PRELIMINARY SCORES OCTOBER/NOVEMBER PCAT ~*OFFICIAL THREAD*~

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

arri

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello my fellow PCAT test takers!!!!! Let's create this thread for the October/November preliminary scores!!!

Please feel free to vent about the exam, and also include your score breakdown with percentile rankings and the testing material you used!! :)

Let's end it strong everyone!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Took it twice, the first test in August was much easier. The second test I took today had materials that wasn't even on the Dr. Collins guide. Some how I pulled a 93 in chem, The questions required no calculations at all which I thought was strange. I did all the problems in my head. I got 72 in chem on the first test and that had a lot of math. In quant I went from 61 on the first pcat to 16 don't know how the hell that even happened! I think Im done retaking it and will just hope for the best. My first pcat composite was decent I shouldn't even have retaken it cuz I did much worse this time around.

Took it twice, the first test in August was much easier. The second test I took today had materials that wasn't even on the Dr. Collins guide. Some how I pulled a 93 in chem, The questions required no calculations at all which I thought was strange. I did all the problems in my head. I got 72 in chem on the first test and that had a lot of math. In quant I went from 61 on the first pcat to 16 don't know how the hell that even happened! I think Im done retaking it and will just hope for the best. My first pcat composite was decent I shouldn't even have retaken it cuz I did much worse this time around.
Hey, I just had a few questions regarding the Pcat. Would you say the reading, biology and verbal were better and easier than the last time ? Also did you see some Dr Collins verbal question on the actual Pcat?
Thanks!

Just took the PCAT today for the first time. I feel like I did okay overall, but I scored low in Math... a little worried.

VA: 78
Bio: 51
RC: 91
QA: 33
Chem: 76
Composite: 72

I used the recent Kaplan PCAT book to study, as well as PCAT Professor and the Pearson Practice tests. On the Pearson Practice test yesterday I was doing a 75 in Bio, and 65 in Chem, and a 55 in Math. Unfortunately, the math section today was absolutely brutal. And Biology was heavily focused on A and P, which I haven't taken in years and just couldn't cover all of in just 6 weeks.

Does anyone know how this low math score will affect my chances? I would like to go to Pharmacy school next year if possible but I'm worried I won't get accepted.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, I just had a few questions regarding the Pcat. Would you say the reading, biology and verbal were better and easier than the last time ? Also did you see some Dr Collins verbal question on the actual Pcat?
Thanks!

The 1st pcat I took had a lot of materials that was on Dr. Collins, especially bio and verbal. I felt like the 2nd pcat had NOTHING from Dr. Collins and was way harder. Makes sense though why would they put the same questions on the test that you have seen previously. I guess they know if you have taken the pcat recently or not. Here's my scores

1st pcat 2nd pcat
VA: 78 58
Bio: 92 79
RC: 10 (Im an ESL student lol) 30
QA: 61 16 ( I was burned out)
Chem: 72 93
Composite: 68 64

I might retake one final time next year if I don't get into any schools this year. My gpa is decent and I have 3 years pharmacy assistant experience so hopefully that is good enough.

Do they ask super complicated calculation questions in the chem section? I'd know how to calculate something like Keq with a calculator but I'm awful at mental math when it's complicated

So, I just took my second PCAT today. My first PCAT composite score was 57 percentile. Here is what I got for the second one.

SS PR
VA: 416 74
Bio: 502 99
RC: 402 54
QA: 438 95
Chem: 485 99
Comp 449 99

Hell yea.. I already have two interview offers before I even took second PCAT and I got 99% :)

So, I just took my second PCAT today. My first PCAT composite score was 57 percentile. Here is what I got for the second one.

SS PR
Comp 449 99

Hell yea.. I already have two interview offers before I even took second PCAT and I got 99% :)

what did you do different the second time around?
Thanks in advance.

