Pros & Cons of University at Buffalo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmDJen

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!

So far, I haven't heard much about University at Buffalo.

What's the word on this school?
Does it suck? Does it kick butt?

Anyone!!

Members don't see this ad.

This is the best pharmacy school in ny state and one of the top ten in this country. i'm actually doing my last year of pharmd in buffalo right now...good reputation in ny and many opportunities. Its hard to get in though...800+ applications last year with only ~115 seats available.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is great news! I've been accepted to Univ at Buffalo, but I was hesitant about actually going there, since it's so far from home. But the main reasons why I applied are:
1. The tuition is less than west coast private schools, even for out-of-state students it's a lot less.
2. It's accredited.
3. It's an entirely new environment for me (I live in Ca). Snow!!

PharmDJen said:
This is great news! I've been accepted to Univ at Buffalo, but I was hesitant about actually going there, since it's so far from home. But the main reasons why I applied are:
1. The tuition is less than west coast private schools, even for out-of-state students it's a lot less.
2. It's accredited.
3. It's an entirely new environment for me (I live in Ca). Snow!!
I hate snow....at least right now I do.
actually snow is OK if you don't have to drive anywhere, but I have to commute almost an hour to school.
Snow is cool for about the first month, then it gets old...unless you're a skier.
I live on the east side of Lake Michgan and we get a lot of lake-effect snow.
Buffalo is even worse.
Not to be too negative, but I hope you aren't a sun-worshipper...If Buffalo is
anything like here, you'll stop seeing the sun in November. But don't worry, it comes back in April (well, it's almost that bad).
I think I'm going to move to New Mexico when I'm done with school.
:cool:

well looks like I'll be seeing u guys there!!
I got into a couple other places...so I wasn't sure...But i've asked around and Buffalo sounds like a good well rounded program with snow being the only downside. So I've accepted the admissions offer!! :)

But during any hols i'm rushing to warmer places....that way it will be a balance and maybe the snow won't be all that frustrating.... ;)

Hey Hopeful, do you plan to live on campus? I was looking at some of the apartments/houses around that area and most of them are from the 1800's and have a creepy victorian look. eek

Where is a good place to live nearby the UB?

Okay, I have to choose between SUNY Buffalo, Oregon State, and I also have good chances of getting into Washington and Montana. Any insight is appreciated

CSzGirl said:
Okay, I have to choose between SUNY Buffalo, Oregon State, and I also have good chances of getting into Washington and Montana. Any insight is appreciated

Wow, congrat.
Did you hear from Washington?

ShootForTheMoon said:
Wow, congrat.
Did you hear from Washington?

Yes, I got in! :) I've pretty much decided on going there, even though it is very $pendy...

Any inputs from University at Buffalo pharmacy student and graduate? Are you happy with your decision to attend UB? I am particularly interested in knowing how competitive the class is after one is accepted into the program. I can't help but get the impression from some SDN postings that it is hard to do well enough to not get kicked out? How time sonsuming is the pharmacy curriculum? do you go to class from 8-4, M-F?

Any inputs from University at Buffalo pharmacy student and graduate? Are you happy with your decision to attend UB? I am particularly interested in knowing how competitive the class is after one is accepted into the program. I can't help but get the impression from some SDN postings that it is hard to do well enough to not get kicked out? How time sonsuming is the pharmacy curriculum? do you go to class from 8-4, M-F?

I graduated in 2004 and was very happy with my education. The school is well organized. It is hard to get kicked out because most students who get accepted are usually the cream of the crop;). The school will do what it can to keep you on track. They want to see you succeed, not fail! There will 2 or 3 students that party too much and fall behind. as for class, there will be some days where you are in class all day and other days where you only have class in the morning. Since NY has a compounding section on the boards, you will have a lab where you make capsules and creams until u turn blue:laugh: UB is a great school. Good luck