Pre-dental -NEED ADVICE.. BADLY!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rpsb16

Reaction score
Before I explain my story i hope nobody laughs at the mistakes i've made, I just want to know if i have a shot at my dream of dentistry. So first of all my first year consisted of me getting 5 C+'s , and 1 D+ (in calc2). My second year first semester consisted of me getting an A, A, C, and a B. After first semester of second year I gave up and dropped out because I believed I wasn't good enough. Then, after a lot of thinking, I came back and decided it give my goals one more shot. Now, im sitting here after my second year ,2nd semester with an A, B+, and an A. Oh, and to top it all off all the problems, i'VE NEVER taken a full course load (i was stupid, and my academic advisers told me i didn't need to take one each year). I just want to know if i'll ever have a shot at Canadian dental schools, because I seriously messed up my marks, and I didnt even take a full course load in my whole life. My whole life feels like regret, because If i could go back , i would change everything. Should i should just quit everything, or just keep trying to reach my goals. I feel like I can get A's for majority of my degree , but i dont know if that will be enough (my adviser told me im 1/5th done my degree up til now). Im willing to do whatever it takes, but only if things are realistic. Please help.

Members don't see this ad.

Before I explain my story i hope nobody laughs at the mistakes i've made, I just want to know if i have a shot at my dream of dentistry. So first of all my first year consisted of me getting 5 C+'s , and 1 D+ (in calc2). My second year first semester consisted of me getting an A, A, C, and a B. After first semester of second year I gave up and dropped out because I believed I wasn't good enough. Then, after a lot of thinking, I came back and decided it give my goals one more shot. Now, im sitting here after my second year ,2nd semester with an A, B+, and an A. Oh, and to top it all off all the problems, i'VE NEVER taken a full course load (i was stupid, and my academic advisers told me i didn't need to take one each year). I just want to know if i'll ever have a shot at Canadian dental schools, because I seriously messed up my marks, and I didnt even take a full course load in my whole life. My whole life feels like regret, because If i could go back , i would change everything. Should i should just quit everything, or just keep trying to reach my goals. I feel like I can get A's for majority of my degree , but i dont know if that will be enough (my adviser told me im 1/5th done my degree up til now). Im willing to do whatever it takes, but only if things are realistic. Please help.
We all make mistakes. Since you’re only 1/5th of the way done, there is still plenty of time to get back on track. Make it a point to take full courseloads from here on out, which would be around 16-18 hours per semester for American schools (not sure about Canada). The best thing you can do now is to show you’re serious and shoot for mostly A’s like you say. Now is the time to buckle down and focus.

Another point is that if this is your life’s goal, don’t ever, ever think you are inadequate. Put your whole self into this (while making time for friends, family, and hobbies to keep you sane) and build up some confidence in yourself and your capabilities. It may or may not work out in the end, but take solace in the fact that you have at least some control over that, and try your hardest to do something you are proud of.

Reactions: 1 users
We all make mistakes. Since you’re only 1/5th of the way done, there is still plenty of time to get back on track. Make it a point to take full courseloads from here on out, which would be around 16-18 hours per semester for American schools (not sure about Canada). The best thing you can do now is to show you’re serious and shoot for mostly A’s like you say. Now is the time to buckle down and focus.

Another point is that if this is your life’s goal, don’t ever, ever think you are inadequate. Put your whole self into this (while making time for friends, family, and hobbies to keep you sane) and build up some confidence in yourself and your capabilities. It may or may not work out in the end, but take solace in the fact that you have at least some control over that, and try your hardest to do something you are proud of.
--------
-Hi, thank you for the reply first of all. I just had a few questions:
1) as of right now I cant take any more classes in my second year second semester (i have 4) because of scheduling conflicts. Is it alright if i take 5 classes in my 3rd/4th year ? I know its obviously not preferred if i have anything less than a full course load, but do you think schools would overlook my first 2 years if i get high grades in my last two years (assuming i get good grades and take a full course load in the ending years). I just wanted a general idea if this is something that would work out in the end.

