Professionally Recommended for Navy HPSP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GatsbyTheGreat44884488

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

In the beginning of March my Navy recruiter called me to say that my application was looked upon favorably at the previous selection board, and that I was "professionally recommended" for the HPSP scholarship. I asked him what this meant exactly, and he replied that it meant that the scholarship was mine if I wanted it. yay. I have a few acceptances, and I am ready to sign on the dotted line to receive the scholarship. As I understand it, my application gets sent somewhere (DOD?) for final approval, and then I will have my contract to sign. I have continued to check in with my recruiter to make sure that HPSP is indeed a real option for me, but I have become increasingly anxious about my situation, since I have not received anything concrete in the mail or otherwise. When should one expect to receive an official contract after getting "professionally recommended?"

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Where is the wise @Gastrapathy when you need him, or @ sb247?
Hi all,

In the beginning of March my Navy recruiter called me to say that my application was looked upon favorably at the previous selection board, and that I was "professionally recommended" for the HPSP scholarship. I asked him what this meant exactly, and he replied that it meant that the scholarship was mine if I wanted it. yay. I have a few acceptances, and I am ready to sign on the dotted line to receive the scholarship. As I understand it, my application gets sent somewhere (DOD?) for final approval, and then I will have my contract to sign. I have continued to check in with my recruiter to make sure that HPSP is indeed a real option for me, but I have become increasingly anxious about my situation, since I have not received anything concrete in the mail or otherwise. When should one expect to receive an official contract after getting "professionally recommended?"

Thank you!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
In the job market, many hires have to have corporate's seal of approval in order to be officially hired even after the local hiring body has agreed to hire you. It's just a process. Nonetheless, it seems as if hiring agencies at corporate almost always go along with what the local hiring body wants. I have no idea how the HPSP selection process works. But if it works in the same way as many hiring processes work, then I'd say you have nothing to worry about.

In the job market, many hires have to have corporate's seal of approval in order to be officially hired even after the local hiring body has agreed to hire you. It's just a process. Nonetheless, it seems as if hiring agencies at corporate almost always go along with what the local hiring body wants. I have no idea how the HPSP selection process works. But if it works in the same way as many hiring processes work, then I'd say you have nothing to worry about.

The military is a different world.

OP, I am applying from already inside the military, so I don't really know too much about HPSP, but I can tell you that going a long time without hearing anything is totally normal and something you need to get used to if you want to serve.

Reactions: 2 users
Don't sign anything....any. Thing. At. All. Until you spend some time in the military med subforum here

Reactions: 8 users
Welcome to "hurry up and wait."

Reactions: 2 users
The military is a different world.

OP, I am applying from already inside the military, so I don't really know too much about HPSP, but I can tell you that going a long time without hearing anything is totally normal and something you need to get used to if you want to serve.
This is kinda why I wanted to serve in the Reserved for awhile. I even got up to the signing part (took the ASVAB and all) just 2 days before signature.

Reactions: 1 user
OP,

Let me share what's happening with the Navy HPSP on the Dental side of the house - it may help you.

Recently, several dental HPSP applicants were professionally recommended for the Navy scholarship. Historically, this meant that, pending Congressional scroll approval (which is just a formality), they would be awarded the scholarship.

However, this year, something new is happening. There were way more "professionally recommended" applicants than scholarships available, so there are several "professionally recommended" candidates who have found themselves in a waitlist basically. These people were all initially told that they got the scholarship, and then later were told that there weren't enough scholarships.

I would contact the recruiter and ask if your packet has been sent up for the scroll. Hopefully the recruiter will say yes.

Here you go, you've posted here as well.
All Branch Topic (ABT) - Will certain MOS help me as a doctor?
It'll be counter productive to my goal: which is to get into Med school.
Just an fyi: it wasn't counter productive to my goal of getting into medical school. if anything it helped me immensely. doctors took me under their wing, I had incredible clinical opportunities at my disposal. I joined as a hospital corpsman in the us navy though so my rate was actually applicable to what I ultimately wanted to do. So it all worked out & they had no problem letting me go after being accepted to medical school.

that I was "professionally recommended" for the HPSP scholarship.

[...]

When should one expect to receive an official contract after getting "professionally recommended?"

