Pre-Med Biggest Pet Peeves

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
ROFL!!! :laugh:

Also:

"What are you majoring in?"
"I'm pre-med."

wow....

Im with you when the school has no pre-med major.

Some schools do though.

Members don't see this ad.

So what are your biggest peeves related to the premed population.

Ill start.

1) Wearing scrubs to class....No one gives a **** that you wipe butt for a living, you arent that busy. I am sure you could take 5 minutes to change out of those damn, smelly Scrubs.

Premeds

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure if it has already been mentioned, but I hate premeds who join clubs for the sole purpose of resume padding (ie. take the fancy exec title but do no work!!!!!!!)

I hate when people say they are Majoring in Biology and they want to go to medical school when someone asks for just their major. I never hear any chemistry or physics majors say they want to go to a PhD program...

Yeah, I've noticed this too. Some people always seem so eager to let everyone know that they are gunning for med school.

Yeah, I've noticed this too. Some people always seem so eager to let everyone know that they are gunning for med school.

i have to admit that i am guilty of this when people ask me for my major. but that is because i am a psychology major, and i have gotten used to the question, "Oh? So what do you want do with that?" So instead i just preemptively provide this answer:laugh:

but, my pet peeve is premeds who can't hold their alcohol. or even worse, feign drunkeness to appear cool.

1. pre-meds who correct the teacher with statements that begin with the following:
  • "well..."
  • "what i learned in high school..."
  • "(incorrect spelling) is actually spelt (correct spelling)"
  • "actually..."
  • "my mom's best friend knows somebody who once did this and because of this she knows more than you..."

You can't forget the wonderful word called "Also". Trying to add on to a lecture.

I guess this isn't a pet peeve, but..

Seniors who say they have wanted to go to medical school since they were freshmen starting on all their pre-med requirements that weren't included in their bio major. ("I didn't know I had to take physics!")

Seniors who say they have wanted to go to medical school since they were freshmen starting on all their pre-med requirements that weren't included in their bio major. ("I didn't know I had to take physics!")

:laugh: :laugh:

I know what you mean. I know people who are like 5th year seniors who still hadn't even finished their prereqs.

Another big pet peeve. People who want to take the easy way out. They fail a class and they can't do well so they want to take it somewhere else esp. a community college just because it is easier.

Those type of people just say that because they don't know what they want to do with their life.

Pre-meds who are ill-informed about the things they make assumptions about.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pre-meds who are ill-informed about the things they make assumptions about.

and then pass it off as fact and act like they know more then another person who might actually have more knowledge in the matter then them. haha. I've encountered that one before.

Pre-meds altogether. In undergrad, I was not pre-med, though I was 80% of the way there as a BME. I thought most of pre-meds that I met were crazy, neurotic and for the most part, cutthroat. Didn't see any reason to think otherwise.. after all, I had a pre-med roommate who absconded with my Organic notes while I was taking a nap the day before the exam, went to the library and "forgot" to turn his phone on.

But now, as an actual pre-med, I still think there is no excuse for doing things like that to anyone. Sure, you can keep your lips tight, and not volunteer information, and I get that.. I do that sometimes, too, regarding things like my app process when people ask. But the truly cutthroat **** has got to go.

There are a couple things I absolutely can't stand during a lecture

The first is people who ask barely relevant questions for the sole purpose of showing how much they know. We all know when someone does that.

The second is when the teacher demands having an interactive class but the class doesn't want to cooperate. The teacher will ask a question and wait 5 minutes for someone to respond. Stop being so timid people! Answer the damn question.

The third and most annoying thing is when someone just isn't smart enough to be in the class, and they dont know it. They slow the class down so much by asking inane questions that even the teacher becomes annoyed. A great example of that was during a drug chemistry course I took last year. There was this extremely slow guy who always asked dumb questions and pissed everyone off to the point that people groaned audibly when he raised his hand.

For me the climax of that situation was when he asked the teacher "what is brain trauma?"

The teacher responded "If I were to pick up a hammer and hit you in the head, that would be brain trauma."

Everyone laughed.

There are a couple things I absolutely can't stand during a lecture

The first is people who ask barely relevant questions for the sole purpose of showing how much they know. We all know when someone does that.

The second is when the teacher demands having an interactive class but the class doesn't want to cooperate. The teacher will ask a question and wait 5 minutes for someone to respond. Stop being so timid people! Answer the damn question.

The third and most annoying thing is when someone just isn't smart enough to be in the class, and they dont know it. They slow the class down so much by asking inane questions that even the teacher becomes annoyed. A great example of that was during a drug chemistry course I took last year. There was this extremely slow guy who always asked dumb questions and pissed everyone off to the point that people groaned audibly when he raised his hand.

For me the climax of that situation was when he asked the teacher "what is brain trauma?"

