Pre-MD specific application chance. advice please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

John Thompson

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, just seeking some advice (yes, I have a pre-health advisor, I am just curious/interested to hear other perspectives). Anyways, I'm a senior at the University of Colorado and graduating in May. 3.55 GPA and 512 mcat (took it in August). Beyond that, I have some clinical experience as an ER scribe and worked as a research assistant in a lab the past year and paired with some volunteering off and on over the years.

Wondering what my chances are/where you guys would suggest applying/what else you would suggest doing to make myself a contender for allopathic?

Beyond that, I'm a 22 year old white male from Colorado. Major is physiology with a minor in Spanish and certificate in public health. Thanks for the advice!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I got in with similar stats, but I attribute most of that to my ECs. Sounds like you're taking a gap year- my advice is to make good use of it! Definitely continue the volunteering, amp up your involvement if possible.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

It would help to have a more detailed list of your ECs.

Members don't see this ad :)
I also got in with similar stats (slightly higher gpa, slightly lower MCAT, and similar ec's

Everything sounds good to me, your MCAT should help offset your GPA. Apply to your state school and anywhere else you want to. Keep getting volunteer hours. I always suggest volunteering at a local free clinic that will let you triage patients. If you can, keep the research up, but clinical experience is generally more important if your not applying MD/PhD.