For the first PCAT, I only used Kaplan and got 57%. For the second one, I only used Collin's went over 3 times and got 99%
Hey congrats on the amazing score! Just wondering how similar the verbal and bio was? Also was reading similar to collins

Hey congrats on the amazing score! Just wondering how similar the verbal and bio was? Also was reading similar to collins
Verbal is pretty similar, I would say about 60%.. I only used Collins as verbal, which I didn't really focus too much since I knew I'm weak at VA and RC. Also, Biology is kind of 50-50.. there are lots of similar questions but there are also some added questions, too. For reading, I was just thrown away how difficult it was compared to Collins, if you are good reader you will do well but RC, as you can see, is my lowest score in PCAT. The passage seem to be not that difficult to read but questions are really tricky.

Verbal is pretty similar, I would say about 60%.. I only used Collins as verbal, which I didn't really focus too much since I knew I'm weak at VA and RC. Also, Biology is kind of 50-50.. there are lots of similar questions but there are also some added questions, too. For reading, I was just thrown away how difficult it was compared to Collins, if you are good reader you will do well but RC, as you can see, is my lowest score in PCAT. The passage seem to be not that difficult to read but questions are really tricky.
I really appreciate your reply, thank you so much

For the first PCAT, I only used Kaplan and got 57%. For the second one, I only used Collin's went over 3 times and got 99%

Thank you very much for your quick response...*I have gone thru the kaplan book extensively...but to a point=chemistry* I am kinda out of time on it and really need to crack down on my Dr. Collins practice exams. Exam is on Nov 5...next Tuesday. Am off work beginning today and therefore will go over Dr. Collins over and over.

Thank you once again for the insight.

Thank you very much for your quick response...*I have gone thru the kaplan book extensively...but to a point=chemistry* I am kinda out of time on it and really need to crack down on my Dr. Collins practice exams. Exam is on Nov 5...next Tuesday. Am off work beginning today and therefore will go over Dr. Collins over and over.

Thank you once again for the insight.

I think Collins really helped me preparing for exam, since many questions were shown up from Collins, but also it helped me in time management skill. I learned to do 48 problems in 20 min so that I always had like extra 10 min to go over at the end, although I rarely changed my answer. You should be able to get at least 80+ if you have time-management skill and went over collins couple times. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think Collins really helped me preparing for exam, since many questions were shown up from Collins, but also it helped me in time management skill. I learned to do 48 problems in 20 min so that I always had like extra 10 min to go over at the end, although I rarely changed my answer. You should be able to get at least 80+ if you have time-management skill and went over collins couple times. Good luck!

Thank you much

Hey guys, did anyone find the exam similar to Dr Collins. If not how different would you say it was

Why do you think you did worse the 2nd time around? I'm sorry to hear your bad new, I wish you the best!!! I'm just curious bc my test is also coming up on Monday and it is my 2nd retake. Dr. Collins has been my main study material. I know all of the problems in and out - not just memorized them...do you think this would help?

SS PR
Comp 449 99

What did you use to study? Congrats on the great score!!!

What did you use to study? Congrats on the great score!!!
I just used Collins and Pearson practice test sets, there are lots of similar, i would even same, problems from the Collins; I would say about 55~60% of the questions are similar or same to Collins. All I did was went over Collins like 3 times and I end up getting 99%

I took my PCAT today and it was nothing like Dr Collins. Math Section was too lengthy and there were only 6-7 straight forward question, most of them had graphs with lot of information. Reading Comp passage were 6-7 paragraphs longs. My plan is to take again In Jan 2014.
Now my questions what what all book should I refer other than Kaplan and Dr Collins ? It is possible for pearson not to report the score to pharmcas or designated schools ?

I took my PCAT today and it was nothing like Dr Collins. Math Section was too lengthy and there were only 6-7 straight forward question, most of them had graphs with lot of information. Reading Comp passage were 6-7 paragraphs longs. My plan is to take again In Jan 2014.
Now my questions what what all book should I refer other than Kaplan and Dr Collins ? It is possible for pearson not to report the score to pharmcas or designated schools ?

So all the section including biology, chemistry verbal were all different with different kind of question that weren't on Collins or similar question ? Also were there theory question on chemistry?

