pre med course requirements

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedprepa

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey y'all -- I've been looking at different med school pre reqs (required and recommended) and am wondering if a semester of statistics is really necessary for the majority of med schools?? my schedule is already at over 20 hours including a stats class, so should I take it or would not taking it disqualify me from applying to most med schools solely based on pre reqs??

thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

hey y'all -- I've been looking at different med school pre reqs (required and recommended) and am wondering if a semester of statistics is really necessary for the majority of med schools?? my schedule is already at over 20 hours including a stats class, so should I take it or would not taking it disqualify me from applying to most med schools solely based on pre reqs??

thank you!
It definitely wouldn’t hurt to have it. At the same time not taking it wouldn’t automatically disqualify you unless specified by a particular school.

Reactions: 1 user
You should also know that pre-reqs have to be satisfied prior to *matriculation*, not application. That means that you could be accepted to a medical school that requires some course without taking it, with the expectation that should you choose to attend that school you take that course over the summer (or some other way) before matriculating.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It's probably not needed for most schools, but I'd still take it. Especially if it's an "Intro Stats" course because they're way easier.

As @Lucca states and I would also say a course in statistics, is one of the more useful classes you may get as you will spend the rest of your career seeing journals, data, samples, etc.

It is also on step 1 and 2 and shelf exams, so having a foundation is helpful

thank you!
Look at the schools you'd most want to target and decide to what extent you'd be limiting your options by not taking Statistics.

I share the general opinion that you should take the course regardless.

Reactions: 1 user
I'd imagine knowledge statistics is useful in the career of a physician regardless of whether one's medical school requires the course. Besides, the study of mathematics can give a student a "well-rounded" education in conjunction with other courses not directly related to his major.