The teacher responded "If I were to pick up a hammer and hit you in the head, that would be brain trauma."

Everyone laughed.

Last year A girl was trying to draw the difference of the molecule arrangement of fructose and glucose acting as if the teacher didn't know. :confused: I don't see how they are not endlessly embaressed by the way these idiots act.

And as for the idiot in your class, You shouldn't be so cold to people who are slow but asking what brain trauma is? That's pathetic.

I hate the people who just do the easy majors to get into med school. People who do Biology because they like it is fine, but people who do it just for med school its not ok.

Also people who only go into medicine for money and prestige...Wow that's pretty shallow.

Yeah but they do the same with the SAT and ACT as well. I always here people saying SATs and ACTs. lol.

I think its okay if you use MCATs or SATs as short for "MCAT scores" or "MCAT tests" (ie, "How many MCATs did you take?"). What I don't like is when people use it in the singular like "I just took the MCATS" or worse "I just took my MCATS." Maybe I'm the only one who notices these things :D

You know what's irritating about premeds? Bashing other premeds. The system forces people to be overly concerned with getting amazing grades and mcat scores. It's much more therapeutic to commiserate about the system than about the people who're just trying to do what they think they need to to get what they want from their life. Besides, doesn't talking **** about other people kind of make you feel....bad? Maybe even like one of "them?"

You know what's irritating about premeds? Bashing other premeds. The system forces people to be overly concerned with getting amazing grades and mcat scores. It's much more therapeutic to commiserate about the system than about the people who're just trying to do what they think they need to to get what they want from their life. Besides, doesn't talking **** about other people kind of make you feel....bad? Maybe even like one of "them?"

No offense but I think that the system is not solely responsible for some of the senseless things people do. A lot of people I know have truly been lacking common sense or didn't get where they want not because of the system but for a reason of fault of their own actions. At least that is what I have observed over the years. I think it is ok to have pet peeves with people as it is a part of life. we are allowed to share in those thoughts on SDN as that is what SDN is for, to be able to share our thoughts.

However, if your reference is with relation to the last few examples, maybe we should go back to making it more general rather then being blatantly obvious about over very, very specific examples.

No offense ...

I don't see anything in what you just said that I could possibly take offense to. We're just in disagreement, and you said yourself SDN was for sharing your thoughts.:)

I'm going to become VERY general here and say that throughout college, I noticed a premed culture, a not-so-small part of which included bashing other (probably hypothetical) premeds.

What I think happens is that people see maybe 1 or 2 really bad cases of these kids in school. The rest of the premeds just have these tendencies sometimes. Yes, some people are incompetent and do all sorts of things to appear less so, but don't you find yourself sometimes thinking that you really could make an argument for why your test should have been 3 points higher? It is the system, not that there's anything we can do about it. But, hey pot, don't let anyone catch you calling that kettle black...

I don't see anything in what you just said that I could possibly take offense to. We're just in disagreement, and you said yourself SDN was for sharing your thoughts.:)

I'm going to become VERY general here and say that throughout college, I noticed a premed culture, a not-so-small part of which included bashing other (probably hypothetical) premeds.

What I think happens is that people see maybe 1 or 2 really bad cases of these kids in school. The rest of the premeds just have these tendencies sometimes. Yes, some people are incompetent and do all sorts of things to appear less so, but don't you find yourself sometimes thinking that you really could make an argument for why your test should have been 3 points higher? It is the system, not that there's anything we can do about it. But, hey pot, don't let anyone catch you calling that kettle black...

Maybe it is where you go to school that there is only 1 or 2 really bad cases of this but not where I went to school. It was way toooooo many to keep track of where I went to school. A lot of the truly truly truly bad ones self selected out of the process and never made it. But not trying to argue with you. Let's get the thread back on topic.

Vet school is harder to get into...
False.

Class of 2011 data:

Vet School

Total Applications 5740
Total Accepted 2705
Acceptance Rate 47%
Avg GPA of those Accepted 3.57

Med School

Total Applications 42315
Total Accepted 17759
Acceptance Rate 42%
Avg GPA of those Accepted 3.65

And by the way, GamjaXnamjA, next time you see that chick, you might mention that there are 28 US vet schools, not 9.

Links:
http://www.aavmc.org/students_admissions/documents/Table30WEB.pdf
http://www.aavmc.org/students_admissions/VMCASStatistics2007.htm
http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/2007/2007mcatgpa.htm

ones who think they are going to get in by just graduating

The ULTIMATE premed pet peeve (and I am sure all of you share this one with me) is are the premeds that feel qualified to dispense medical advice, especially when they have ZERO knowledge or experience with that type of malady.

Perhaps an even BIGGER pet peeve of mine is interacting with the dumb****s that would actually ask a clueless premed for medical advice as opposed to a doctor or even the school nurse.