Weird, Isn't PCAT which I took PCAT yesterday same exact content for all November one? When I did my QA, I didn't really see a lot of graphing problem.. maybe just a couple. Of course, QA was much harder than Collin's in terms of experimental questions wise. I mean I would definitely know these had to experimental questions cuz it was too time consuming. I think I skipped like 8 problems like that and came back and guessed all of them, but still end up getting 95%. RC was not that hard to read but like I said, questions contain really tricky answers, so I did bad on it. Like I said, I got 57 percentile on first PCAT on July with Kaplan only, and switched to Collin's only for October PCAT and getting 99%

So all the section including biology, chemistry verbal were all different with different kind of question that weren't on Collins or similar question ? Also were there theory question on chemistry?

Chemistry and Biology had pretty straight forward questions and few of them were repeated from Dr. Collins. I found difficulty in math because I did all this before long long time and its very difficult to understand concepts in few weeks. I did Okay overall but did bad on reading and quantitative other than that it was easy. As long as your concept are clear and base is strong in Math, everyone does fine.

took the PCAT today

score breakdown:
Verbal: 74
Bio 92
Chem 98
RC 49 :(
QA 67
Composite 89

Pretty sad about my reading comp score because i scored 80% on the Pearson Practice. But I knew I screwed up when I decided to just go at the questions without fully reading the passage, for 2-3 passages. I didn't really finish reviewing precalculus and calculus so my QA score was expected. To be honest, I'm okay with my score.

But do you guys think my RC and QA score will really hurt my chances? A little scared. I have a high GPA and decent health care experience but wouldn't it look bad if your GPA is high and your PCAT isn't that great? It doesn't correlate...? My first choice school doesn't require a PCAT but 2 of schools I applied to do which is why I took it.

took the PCAT today

score breakdown:
Verbal: 74
Bio 92
Chem 98
RC 49 :(
QA 67
Composite 89

Pretty sad about my reading comp score because i scored 80% on the Pearson Practice. But I knew I screwed up when I decided to just go at the questions without fully reading the passage, for 2-3 passages. I didn't really finish reviewing precalculus and calculus so my QA score was expected. To be honest, I'm okay with my score.

But do you guys think my RC and QA score will really hurt my chances? A little scared. I have a high GPA and decent health care experience but wouldn't it look bad if your GPA is high and your PCAT isn't that great? It doesn't correlate...? My first choice school doesn't require a PCAT but 2 of schools I applied to do which is why I took it.
Hey what did you use to study verbal and chem

Weird, Isn't PCAT which I took PCAT yesterday same exact content for all November one? When I did my QA, I didn't really see a lot of graphing problem.. maybe just a couple. Of course, QA was much harder than Collin's in terms of experimental questions wise. I mean I would definitely know these had to experimental questions cuz it was too time consuming. I think I skipped like 8 problems like that and came back and guessed all of them, but still end up getting 95%. RC was not that hard to read but like I said, questions contain really tricky answers, so I did bad on it. Like I said, I got 57 percentile on first PCAT on July with Kaplan only, and switched to Collin's only for October PCAT and getting 99%

I'm confused also, which is why I asked what material you used, it seems as though a lot of people didn't think the material was related to Collins...or Collins didn't help them =/

Hey Guys! Took my PCAT yesterday. What do you makes of the scores?

Verbal Ability: 63
Biology: 79
Reading Comprehension: 47
Quantitative Ability: 85
Chemistry: 99
Composite: 95

A couple questions too:
1) Do any of the sections outweigh any other or is there more preference to one?
2) With a GPA of 3.8 - 3.85, how do my chances of getting into a Pharm school look?
THANKS!

I'm confused also, which is why I asked what material you used, it seems as though a lot of people didn't think the material was related to Collins...or Collins didn't help them =/
Okay... one thing that people should know is that all PCAT questions are not exact same problems shown in Collins. That's why I said overall about 55~60% of questions are similar and exact same from Collins. I have been using Collins exclusively for over a month to prepare for PCAT. If you have time-management skill and if u have went over Collins couple times so that you don't even have to read the questions and know the answer already. Then, I think, in my experience, you should be able to get at least over 80% at least.

