This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NDS1977525

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am a fourth year osteopathic student interested in pursuing orthopaedic surgery. I am competitive as an applicant in all fields and have had MD peers tell me that if I was an MD I would have an easy time getting a residency spot. I'm not here to debate anything prior to this sentence or post stats.

I would like to inquire to all of you about allopathic orthopaedic surgery programs that you know osteopathic students have matched into without some trophy system situations (attending is their parent, uncle, family friend, etc.) I ask this because according to the most recent NMRP, ~2/3 of allopathic orthopaedic surgery directors responded that they "never" interview or rank DO students. I would assume that is regardless of stats. I would like to maximize my chances by strategically applying to programs who are open to DO students.

Furthermore, if I cold called programs and asked them if they would consider DO students, do you feel that's appropriate and I would get honest responses?

Thank you all in advance. I hope to receive some helpful information.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Whoever told you you'd have an easy time getting into ortho lied to you. I know absolute superstar MD friends going for ortho and they don't feel like they're a shoe in nor that it's easy. Good luck with the MD applications, money in ERAS' pocket.

Reactions: 1 users
Whoever told you you'd have an easy time getting into ortho lied to you. I know absolute superstar MD friends going for ortho and they don't feel like they're a shoe in nor that it's easy. Good luck with the MD applications, money in ERAS' pocket.

Thank you for your response. It was neither constructive nor needed. I am not here to debate any of what you commented on. I am aware it is extremely competitive and difficult to get into ortho. I was not the one who said it would be easy for me, it was MD peers of mine who seemed to think so. I was asking if anyone had any anecdotal data about programs that have accepted DO applicants in the past that I would able to follow up on. I have found programs of that nature and confirmed that DOs are either current residents or alumni of those programs. I was hoping the community here would help me find more instances of that.

Why not go to a DO program? Easier to match, more than likely more operate experience and time. I graduated with 3k cases. My MD colleagues in fellowship had less then a third of what I had. If you become a community orthopod (90%) of people, doesn't matter where you trained.

What does the field of oncology look like for DOs? I'm interested in pursuing it and I haven't seen many DOs in the field.

What does the field of oncology look like for DOs? I'm interested in pursuing it and I haven't seen many DOs in the field.

I know a DO who matched oncology... but thats all I know

I know a DO who matched oncology... but thats all I know
Was it rad onc? Because I know for Medical Oncology you typically do Internal Med then a fellowship! At least thats what all of the oncologists I've worked with have done.

Was it rad onc? Because I know for Medical Oncology you typically do Internal Med then a fellowship! At least thats what all of the oncologists I've worked with have done.

It was ortho onc.. this is an ortho sub-forum

Reactions: 4 users
Hello everyone. I am a fourth year osteopathic student interested in pursuing orthopaedic surgery. I am competitive as an applicant in all fields and have had MD peers tell me that if I was an MD I would have an easy time getting a residency spot. I'm not here to debate anything prior to this sentence or post stats.

I would like to inquire to all of you about allopathic orthopaedic surgery programs that you know osteopathic students have matched into without some trophy system situations (attending is their parent, uncle, family friend, etc.) I ask this because according to the most recent NMRP, ~2/3 of allopathic orthopaedic surgery directors responded that they "never" interview or rank DO students. I would assume that is regardless of stats. I would like to maximize my chances by strategically applying to programs who are open to DO students.

Furthermore, if I cold called programs and asked them if they would consider DO students, do you feel that's appropriate and I would get honest responses?

Do you mind sharing your step 1 or comlex scores? I’m entering DO and I’m interested in orthopedic surgery too but I’d like to make sure my expectations are realistic.

How’d the ortho match go for you buddy