pros/cons

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chocoholic16

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey!
i needed some help with cons of pharmacy without sounding against it. It's one of those questions like "what are your weaknesses" that you don't want to undersell youself with.
i would really appreciate any ideas =)
thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Just a suggestion...
Possibly say something about how there are so many different areas in which you could involve yourself with pharmacy. "I want to be a geriatric certified pharmacist and also have a deep interest in research...I want to achieve a great deal in this profession, but I feel like I need to focus my work in one area..."

You can most definitely talk about the shortage expected of pharmacy. It's not a shortage in number, per se. But a shortage in that patients need more pharmaceutical assistance. More consultations are necessary as the number of Rx's have increased and the population of the older generation as also increased.

Check out this article for more info: http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/521115?src=mp

Good luck :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
I actually worked in a Children's Outpatient Pharmacy and witnessed something really sad. There were some families, in which the child was being discharged from the hospital, however the family could not pay for the medicine for the child. Either the insurance was not accepted at the hospital, the insurance did not cover it, or they had no insurance. It was extremely sad bc there was really nothing the pharmacist could do and the kids needed their meds.

Long hours, standing on your feet, dealing with insurance companies, possibility of getting held up, lots of paperwork.

If you're doing clinical in the hospital, you have to deal with your patients dying almost every day.

i definitely had forgotten about the feeling helpless with insurance company problems (esp in jan with the medicareD) and patients dying on you--i've heard some pretty sad stories at my sav-on...

thank you so much everyone! =)
this was my first post ever last night and i got so many replies in less than 24 hours =)