A couple questions too:
1) Do any of the sections outweigh any other or is there more preference to one?
2) With a GPA of 3.8 - 3.85, how do my chances of getting into a Pharm school look?
THANKS!

Congratulations! You must have been scored really high in Chem section, since it's not easy to get over 90% composite with just one section over 90%. Anyway, I think you have very good chance in probably any school you apply to, with some Rx experience maybe. Like I said, I think chem outweighs other section when calculating composite score.

Hey what did you use to study verbal and chem

I used Pearson's practice test. I only bought one of them though. Given more time I would buy all 3. Verbal ability is about how big your vocabulary is, but if it isn't (like me) I would review the practice tests and look for trends in the analogies and sentence completion Q's. There are trends, and it becomes a bit easier when you become better at recognizing the relation between words, even if you don't know exactly what the word means.

I can't answer for chem. I was actually studying the MCAT a couple months prior to this so I didn't review it again. Just need to know general concepts and be able to eliminate bad choices. If anything, MCAT books do a good job of reviewing chemistry.

sorry if i'm not too helpful ><

A couple questions too:
THANKS!
With that high of a GPA & composite of 90+ percentile you will have NO problem getting in somewhere. I guarantee it. Even without any experience I think you have a really good shot.

Congrats!!

Got my scores,

Verbal Ability: 87
Biology: 57 :(
Reading Comprehension: 75
Quantitative Ability: 78
Chemistry: 95
Composite: 88

Reading and QA seemed like the hardest sections to me and involved more guessing than any of the others. I was surprised by the amount of function/logarithm questions.

I'm really disappointed with my Bio scores, really thought I'd do way better. I spent a lot of time focusing on mostly Anatomy but the test had a lot more Microbiology than I expected. Any thoughts/feedback? I know that Chemistry and Biology are the most important subjects that schools look into. Would a retake be necessary?

My Current Cumulative GPA is 3.9-3.95 and a 4.0 in the Sciences if that helps.

Got my scores,

Verbal Ability: 87
Biology: 57 :(
Reading Comprehension: 75
Quantitative Ability: 78
Chemistry: 95
Composite: 88

Reading and QA seemed like the hardest sections to me and involved more guessing than any of the others. I was surprised by the amount of function/logarithm questions.

I'm really disappointed with my Bio scores, really thought I'd do way better. I spent a lot of time focusing on mostly Anatomy but the test had a lot more Microbiology than I expected. Any thoughts/feedback? I know that Chemistry and Biology are the most important subjects that schools look into. Would a retake be necessary?

My Current Cumulative GPA is 3.9-3.95 and a 4.0 in the Sciences if that helps.

If your grades in Biology are decent, I don't think a retake is necessary. Your composite is still a very competitive score. You rocked chemistry!! Congrats on that 95! I think your scores are pretty well-rounded. So I def don't think you should retake. Most schools that require pcat need a 50 minimum.

How did you study for chemistry???

And as a side note...your GPA ROCKS!!! YOU DEFINITELY DON'T NEED TO RETAKE.

If your grades in Biology are decent, I don't think a retake is necessary. Your composite is still a very competitive score. You rocked chemistry!! Congrats on that 95! I think your scores are pretty well-rounded. So I def don't think you should retake. Most schools that require pcat need a 50 minimum.

How did you study for chemistry???

And as a side note...your GPA ROCKS!!! YOU DEFINITELY DON'T NEED TO RETAKE.

Thanks for the feedback!!!

So if I continue to maintain good grades in my Bio/Science classes, would it level out the PCAT score?

For chemistry I used Kaplan Book, McGraw Hill, and the Barron's Book.
Initially I would score pretty low because I ran out of time, but timing myself really helped build the stamina and develop shortcuts to recurring problems.
But understanding the answer explanations was what helped me improve the most after each run of practice questions.

Thanks for all the compliments by the way!

Thanks for the feedback!!!

So if I continue to maintain good grades in my Bio/Science classes, would it level out the PCAT score?

For chemistry I used Kaplan Book, McGraw Hill, and the Barron's Book.
Initially I would score pretty low because I ran out of time, but timing myself really helped build the stamina and develop shortcuts to recurring problems.
But understanding the answer explanations was what helped me improve the most after each run of practice questions.