Ugh, anytime anybody asks me "hey dr. enjoydrywax, what is this thing I have here on my arm.. it itches and is really swollen?"

Oh I don't know, maybe it's a go **** yourself.

I also love (hate) how they will automatically add the word "doctor" in front of my name to butter me up before asking. I know so many premeds that secretly jerk off to being facetiously called "Dr. Lastname."

Last edited:
Yea I've gotten that a couple times as well.

On a similar note, does anyone know how the difficulties compare between getting into pharmacy school and medical school? My ex-girlfriend and I were playfully fighting about this the other day and i was just curious.

As an ex-pre-pharmacy student and current pre-med student, I've seen both sides, and I think being pre-med is harder. I took both the PCAT and the MCAT, and yes...the PCAT's hard and all, still has the same basic science concepts tested as the MCAT, which requires a lot of memorization...but the entire PCAT is discrete questions...MCAT passages are much harder to do well on. And not that it really matters, but I think pharmacy schools are in fact, easier to get into. I don't think that the people who get into the very top pharmacy schools would necessarily be accepted to Wash U, Harvard, Mayo, etc. med schools. There are just sooo many pre-med students who are qualified applicants that I think it makes it harder to get in. However, I do absolutely believe that both programs are difficult to get into.

Just my two cents.

personally, i am annoyed by the ones who at all times brag about how THEIR major is THE most difficult one. Anybody who is not a premed is obviously having it sooo much easier than them.

Yeah that is actually pretty damn annoying and you usually hear it from the engineer majors or chem majors

Pre-med clubs

The one on my campus has a club t-shirt. It is ciel blue with a stethoscope print around the neck. I can't help but laugh when I see groups of freshman wearing it.

Pre-med clubs

The one on my campus has a club t-shirt. It is ciel blue with a stethoscope print around the neck. I can't help but laugh when I see groups of freshman wearing it.

:laugh: :laugh:

I think the most annoying part of premed organizations is that hey are for the people who are lazy to find their own opportunities or too lazy to show creativity with leadership positions i.e. if you are musician or dancer or something there are ways to show leadership creatively by being the lead in a music or dance group. Things like that which are innovative are not done by many premeds cuz they think leadership is only defined by being head of such and such club or an officer in such and such club.

i have to admit that i am guilty of this when people ask me for my major. but that is because i am a psychology major, and i have gotten used to the question, "Oh? So what do you want do with that?" So instead i just preemptively provide this answer:laugh:

but, my pet peeve is premeds who can't hold their alcohol. or even worse, feign drunkeness to appear cool.

Honestly, you're totally excused with that one. :thumbup:

I dont really get the point of this thread. I mean aren't there gonna be people on this forum that do some of the things you guys listed?

For some reason it really annoys me when people have their specialty picked out long before they even get to med school. I'm not sure why, I'm sure some people have legitimate reasons for going into a specific field, but still...like they (or I) know anything about any given field in particular.

However, it annoys me even more, when I tell non-premed people I want to go to med school and they say, "Ooooh, really? What do you want to do with that?"

The ULTIMATE premed pet peeve (and I am sure all of you share this one with me) is are the premeds that feel qualified to dispense medical advice, especially when they have ZERO knowledge or experience with that type of malady.

Perhaps an even BIGGER pet peeve of mine is interacting with the dumb****s that would actually ask a clueless premed for medical advice as opposed to a doctor or even the school nurse.
Ugh, anytime anybody asks me "hey dr. enjoydrywax, what is this thing I have here on my arm.. it itches and is really swollen?"

Oh I don't know, maybe it's a go **** yourself.

I also love (hate) how they will automatically add the word "doctor" in front of my name to butter me up before asking. I know so many premeds that secretly jerk off to being facetiously called "Dr. Lastname."

The bolded one only becomes worse whe someoe says they got accepted to med school. I've heard sooooooo many times people say that they've been asked medical advice just cuz they were accepted to medical school even before they've even begun. It was in the parents are funny in this process thread and in the allo forums as well. My dad acted the same way when my cuz got in med school as well.

Pre-meds altogether. In undergrad, I was not pre-med, though I was 80% of the way there as a BME. I thought most of pre-meds that I met were crazy, neurotic and for the most part, cutthroat. Didn't see any reason to think otherwise.. after all, I had a pre-med roommate who absconded with my Organic notes while I was taking a nap the day before the exam, went to the library and "forgot" to turn his phone on.

But now, as an actual pre-med, I still think there is no excuse for doing things like that to anyone. Sure, you can keep your lips tight, and not volunteer information, and I get that.. I do that sometimes, too, regarding things like my app process when people ask. But the truly cutthroat **** has got to go.

Same thing here. I was (Am) just a normal ChemE 3/4ths of the way there. Took orgo as a requirement for my major, and the premeds always (still) annoyed the **** out of me.

