PreReq suggestions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SannyB

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm a new member and this is my first post! I apologize if this has been asked and covered before, but I was unable to find the answers I'm looking for! Hoping that someone can help me out. I'm currently in the process of taking my pre-reqs for a DVM program. I am just about done taking all the courses I can at a community college level, and needing to transfer to a 4 year to finish the UD requirements. The closest university doesn't offer some of the classes, (i.e. zoology, endocrinology, reproduction, histology, toxicology, pharmacology, animal physiology). I realize that cell bio and molecular count for Life Sciences but, I'm using those courses to satisfy other areas. I'm trying to do a broad general requirement satisfaction to meet my choice schools. I have applied to take Animal Nutrition online at Purdue. I'm wondering if anyone has run into this lack of course choice problem and what was the solution? Are there options to take online courses at various universities, and does that look poorly on an application to have many different schools?

Sorry for the very long post. I just have so many questions that the counselor was no help with answering.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I'm a new member and this is my first post! I apologize if this has been asked and covered before, but I was unable to find the answers I'm looking for! Hoping that someone can help me out. I'm currently in the process of taking my pre-reqs for a DVM program. I am just about done taking all the courses I can at a community college level, and needing to transfer to a 4 year to finish the UD requirements. The closest university doesn't offer some of the classes, (i.e. zoology, endocrinology, reproduction, histology, toxicology, pharmacology, animal physiology). I realize that cell bio and molecular count for Life Sciences but, I'm using those courses to satisfy other areas. I'm trying to do a broad general requirement satisfaction to meet my choice schools. I have applied to take Animal Nutrition online at Purdue. I'm wondering if anyone has run into this lack of course choice problem and what was the solution? Are there options to take online courses at various universities, and does that look poorly on an application to have many different schools?

Sorry for the very long post. I just have so many questions that the counselor was no help with answering.

Where are you planning to apply? There are a few schools that require nutrition, but I am unaware of any school that requires the bolded courses. If you want to take them, that's fine (some of them are really fun!), but I don't think it's necessary for your application.

I'm confused about cell and molecular bio "counting" for life sciences. I think you mean that they count as life science courses for your degree? A prerequisite course can be taken as a core class for your degree, or as an elective - it won't matter. It's the same course no matter how your specific degree categorizes it.

Reactions: 1 user
Where are you planning to apply? There are a few schools that require nutrition, but I am unaware of any school that requires the bolded courses. If you want to take them, that's fine (some of them are really fun!), but I don't think it's necessary for your application.

I'm confused about cell and molecular bio "counting" for life sciences. I think you mean that they count as life science courses for your degree? A prerequisite course can be taken as a core class for your degree, or as an elective - it won't matter. It's the same course no matter how your specific degree categorizes it.

Hi,
Thank you for responding. Sorry, I guess I was all over the place with my thoughts. I live in Cali, and I was originally planning for Western or Davis and have been trying to satisfy those 2 schools, but decided to branch out and now looking at OSU, WSU, NCSU, and Texas A&M. Western has "preferred and highly recommended" courses to satisfy UD Bio and Life Science and I was trying to say that my school here doesn't offer any of those options. Not that I want to take all of them. I'm not that overzealous! I have my bachelors degree, but I'm just trying to satisfy prereqs for now. I just don't know how to satisfy them without having to take online courses at different universities. I'm hoping this makes more sense?? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,
Thank you for responding. Sorry, I guess I was all over the place with my thoughts. I live in Cali, and I was originally planning for Western or Davis and have been trying to satisfy those 2 schools, but decided to branch out and now looking at OSU, WSU, NCSU, and Texas A&M. Western has "preferred and highly recommended" courses to satisfy UD Bio and Life Science and I was trying to say that my school here doesn't offer any of those options. Not that I want to take all of them. I'm not that overzealous! I have my bachelors degree, but I'm just trying to satisfy prereqs for now. I just don't know how to satisfy them without having to take online courses at different universities. I'm hoping this makes more sense?? Thanks!

Which prereqs have you taken, and which ones are you trying to do online?

You'll probably run into difficulty if you still have lab classes to take, since there aren't many online options that will fulfill laboratory credits. Another thing is that you need to be sure the online courses you take will actually count for your application. You can e-mail each school and ask if specific courses meet their requirements. It's okay to take courses from multiple different schools, as long as your vet schools will accept those credits.

Reactions: 2 users
Which prereqs have you taken, and which ones are you trying to do online?

You'll probably run into difficulty if you still have lab classes to take, since there aren't many online options that will fulfill laboratory credits. Another thing is that you need to be sure the online courses you take will actually count for your application. You can e-mail each school and ask if specific courses meet their requirements. It's okay to take courses from multiple different schools, as long as your vet schools will accept those credits.

I have taken all my science with labs already. I will just need to find those courses listed in order to make up at least 9 semester units. So, I'm just trying to find out where to take them. They are just lecture classes, no lab.

I have taken all my science with labs already. I will just need to find those courses listed in order to make up at least 9 semester units. So, I'm just trying to find out where to take them. They are just lecture classes, no lab.

What other upper division biology courses does the nearest four year offer? I applied to Western last year and only took two on the list you supplied and had several not on the list and was fine. You don't necessarily have to take these courses. Any upper division life science class should be able to fill the 9 credits you're looking for.

What other upper division biology courses does the nearest four year offer? I applied to Western last year and only took two on the list you supplied and had several not on the list and was fine. You don't necessarily have to take these courses. Any upper division life science class should be able to fill the 9 credits you're looking for.

O.k. Thank you! I was wondering if having the "preferred" classes would give me any better chance over taking a comparable UD biology course. My 4 year does offer some, just not those listed. So, I was worried about finding those exact courses. Thank you so much!

O.k. Thank you! I was wondering if having the "preferred" classes would give me any better chance over taking a comparable UD biology course. My 4 year does offer some, just not those listed. So, I was worried about finding those exact courses. Thank you so much!
Usually if a school is "recommending" specific courses, it's because they are generally very rigorous and can help prepare you for the academic rigor that is vet school. Doing well in the "recommended" courses also shows the school that you can handle the upper level, typically very difficult undergrad courses that resemble the material seen in vet school...but like bats said, any upper level science could do that as well.