the material in the book, but that is ok because it is totally learnable.

In addition to FA, read/watch the Pathoma lectures. This is an absolute must for memorizing and understanding the pathophysiology of diseases, which is the most emphasized subject on the CBSE. If you can read through it a few times and really commit to memory the characteristics of each disease, you will do great on this portion of the exam.

For microbio (aka infectious diseases) and pharm, I would highly recommend Sketchy Medical. These guys have created hundreds of picmonic videos which have stories and symbols for each bacteria, virus, drug etc. By far the most efficient and kinda enjoyable way to learn the two most memorization heavy subjects.

When you feel you have a solid grasp of the exam content, start doing Uworld questions. Uworld is a question bank that has >3000 USMLE Step 1 type questions, each with detailed explanations and high yield take home points. Of all the three resources, I would say this is the most critical to your success on the exam, because it forces you to tie in concepts from multiple subjects and really test your knowledge of the material. Fair warning, the questions are very challenging and honestly they make the dental school exams seem like a joke. Don't get discouraged though, use the questions are a learning tool and slowly you will see your scores improve!

If you really take time to know the ins and outs of these 4 resources, you will absolutely crush the exam!
Thank you for the in depth response. That really helps me narrow my focus. Sometimes the hardest part is just getting started when you have this much info to digest. I have seen first aid and pathoma before. I’ll be sure to go back and dive deeper into those. I’ve heard a lot about the sketchy videos, too and I’m actually looking forward to seeing what they’re all about.

anyone here who did Medical Student Tutoring for CBSE exam would give me some ideas about them ? is it worth to do 1-1 tutoring with them specially its a lot of money to invest.

thank you