Prerequisites for Psychiatrist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iamsolemn

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello iamsolemn,

I am a freshman in high school and see a huge opportunity in this career path. Not many people are employed here compared to all the other medical fields and pay very well. I was wondering, does this job deal with consoling and social science/humanities or is this all entirely non-humanities for a lack of a better word? i am planning to take psych in junior along with sociology. I will take human geography and US gov in sophomore year. Will any of these courses benefit my understanding of psychiatry and what is the difference between psychology and psychiatry? Which of the two is the more rewarding (i.e. job satisfaction, freedom, pay, opportunity/job demand, etc.)? Finally, which courses do you guys recommend that I take that will enhance my knowledge of the psychs and fill in the prerequisites for med school. I really want to do this, I am not doing this for the prestige or money, I want to do this for the sake of other people and am willing to invest my time. Also, will humanitarian work/volunteering improve my chances of going into school and expanding my knowledge in psychiatry/psychology?

Sorry for the long post but thank you so much!

-Solemn-

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Solemn

I was wondering, does this job deal with consoling and social science/humanities or is this all entirely non-humanities for a lack of a better word?
- psychiatry deals with the diagnosis and treatment of mental illness like major depression, schizophrenia, and bipolar disorder among many others. Psychiatrists also distinguish between organic and psychiatric causes of behavior changes too. Counseling is part of it, but a solid understanding of biology and medicine is also needed.

i am planning to take psych in junior along with sociology. I will take human geography and US gov in sophomore year. Will any of these courses benefit my understanding of psychiatry
- no. Just do your best in high school so that you can get into the best undergrad campus you can.

what is the difference between psychology and psychiatry? Which of the two is the more rewarding (i.e. job satisfaction, freedom, pay, opportunity/job demand, etc.)?
- psychiatrists have different training/education then psychologists but their fields do overlap. Psychiatrists get an MD after finishing their undergraduate degree and pursue a 4 year residency in psychiatry. Psychologists go the masters or Ph.D route. Psychiatrists on average make more money, but both professions have good work life balance and provide relief to their patients.

Finally, which courses do you guys recommend that I take that will enhance my knowledge of the psychs and fill in the prerequisites and for med school.
- You can find a discussion of early prerequisites and volunteering for psychiatry here or in the pre medical threads

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Over/under on this just being a troll?

Pretty sure you are looking to set odds on a moneyline for this being a troll, such as +200 or -300. Over/under is only used variables that are not binary, such as number of total sacks in a game o/u 6.5 or total score of Golden State vs. Spurs as O/U 210. Sorry for the correction, but betting terminology is serious business :luck:.

Reactions: 1 user