This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

meyerchris7

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I will be starting my D1 year this July. A big problem I had in my undergraduate was not knowing what I should be doing with my spare time to help my application, and my undergrad advising was garbage (here is looking at you University of Colorado). I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions for things I should be doing on top of/ outside of school to help improve my chances of making an OMFS residency. There are of course the obvious things like keep my marks high, but is there anything else?

Thanks in advance.

-Chris

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
An OMFS resident told me it's all about rank and CBSE and then peppering in externships. Lastly volunteering or research. Hopefully an actual OMFS can chime in, but from what I've read on the forums, this seems to be the case as well.

Just worry about your rank for now. The first thing that can exclude you from being a competitive applicant is rank. Once you have the studying stamina on lockdown, start using your time to study for the CBSE. Start or help out on a research project with your OMS department. Schedule some externships in third year. Spend time in your oral surgery clinic. Get to know your home program.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 5 users
CBSE >75, class rank <10%, externships >3, letter from OMFS program director, published research (not required), leadership positions, awards - from most to least important

Here's a rough timeline to apply

D1
Focus on your basic science courses to prepare yourself for the CBSE (anatomy, physiology, microbiology, pathology, pharmacology). If you aren't taking classes with the medical students, your dental curriculum will be weak in the basic sciences.
First Aid for Step 1 (use as a reference to know what's tested on the CBSE)
D2
Get involved in OMFS: seek advice from upperclassmen, shadow your home OMFS program, attend meetings/case conferences
D3
Plan at least 3 externships and choose them wisely by doing your research (read the Programs Overview thread, look at the program's website, ask residents and faculty)
Kill the CBSE
Ask for letters of recommendation from your OMFS program director and faculty
D4
Submit your application on time
are you in a p/f school?

Just worry about your rank for now. The first thing that can exclude you from being a competitive applicant is rank. Once you have the studying stamina on lockdown, start using your time to study for the CBSE. Start or help out on a research project with your OMS department. Schedule some externships in third year. Spend time in your oral surgery clinic. Get to know your home program.
If your school gives little time to study for boards (we are on trimester without designated time) do you recommend hitting FA during D1 along with school stuff

are you in a p/f school?

No, see your patients from 9 to 4. I would then study from 5 to 12 everyday and weekends full time. It was not impossible but it was very stressful. Start to study early.

No, see your patients from 9 to 4. I would then study from 5 to 12 everyday and weekends full time. It was not impossible but it was very stressful. Start to study early.
You didn't have any responsibilities after seeing patients at 4? Also when should I get FA?

You didn't have any responsibilities after seeing patients at 4? Also when should I get FA?

What responsibilities? I had leadership meeting but it was 2-3 times a month. Remember, this exam is probably the most important exam of your life. Do your lab work during lunch time. I would do Uworld and pathoma once before reading FA. I felt it was a waste of time to study FA when you had no idea what it meant.

What responsibilities? I had leadership meeting but it was 2-3 times a month. Remember, this exam is probably the most important exam of your life. Do your lab work during lunch time. I would do Uworld and pathoma once before reading FA. I felt it was a waste of time to study FA when you had no idea what it meant.
Thanks for the advice

CBSE >75, class rank <10%, externships >3, letter from OMFS program director, published research (not required), leadership positions, awards - from most to least important

Here's a rough timeline to apply

D1
Focus on your basic science courses to prepare yourself for the CBSE (anatomy, physiology, microbiology, pathology, pharmacology). If you aren't taking classes with the medical students, your dental curriculum will be weak in the basic sciences.
First Aid for Step 1 (use as a reference to know what's tested on the CBSE)
D2
Get involved in OMFS: seek advice from upperclassmen, shadow your home OMFS program, attend meetings/case conferences
D3
Plan at least 3 externships and choose them wisely by doing your research (read the Programs Overview thread, look at the program's website, ask residents and faculty)
Kill the CBSE
Ask for letters of recommendation from your OMFS program director and faculty
D4
Submit your application on time
Thank you for this. Is there anything else one can do to make their application stronger?

Thank you for this. Is there anything else one can do to make their application stronger?
The man just gave you a laundry list of things to do...

It has also been stressed many times-- grades, class rank, CBSE, externships, personal connections, research, leadership, etc (no particular order).

Members don't see this ad :)
The man just gave you a laundry list of things to do...