Yeah that is actually pretty damn annoying and you usually hear it from the engineer majors or chem majors

Well if the shoe fits... :hardy:

I don't know, I'm not an engineering major but engineering is one of the most difficult things in terms of majors. I don't find it annoying but a truthful major. but the end product by and large is that a lot of engineers actually do much much better then the typical premed biology major students and people in easier majors. I do believe there is a difference in difficulty level of different majors but you are right in a sense in that ultimately it doesn't matter cuz if one does well and takes care of themselves they'll get in.

LMAO i think this is one of the best threads. To let you all know my personal statement was actually based on this idea. I made fun of the whole process and pre meds in general and how flawed it is. I alluded it to sperm trying to fertilize an egg and how they all have one goal in mind. and was abel to tie in my own lifes story through this idea. I took it to the extreme and really made it comical. I called them gpa hungry hyenas. Damn scavengers who claw fro every little advantage and believe they are gods mechanics destined to "help people" through their over zealous over achieving cough cough i mean altruistic ways.

It worked for me, and although controversial it was how i felt and represented an honest snapshot of who i am. Schools have even called up inquiring about me just cuz of my essay.

I just think its so damn screwed up and it really has made me hate pre meds in general. I dont even tell people i wanna do medicine unless someone tries to pry it from me and even if.

Lol Pre meds. its ironic how people who want to enter a compassionate heart felt profession are such ruthless asswipes who will turn in their dying 5 year old sister to put the title M.D behind their names. Lol the only reason I am doing this is because unfortunatley I athetically peaked at the age of 18 and no longer could elevate my basketball game, so it left me to think about using some of my brains to "help people". lol dont u just love that term?

My girlfriend wont let me pursue my other dream of becoming the next Ron jeremy either, so I will probably relegated to taking patients physicals and breast exams. O well.

and please excuse the grammar. I am not the best, but i just got too excited after stumbling onto this thread. I wish everyone the best on their endeavors!

It's not really exclusive to pre-meds, but I can't stand those students who bring their laptops to class and start drilling into their keyboards.
I mean, they must hear their own typing noise, it really drowns out the lecture.

the front row gunners who ask insanely stupid questions and always ask "is this on the test?". whenever this girl raises her hand in chem class and starts talking, people start sighing "oh my god shut the **** up already"

you're in college you bitch, what's the point of having class if the professor is going to tell you everything that's on the test?

theres this girl i know who, on facebook, lists "pre-med" as her major and has status updates like "Study, study, study!" and "Bio all day!"

people like this deserve a nice firm slap on the face ...seriously just shut up and get a brain transplant or something.

Pre-med guys who keep a stash of magnums in their rooms for the sole purpose of impressing the ladies ;). I actually use them :D.

Last edited:
I can't stand the kind of people that only talk about school and grades. My classes are full of 'em. Always comparing themselves to one another and whining about the material. It's all they talk about. You'd think they're entire lives revolved around their classes. But on the contrary, they're probably the ones who study the least.

I hate when people ask you what grade you got on an exam or whatever. Especially when you do really good. That always leaves a sour taste in my mouth. Because I hate having to be like, "uh I did good" or "uh I got an A...". Even if you just say I did good you know they're thinking, "huh I wonder how good, did he get a b, am I smarter than him, blah blah blah blah". I mean it's just a letter. And it only reflects how much time and effort you put into it. There's no magic there, people need to quit asking.

"sigh....I know its weird but I'm a psychology/pre-med major which means like, double the requirements."

Um, yeaaa thats really typical actually so shut the f*** up if you think your "major" is really difficult.

ps- I know two people who are deciding not to take physics before the MCAT so they can "prepare" with AP&P...wtf???

I can't stand the kind of people that only talk about school and grades. My classes are full of 'em. Always comparing themselves to one another and whining about the material. It's all they talk about. You'd think they're entire lives revolved around their classes. But on the contrary, they're probably the ones who study the least.
Definitely agree with this. I know a couple annoying pre-meds who talk about nothing else. Either class, or how XYZ class will help them in med school, or about med school. I know one guy who talks about med school and nothing else. About how he knows people who are in med school and how much material they go through, and how much time is spent studying, and how hard the classes are, and on and on.
I think about two things whenever he speaks to me: 1) We're not in med school. I don't understand why you'd feel the need to go on and on about it. I bet med students don't talk this much about med school. 2) I get it, med school is going to be hard. I'm not sure why this fact continually surprises you.

I hate when people ask you what grade you got on an exam or whatever. Especially when you do really good.
Agree with this too. Always caught between saying "I did really well" and being vague, or saying "I got an A/ a 98%/ a 145 out of 150" and sounding pretentious. I hate sounding like a braggart so I usually just stick with the "really well" response. I think that works fine, because I don't really care whether they know if I did better than them or not.