The HPSP professional recommendation means that the board reviewed all of your materials and determined that you would be a good enough fit for military medicine of that particular branch. This is akin to receiving a recommendation for a commission in the regular "line" assuming you are interested in Navy.

From here, the HPSP is waiting for more materials from you to award an actual scholarship: an "acceptance letter" and an Academic Year Statement (AYS). Once you submit these to your recruiter, a file will be prepared for you (if it hasn't already) in the electronic system that recruiters and Millington, TN, use to sign documents back and forth. In that, there will be a large number of documents prepared, including a "Final Selection Letter" that congratulates you on getting the scholarship. You will have more documents to sign to set up things like pay and benefits, more acceptance stuff, etc. that you'll need to meet with your recruiter about before going to school.

You aren't obligated to anything until you actually start school, even if you "signed" things. Once you start collecting benefits (tuition, stipend, etc.) then you will either incur a commitment or a debt to the government.[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Just an fyi: it wasn't counter productive to my goal of getting into medical school. if anything it helped me immensely. doctors took me under their wing, I had incredible clinical opportunities at my disposal. I joined as a hospital corpsman in the us navy though so my rate was actually applicable to what I ultimately wanted to do. So it all worked out & they had no problem letting me go after being accepted to medical school.

My command had no command letting me apply to USUHS either (through EMDP2), and my ECM didn't give two ****s about releasing me lol.

OP,

Let me share what's happening with the Navy HPSP on the Dental side of the house - it may help you.

Thanks for the response. I've heard about what you are describing, and it is exactly why I've been trying to get some more info on what it does/doesn't mean for med students. I have since talked to my recruiter, who continues to assuage any concerns. We'll see I guess.
I'll give an update when it's relevant.

the part on the recruiting brochure about "practice medicine without the worries of civilian world" is not true. It is called Utilization Management, which is very humbling for physicians who want to do right by their patients.

In the military nothing is concrete until you have "hard orders" in hand.

Please spend time on these forums and also with some active duty physicians.

Study hard!

Thanks for the response. I've heard about what you are describing, and it is exactly why I've been trying to get some more info on what it does/doesn't mean for med students. I have since talked to my recruiter, who continues to assuage any concerns. We'll see I guess.
I'll give an update when it's relevant.

If anyone is still interested in this topic, I thought I would share an update. A few days ago I commissioned as an officer under HPSP and finalized all the necessary forms, which I am very excited about. Hopefully this means that med HPSP hopefuls aren't also being "waitlisted" as you described for dentistry, but I guess that is still a possibility. Thanks for the responses.

If anyone is still interested in this topic, I thought I would share an update. A few days ago I commissioned as an officer under HPSP and finalized all the necessary forms, which I am very excited about. Hopefully this means that med HPSP hopefuls aren't also being "waitlisted" as you described for dentistry, but I guess that is still a possibility. Thanks for the responses.
Congratulations, thank you for deciding to serve your country! My one tip to you, though you're quite a while away from entering the fleet, treat your enlisted folk with respect. Good luck!

about me, I am going to be a first year medical school this coming fall. I recently met a military recruiter at a family gathering. I believe he is my distance cousin's boyfriend and he is currently serving in the U.S Navy. We talked and I thanked him for his service then i proceed to asking about what he does in the navy . So we talked and he told me he is a dentist and he is getting out next year to practice on his own. He also said he doesn't have any loans because the navy pay for his dental school as well as his cost of living while he was in dental school. He said I could get the same thing from the navy if I accept a military scholarship in return for a 4 year service . By this time, I am super interested and ready to join the military because the though of not having to pay for medical school is really appealing to me. But I forgot to ask him a few more questions so I hope to get my questions answer here.

Here are my questions
1) can I bring my girlfriend with me when I am deployed or bring my wife if I'm married?
2) will the military allow me to choose my specialty ?
3) what is expected of me if I accept the scholarship?
4) what is my day to day work like as a military doctor?
5) do I get to pick where I want to station ?
6) how much am I expected to get paid in total per year so I can budget Accordingly?
7) how many patients will I see everyday?
8)I want to spend quality time with my patients , will the military restrict me from spend more time my patients?
9) finally, will nurses have authority over me because my cousins boyfriend says he has to answer to nurses sometimes because they outrank him?

Thank you!