Pre-Nursing to CRNA Help PLZ?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ai4Linh

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
  1. Am currently working on my Pre-Nursing at Community Collage (is Pre-Nursing degree called?)
  2. If I get into an bsn program by fall 2018 and goes full-time do you think I will make it to crna (MSN) before they change it to DNP requirement to get my CRNA license?
  3. Am currently having 2.8 GPA with 9C (2c in Science, and 1c in Math), 3D (1D in Math), and 3W (1W in Phys, and 1W in Science)
  4. Will I get accepted into BSN program in university?

Members don't see this ad.

Nursing programs are pretty competitive. You need to work on that GPA bc with a 2.8 I don't think you'd get in. But I guess that depends on your university's requirements. Look them up. Usually a minimum 3.0 is required. Go see an advisor. Most places are stuffed to the gills with applications and turn a lot of people away.

I think what you're saying is you're getting your associates in nursing? Some people can find work with an ASN and take classes for their BSN at the same time but that's kind of tough when you're on the job because there's a learning curve wherever you work. If you're trying to get into CRNA school you also need a good gpa and usually 2 years of icu experience which is hard to land right out of school. I think you should forget about CRNA for the time being and if it's really something you want start working on your gpa, getting into a bsn, do well and then look at CRNA. You might have to retake some of those basic science classes too.

Nursing programs are pretty competitive. You need to work on that GPA bc with a 2.8 I don't think you'd get in. But I guess that depends on your university's requirements. Look them up. Usually a minimum 3.0 is required. Go see an advisor. Most places are stuffed to the gills with applications and turn a lot of people away.

I think what you're saying is you're getting your associates in nursing? Some people can find work with an ASN and take classes for their BSN at the same time but that's kind of tough when you're on the job because there's a learning curve wherever you work. If you're trying to get into CRNA school you also need a good gpa and usually 2 years of icu experience which is hard to land right out of school. I think you should forget about CRNA for the time being and if it's really something you want start working on your gpa, getting into a bsn, do well and then look at CRNA. You might have to retake some of those basic science classes too.

The university around my area accept gpa of 2.5 and up and require student to maintain a gpa of 3.0 while in BSN program.

Do you think I can get accept to a CRNA program if I can keep my BSN gpa up around 3.5? Or how high do I need to keep it to be competitive with other candidates? And is there anyway I can work on acute experience while working on my BSN?

Members don't see this ad :)
  1. Am currently working on my Pre-Nursing at Community Collage (is Pre-Nursing degree called?)
  2. If I get into an bsn program by fall 2018 and goes full-time do you think I will make it to crna (MSN) before they change it to DNP requirement to get my CRNA license?
  3. Am currently having 2.8 GPA with 9C (2c in Science, and 1c in Math), 3D (1D in Math), and 3W (1W in Phys, and 1W in Science)
  4. Will I get accepted into BSN program in university?

2. What do you mean? CRNA is currently a master's degree.
4. Nobody can tell you if you'll get accepted or not, however, your 2.8GPA and 3Ws isn't looking too good.

The university around my area accept gpa of 2.5 and up and require student to maintain a gpa of 3.0 while in BSN program.

Do you think I can get accept to a CRNA program if I can keep my BSN gpa up around 3.5? Or how high do I need to keep it to be competitive with other candidates? And is there anyway I can work on acute experience while working on my BSN?

Their cut off GPA for applicants is 2.5 but that doesn't mean they'll accept you just because you made the cut off. Tons of people will be applying with greater than 3.5 GPAs.

Here is my school's stats for their class of 2018 https://www.midwestern.edu/programs_and_admission/az_nurse_anesthesia.html it states a 3.5 average GPA meaning applicants who were accepted into the program had an average 3.5 GPA throughout all of undergrad. You'll need an overall GPA of 3.5 if you wanna compete with this school's applicants, not just your BSN GPA.

You can not get acute experience that matters to CRNA school while working on your BSN. CRNA programs require 1-2 years of ICU/emergency or something similar as a prereq.

Ideally you want as high of a gpa as possible for any program. I think my home program accepts anything higher than a 3.0 but I doubt many people are getting accepted into their masters programs around that marker. Probably 3.5 or higher would be best.

And as stated above you can work in acute care while you're working on your BSN if you already have your associates. This is probably area/hospital dependent. My hospital doesn't higher too many new grads straight into the icu. Typically they want 1-2 years experience. But they do higher a lot of ASN's with the contract that you'll get your BSN while you work. I think that working in the ICU as a new grad and trying to take classes would be a somewhat steep learning curve and with your grade history you can't afford any slip ups. So I'd be careful rushing this 1-2 year time crunch to try and get into a program before they go doctorate.

Reactions: 1 user