It has also been stressed many times-- grades, class rank, CBSE, externships, personal connections, research, leadership, etc (no particular order).
Oh ok...what do i know? I am just a pre-den

Oh ok...what do i know? I am just a pre-den

There are no secrets my friend. Get into dental school, do your best and learn about everything dentistry has to offer. Once you're in school, there will be others who are paving the way (upper-classmen) who can help guide you. Good luck and no shame in being interested or wanting to be prepared as a pre-dent; many of us (including myself) were in those shoes.

There are no secrets my friend. Get into dental school, do your best and learn about everything dentistry has to offer. Once you're in school, there will be others who are paving the way (upper-classmen) who can help guide you. Good luck and no shame in being interested or wanting to be prepared as a pre-dent; many of us (including myself) were in those shoes.
Thank you. I have another question. Does someone with a undergrad GPA of 3.0-31. have a chance at OMFS? Does undergrad GPA even play a role in the application process?

Thank you. I have another question. Does someone with a undergrad GPA of 3.0-31. have a chance at OMFS? Does undergrad GPA even play a role in the application process?

Not really.

Last edited:
I'm about to finish undergrad and I have 1 year off. Would it be nuts to start on writing a review article for OMFS? Ik its really competitive to get in and with the CBSE etc and managing dental school, so I'm wondering if it would be prudent to get a head start on gettig some OMFS review article pubs to look good for down the road.....?

I'm about to finish undergrad and I have 1 year off. Would it be nuts to start on writing a review article for OMFS? Ik its really competitive to get in and with the CBSE etc and managing dental school, so I'm wondering if it would be prudent to get a head start on gettig some OMFS review article pubs to look good for down the road.....?

As an undergrad do you have the knowledge base to write a review article in a specialized field for experts to read? IMO your time is better spent doing something else. Perhaps read review articles written by surgeons or just enjoy your life (exercise, chill, etc.)

As an undergrad do you have the knowledge base to write a review article in a specialized field for experts to read? IMO your time is better spent doing something else. Perhaps read review articles written by surgeons or just enjoy your life (exercise, chill, etc.)

Play classic wow.

Reactions: 2 users
Haha would definitely have help, not sure why you had to respond like that lol thanks!!!

Haha would definitely have help, not sure why you had to respond like that lol thanks!!!

Literally nothing you do now is going to help with applying to OMFS residency which is like 4-5 yrs away for you...
First get in to dental school, then we can start talking. Perhaps I would work hard and get in to a dental school with a strong history of matching a good chunk of their class to OMFS, or one with a medical curriculum.

If anything, start dipping your foot into the CBSE studying. That score is the biggest factor. A kid in my class now has been studying for 2 years now roughly (started during his gap year before dental school). I just finished D1 and started studying for it in May and I’m still considered ahead of the game. Most people get the exam out of the way by D3 fall or spring, but I’m hoping to get it out of the way D2 spring so I can focus on externships and other things.

If anything, start dipping your foot into the CBSE studying. That score is the biggest factor. A kid in my class now has been studying for 2 years now roughly (started during his gap year before dental school). I just finished D1 and started studying for it in May and I’m still considered ahead of the game. Most people get the exam out of the way by D3 fall or spring, but I’m hoping to get it out of the way D2 spring so I can focus on externships and other things.

Studying for the CBSE 2 years before starting dental school?

I've heard this isn't helpful

Studying for the CBSE 2 years before starting dental school?

I've heard this isn't helpful
Look at it this way, if someone is about to go to dental school, they're about to take multiple intensive courses for hours and hours every week in anatomy, physiology, immunology, microbiology, pathology, etc., all of which is what's tested on the CBSE, and then study for those courses to pass their tests. That builds the foundation. Even if a pre-dent is already familiar with some or all of those subjects, they'd have to put in hundreds of hours before starting school just to reach the base level of strength in the subjects they'd need to start answering UWorld questions and actually understanding anything. Their classes are already going to do that for them and even if they had pre-studied that much, they'd still need to study more during those classes to get A's on all their class exams, because what's specifically tested and how is highly specific to the course, not just to the subject.