And i just wanted to say that I am serious , its just whenever i study i get distracted and think if what im doing will somehow reward me in the end, even though my past has been full of mistakes. When i dropped out i realized after shadowing my dentist (50 hours) and exploring the field of dentistry, that this is something i would love to do for the rest of my life, and I would do whatever it takes. I just wanted to get this conflict out of my head, which just feels like a parasite, and just wanted to know if theres hope if i work super hard in the following years. Sorry if i feel like im complaining about my life problems, i just need some advice so i can pick myself up and keep working towards my goal. Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
--------
-Hi, thank you for the reply first of all. I just had a few questions:
1) as of right now I cant take any more classes in my second year second semester (i have 4) because of scheduling conflicts. Is it alright if i take 5 classes in my 3rd/4th year ? I know its obviously not preferred if i have anything less than a full course load, but do you think schools would overlook my first 2 years if i get high grades in my last two years (assuming i get good grades and take a full course load in the ending years). I just wanted a general idea if this is something that would work out in the end.

And i just wanted to say that I am serious , its just whenever i study i get distracted and think if what im doing will somehow reward me in the end, even though my past has been full of mistakes. When i dropped out i realized after shadowing my dentist (50 hours) and exploring the field of dentistry, that this is something i would love to do for the rest of my life, and I would do whatever it takes. I just wanted to get this conflict out of my head, which just feels like a parasite, and just wanted to know if theres hope if i work super hard in the following years. Sorry if i feel like im complaining about my life problems, i just need some advice so i can pick myself up and keep working towards my goal. Thanks
I don’t think schools will overlook poor performance, but I think they will juxtapose it against more recent performance. My undergrad transcript showed that I was just skating by in classes, but my informal post-bacc demonstrated more focus and determination. They appreciate upward trends very much to show that you can adapt and rise to the challenge. As long as you take as many classes as you can and do well, I think you have a solid shot.

There is hope, but it will take hard work. You can do this!

Reactions: 1 user
Canadian here!

So far, it’s looking bleak my dude. For Ontario schools at least, Western requires all prereqs to be over a 75% average. They count your best two years OF FULL COURSE LOADS. If you don’t have a full course load it won’t count. U of t counts three years of full course loads. You need a 3.8+ GPA and 20+ cDAT to be competitive. Pull up your socks.

Canadian here!

So far, it’s looking bleak my dude. For Ontario schools at least, Western requires all prereqs to be over a 75% average. They count your best two years OF FULL COURSE LOADS. If you don’t have a full course load it won’t count. U of t counts three years of full course loads. You need a 3.8+ GPA and 20+ cDAT to be competitive. Pull up your socks.

Hey, I know i dont have a shot at Western for sure. But I'm thinking of doing a 5th year to take upper year classes , and possibly redo a few prerequisites (from first year) here and there. Assuming i do this, and I have a good gpa, and meet the 'full course load' requirements, do you think I would still have hope or im i being too optimistic? Because I will take full course loads in my upcoming years for sure, and i will do my best at them. Also, I also want to have better chances, so im going to be applying to outside Ontario schools , and American schools too. And if this plan doesnt work, I'll do my masters and apply again. Does this plan seem feasible for me ? (thanks for the reply btw, I totally appreciate all the advice I can get :) )

Hey, I know i dont have a shot at Western for sure. But I'm thinking of doing a 5th year to take upper year classes , and possibly redo a few prerequisites (from first year) here and there. Assuming i do this, and I have a good gpa, and meet the 'full course load' requirements, do you think I would still have hope or im i being too optimistic? Because I will take full course loads in my upcoming years for sure, and i will do my best at them. Also, I also want to have better chances, so im going to be applying to outside Ontario schools , and American schools too. And if this plan doesnt work, I'll do my masters and apply again. Does this plan seem feasible for me ? (thanks for the reply btw, I totally appreciate all the advice I can get :) )

Western has rules on a fifth year too. Just double check them but if you can score 90+ across the board is all your upper level full course load courses plus a 20 or higher in all sections of the Canadian DAT, I’m sure you’ll get an interview. It’s a tough road. With that said, if you’re above a 3.5 in the American scale and 20+ DAT, you shouldn’t have issue getting into an American school too (it’s not easy but a lil bit easier IMO). Good luck, and it’s never too early to chip away at a personal statement.