preinterview update/interest letter format

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FrostyPod

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello

I was considering sending updates to schools that accept them about my recent volunteer activities that were not listed on my amcas and a promotion for one of my existing positions in a non-profit. Volunteer activities were a weak part of my app when I first submitted and I was wondering if you guys think it is too early. Also if you have some tips about format/content/length, that would be greatly appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

How many of these threads do we have so far?

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Adcoms have said not to do updates for new volunteer/job positions. I was also going to send in updates but decided against it.

I'm gonna go slightly against the narrative/opinion and tell you to take a chance if you have a deep connection to a particular school(s). It might be ridiculous coincidence but I received an interview 1 day after I sent mine in to a school I had connections to. Your mileage may vary because every school is different in how receptive they are to LOIs. Write a concise, well-written, genuine letter of interest include why you are truly passionate about the institution. Be unique yet rational and include specific programs/opportunities.

Format wise, no more than a page (personally I would be more frugal and say 3/4 of a page - the longer you go, the higher likelihood it will be glossed over). Blurb about your updates followed by a blurb about how this work fits with the mission. End with outlining school-specific opportunities that will allow you to continue commitment to this kind of work as a med student at that school.

This last part is very important. The most successful LOIs are nongeneric, you want to show that you have researched the school and done your homework.

Hello

I was considering sending updates to schools that accept them about my recent volunteer activities that were not listed on my amcas and a promotion for one of my existing positions in a non-profit. Volunteer activities were a weak part of my app when I first submitted and I was wondering if you guys think it is too early. Also if you have some tips about format/content/length, that would be greatly appreciated
Do not waste your time. You sent them an app, they know that you are interested.

Reactions: 2 users
Add my vote to the 'not necessary/don't bother' pile.

They know you want to go there: you applied, paid, and wrote a whole essay about it. Just be patient.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app