Thanks for all the compliments by the way!
Yeah most definitely!!!! Don't even worry about it. I think overall the composite is the most important and I think you nailed it there. And if the composite lacks I think they would look at the breakdown. And your breakdown isn't bad, like I said, it's pretty well rounded. And I think chemistry is more important than bio anyways. But if you're worried, just give the specific schools a call and let them know your standings.

Yeah most definitely!!!! Don't even worry about it. I think overall the composite is the most important and I think you nailed it there. And if the composite lacks I think they would look at the breakdown. And your breakdown isn't bad, like I said, it's pretty well rounded. And I think chemistry is more important than bio anyways. But if you're worried, just give the specific schools a call and let them know your standings.

Sounds good! I feel a lot more relieved now.
By standings you mean class grades right?
Also, I probably should have mentioned that the school which I'm applying to actually has PCAT as optional, would that change the way they look at the scores ?

Sounds good! I feel a lot more relieved now.
By standings you mean class grades right?
Also, I probably should have mentioned that the school which I'm applying to actually has PCAT as optional, would that change the way they look at the scores ?
Yeah by standings I mean all of your scores/grades/experience everything. Admissions is usually really nice and tells you what you need. I'm not too sure so I don't want to give the wrong information. I'm also in the application cycle lol but if the school you're applying to says that the pcat isn't required, they won't look at your score. But like I said, even if they do, your composite is something a lot of ppl would love to have. So don't be too hard on yourself.

I see, thanks for all the advice! You've helped take a burden off my shoulders.I'll make sure to check with Admissions regarding the standings.

MY TEST IS TOMORROW!!!!!! :eek:

GOOD luck to all my fellow November test takers!!!!

My composite was a 95 (I took the exam on 10/29/13) this was the first time I took it

To study I used the Kaplan PCAT book and the Princeton Review PCAT book. I couldn't see spending the money on Dr Collin's even though everyone says it is awesome-and it is clearly not necessary to buy because I did fine without it. I also bought the 3 Pearson practice exams. For vocab, I downloaded the quizlet app and used the Barron's GRE 800 vocab words (I only read through them twice)- which I did see a lot of those words on the vocab section. That was it.

@jamiemp18: Hey, congratulations on the amazing composite score on the first time itself. I have the Princeton Review Book, can you please tell what was the majority of the material of Biology you saw in the test? There are a lot of pages and I can't seem to take in all the information. :/

@jamiemp18: Hey, congratulations on the amazing composite score on the first time itself. I have the Princeton Review Book, can you please tell what was the majority of the material of Biology you saw in the test? There are a lot of pages and I can't seem to take in all the information. :/

I read through the bio part twice. The first time I was just reading to get a feel for the material and then the second time I started memorizing things. For the anatomy section, I took each organ system and wrote a one page summary (big letters - I actually used colored pencils to make it more fun) of each system. I felt like most of the questions were main concept type stuff so don't focus on the tiny details.

Earlier I just posted my composite but I found my paper and have the rest of the scores...

VA: 74
Bio: 92
RC: 86
QA: 91
Chem: 98
Comp: 95

I read through the bio part twice. The first time I was just reading to get a feel for the material and then the second time I started memorizing things. For the anatomy section, I took each organ system and wrote a one page summary (big letters - I actually used colored pencils to make it more fun) of each system. I felt like most of the questions were main concept type stuff so don't focus on the tiny details.

Thank you for replying. Taking neat and colorful notes is one of my thing too, but I am just pressed for time right now. I take it this Thursday. Did you anything similar to the pearson practice tests?

Earlier I just posted my composite but I found my paper and have the rest of the scores...

VA: 74
Bio: 92
RC: 86
QA: 91
Chem: 98
Comp: 95

Good score man!
I have my exam today at 12pm...been studying to hit that 90%ile.
Here we go...

So I just took the PCAT, got a 57 composite my highest scores were in chem and reading and ny lowest was in verbal.I have a 3.5 gpa, pharmacy experience and I'm applying to Jefferson u and temple u . Should I retake?