When people ask this question and everyone scoffs, it's because the asker has no idea how much stuff they don't even know that they don't know. The total amount of time and effort someone would have to put in to get even slightly ready for the CBSE before having taken dental school classes would be way more. Even if your pre-studying cut down how much you need to study for classes later, it wouldn't eliminate it. So it's kind of like asking, should I put (random numbers to illustrate a point) 1000 hours in to pre-studying, then 1000 hours into class studying, then 1000 hours into dedicated CBSE studying? This person would spend 3000 hours studying and I'm almost certain they'd only get to roughly the same place as someone who just did the 1000 hours of class studying then 1000 hours of dedicated, because the 1000 hours of self-guided pre-studying definitely wouldn't even get them to the same point as the 1000 hours of class studying would get them anyway, and they'd still have to spend 1000 hours class-studying.

Why devote significantly more time and resources for roughly the same result? Obviously this is mostly conjecture, but I think it would take a ridiculous amount of extra effort to get to where studying in school will get you anyway. Better to spend that time with friends and family and doing things that will be harder to do after starting dental school.

Reactions: 4 users
Look at it this way, if someone is about to go to dental school, they're about to take multiple intensive courses for hours and hours every week in anatomy, physiology, immunology, microbiology, pathology, etc., all of which is what's tested on the CBSE, and then study for those courses to pass their tests. That builds the foundation. Even if a pre-dent is already familiar with some or all of those subjects, they'd have to put in hundreds of hours before starting school just to reach the base level of strength in the subjects they'd need to start answering UWorld questions and actually understanding anything. Their classes are already going to do that for them and even if they had pre-studied that much, they'd still need to study more during those classes to get A's on all their class exams, because what's specifically tested and how is highly specific to the course, not just to the subject.

When people ask this question and everyone scoffs, it's because the asker has no idea how much stuff they don't even know that they don't know. The total amount of time and effort someone would have to put in to get even slightly ready for the CBSE before having taken dental school classes would be way more. Even if your pre-studying cut down how much you need to study for classes later, it wouldn't eliminate it. So it's kind of like asking, should I put (random numbers to illustrate a point) 1000 hours in to pre-studying, then 1000 hours into class studying, then 1000 hours into dedicated CBSE studying? This person would spend 3000 hours studying and I'm almost certain they'd only get to roughly the same place as someone who just did the 1000 hours of class studying then 1000 hours of dedicated, because the 1000 hours of self-guided pre-studying definitely wouldn't even get them to the same point as the 1000 hours of class studying would get them anyway, and they'd still have to spend 1000 hours class-studying.

Why devote significantly more time and resources for roughly the same result? Obviously this is mostly conjecture, but I think it would take a ridiculous amount of extra effort to get to where studying in school will get you anyway. Better to spend that time with friends and family and doing things that will be harder to do after starting dental school.

Eh I agree and disagree.

This D1 year, he wasn’t killing himself trying to study for some of our classes, whereas majority of the class was pulling all nighters or getting little sleep. He was in a spot where, yes he was still learning a lot of new material, but he also had somewhat of a foundation to where he only had to put 30 hours of studying in while I had to put in 50 hours (our school has weekly exams). He could dedicate the extra 20 hours to the CBSE.

YouTube is a powerful thing these days. If you go about studying the right way and make sure you actively learn, I think it takes some pressure off of you during dental school, even though it may not be considered “as efficient”.

I'm in an advanced microbio/immunology program and I have taken grad-level classes. Would it be totally out of the question to just peruse through those First Aid books?

I'm in an advanced microbio/immunology program and I have taken grad-level classes. Would it be totally out of the question to just peruse through those First Aid books?
Nah, I’m not trying to be a jerk or anything and say no freaking way should anyone ever do this, or that people are stupid for thinking they want to specialize, I’d be a huge hypocrite if I were. The real thing is that studying for the CBSE is more like honing a skill than just amassing knowledge. The multi-step association questions require you to put all kinds of stuff together to get them right and you have to practice answering them to get better at it. A dedicated study period is enough to get scores in the 70s, which is good enough to match, so there’s just no real reason to do it. I bought FA before coming to school and like, glanced through it to get an idea of what I was in for.

Gotcha, that makes sense.

Do you have any opinion on whether watching medical lectures (for example Dr. Najeebs lectures) before starting dental school?
This isn't really studying as much as it is learning medicine. These lectures are pretty much M1 and M2, so they teach you everything that should show up on Step 1. Would it be beneficial giving the lectures a pass through just to get familiar with medicine topics, so when you see it during studying for the CBSE it's won't be your first time seeing it.
I figure this would make more sense if you are going to a school without a med curriculum. Otherwise you would learn that stuff anyways in school lectures.

