This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

meh293

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am interested in applying to counseling Phd programs and/or PsyD programs in a couple of years and I am trying to figure out ways to strengthen my application now. My main issue is that I have a HORRIBLE undergrad gpa, 2.77 ( First year I goofed off and then junior year my S.O. was deployed and I ended up with a flown blown panic disorder diagnosis; sophmore and senior year I had pretty decent grades though). My GRE scores aren't bad, V in the 85th percentile and Q in the 60th. I've had three years working as a mental health case manager, plus did some interning during college doing screenings and leading children's groups. I am currently applying and interviewing for some part time research positions, and I am planning to retake the two psych courses that I did poorly in this coming fall.

Does anyone have recommendations for programs that have lower gpa cutoffs, but are still reputable? I'm not worried about going to a *top* school, but I would like to have a good school experience and have opportunities to attain strong clinical and research experience. Tuition remission would be preferred, but I don't NEED one that offers paid GA/RA position (though it would be nice), and I am free to move pretty much anywhere in the continental US.

Also has anyone had the experience of attending a program that was in the process of being accredited? I've found two school that are working towards accreditation, and for this reason admission requirements are lower and they have fewer applicants. Has this worked out for anyone, or is it a terrible idea?

I'm planning to apply to some masters programs as well since I know doctorate programs are super competitive, but I wanted to reach out and see if anyone had extra advice. Thank so much !

Members don't see this ad.

Read the stickied guides and complete a master's program in experimental or clinical psychology that require an empirical research-based thesis. Get a 4.0 and solid research experience, including publications and posters, and you will have a better shot at getting into a good program. Looking for a program that will accept you with your current stats is asking for trouble and a mound of debt.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi all,

I am interested in applying to counseling Phd programs and/or PsyD programs in a couple of years and I am trying to figure out ways to strengthen my application now. My main issue is that I have a HORRIBLE undergrad gpa, 2.77 ( First year I goofed off and then junior year my S.O. was deployed and I ended up with a flown blown panic disorder diagnosis; sophmore and senior year I had pretty decent grades though). My GRE scores aren't bad, V in the 85th percentile and Q in the 60th. I've had three years working as a mental health case manager, plus did some interning during college doing screenings and leading children's groups. I am currently applying and interviewing for some part time research positions, and I am planning to retake the two psych courses that I did poorly in this coming fall.

Does anyone have recommendations for programs that have lower gpa cutoffs, but are still reputable? I'm not worried about going to a *top* school, but I would like to have a good school experience and have opportunities to attain strong clinical and research experience. Tuition remission would be preferred, but I don't NEED one that offers paid GA/RA position (though it would be nice), and I am free to move pretty much anywhere in the continental US.

Also has anyone had the experience of attending a program that was in the process of being accredited? I've found two school that are working towards accreditation, and for this reason admission requirements are lower and they have fewer applicants. Has this worked out for anyone, or is it a terrible idea?

I'm planning to apply to some masters programs as well since I know doctorate programs are super competitive, but I wanted to reach out and see if anyone had extra advice. Thank so much !
Get a masters! Rock your courses, then apply PhD.

Reactions: 1 user
OK that's kind of what I was figuring after researching programs. Does anyone know how competitive masters programs are? Will I stand a good chance of getting in if I only apply to the four programs in my state, or do I need to expand my region?

Reactions: 1 user