Gotcha, that makes sense.

Do you have any opinion on whether watching medical lectures (for example Dr. Najeebs lectures) before starting dental school?
This isn't really studying as much as it is learning medicine. These lectures are pretty much M1 and M2, so they teach you everything that should show up on Step 1. Would it be beneficial giving the lectures a pass through just to get familiar with medicine topics, so when you see it during studying for the CBSE it's won't be your first time seeing it.
I figure this would make more sense if you are going to a school without a med curriculum. Otherwise you would learn that stuff anyways in school lectures.

1. Dr. Najeeb too long...do BB instead
2. Starting early may not be that bad of an idea, just don't burn out before dental school starts.
3. As @ab117 alluded to, going hardcore during dedicated study time (free of dental school BS, etc.) is where you'll probably make most of your gains. Putting together bits and pieces here and there didn't really help me tie together the wide base of facts needed to effectively dissect multisystem clinical vignettes. But this is just my humble opinion.

TLDR: There is no perfect system. Either start BB early or just go chill and rest up before DS. Just make sure you don't burn out. Good luck

In conclusion, maybe look through some stuff on youtube, get an idea of what is on the test, but don't burn out before dental school, plan out your time wisely in D school so that you can study for class, crush the exam, do other stuff and still stay sane?

IMO you can start studying for the CBSE whenever you want. I can confidently say I would score the same on the CBSE if I hadn't even taken 1 dental school course yet. Other schools might prepare you better so it depends on the school and the individual (can you self-teach). Could you start studying now and crush it fall of D1? Absolutely. Should you? Nah... enjoy your final year off. If I was you, I would be getting myself ready for classic WoW to drop and play that hardcore until school started. My /played would be embarrassing come next fall.

Eh I agree and disagree.

This D1 year, he wasn’t killing himself trying to study for some of our classes, whereas majority of the class was pulling all nighters or getting little sleep. He was in a spot where, yes he was still learning a lot of new material, but he also had somewhat of a foundation to where he only had to put 30 hours of studying in while I had to put in 50 hours (our school has weekly exams). He could dedicate the extra 20 hours to the CBSE.

YouTube is a powerful thing these days. If you go about studying the right way and make sure you actively learn, I think it takes some pressure off of you during dental school, even though it may not be considered “as efficient”.
You’re absolutely right, I really don’t mean to say it would be useless or anything like that, I just also seriously question the practicality. If 4 months of studying peripheral to classes plus 2 months hardcore dedicated can get me in the 70s on NBMEs, then why would I study during my last free summer before leaving home for dental school? Maybe it would get me closer to an 80, but you don’t need an 80 to match so it’s impractical.

You’re absolutely right, I really don’t mean to say it would be useless or anything like that, I just also seriously question the practicality. If 4 months of studying peripheral to classes plus 2 months hardcore dedicated can get me in the 70s on NBMEs, then why would I study during my last free summer before leaving home for dental school? Maybe it would get me closer to an 80, but you don’t need an 80 to match so it’s impractical.

Absolutely agree. I would take the summer off before dental school, which is what I did.

To the OP, if you are dead set on surgery, I suggest you doing what My classmates and I did this last year: follow along in first aid with regards to whatever class you’re taking. For example, we had an exam on inflammation, so my OS friends and I followed first aid and finished the inflammation chapter alongside it to get it out of the way first glance. This current summer, I actually focused on the classes that I would be taking D2 year so the classes will be much easier for me (a 3rd year who scored an 84 suggested to do this as he said it made his second year much easier).

I just came up with a really random question, but has anyone ever taken the CBSE before starting dental school, or is it even possible?

I know this is completely crazy and impractical for a normal person, but I have to believe there is atleast 1 Albert Einstein out there that could make it happen. There's some kids out there who enroll in college at like age 10. I'm sure they could learn an entire medical curriculum in a few months.

I just came up with a really random question, but has anyone ever taken the CBSE before starting dental school, or is it even possible?

I know this is completely crazy and impractical for a normal person, but I have to believe there is atleast 1 Albert Einstein out there that could make it happen. There's some kids out there who enroll in college at like age 10. I'm sure they could learn an entire medical curriculum in a few months.
You select your school and class when you register for the exam.