Psychiatry Fellowships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Are psychiatry fellowships generally friendly to DO psychiatrists? Do they require USMLE or not? Thanks.
Yes. No.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
As far as forensic applications, can one get away with unofficial transcripts as part of the application or do they have to be official?
Also some places request a copy of state medical license. Do i need to have medical license in the state I'm current doing residency in or can it be a training license?
Thank you.

Hello,

I am about to start a psychiatry residency in July, and I am interested to learn about the scope of psychiatry, in terms of their limits in practicing general medicine. Is there any fellowship available that will allow me to see patients in a general medicine setting and treat them using the biopsychosocial approach?

I suppose I am concerned about losing my clinical skills and knowledge in general medicine.

Any help would be fantastic. Thanks!

JCMD

It really depends on how comfortable you are in treating "general medicine" issues and what kind of issues do you actually mean, but since you brought up bps approach, I think you could look into 3 of the following fellowships?

CL psychiatry
Palliative medicine
Integrative medicine

Members don't see this ad :)
what i dont understand is why certain fellowships can be done during PGY4 year and others cannot? ie. child and adolescent, research fellowship is fine...but you cannot do forensics, or pain during PGY4 year.
It's a decision by ABPN whether or not you qualify to take your ABPN boards or not. The requirement is a 4 year residency training or 3+2 of child fellowship. As above, there's been mentioned of fast tracking for forensics, CL etc, but doubt ABPN will do it in the near future, until there's enough pressure from all the other subspecialties in crying out to ABPN because there's no fellows anymore.

I know I´m not the first person to ask this question, but does anyone have information on Womens Mental Health fellowships? I know of a couple of them and just wanted some advice regarding pursuing this unaccredited fellowship and what it may add to my career opportunities. It seems to me that people who enter this field feel that they can get sufficient training by tailoring their residency experience. Also, aside from the fellowship, does anyone have other suggestions on how to best prepare for this field during residency? Thanks!

Ditto the comment on finding a CL fellowship. There were a lot of women's health topics during the last ACLP meeting in Nov, and most of the prominent psychiatrist in Women's health is boarded in CL psychiatry at this point. There's a special interest group in CL for women's health. And if being "officially boarded" and recognized as a subspecialty means something to you, thats the closest you get for women's health. You would want to pick a CL program that is strong in women's health though, and look into more detail. Most programs does mention women's health as a elective/track but you're then doing outpatient clinic but seeing only female patients who are depressed and that pales in comparison to the more niche/difficult women's health issues - menopausal treatments, substance/psychosis in pregnancy, etc.

I understand you can do fellowships in Child and Adolescent Psych, Psychosomatic medicine, Forensic Psych, Geriatric Psych and Addiction Psych, but what about brain injury medicine, pain medicine, and sleep medicine? Are they subspecialties/fellowships of Psychiatry?
I am a little bit confused.

Some pain and sleep medicine training programs/departments are under psychiatry, some are not (under anesthesia or sleep under pulm), and some psychiatry residents go into those. Rare but they do. If you want those programs, will have to talk to their PD and see if they are friendly towards psych applicants or not.

Q. What fellowships in psychiatry exist? Where can I find more information on them?

A. The following list are the board certified specialty fellowships within psychiatry. The entrance to psychiatric fellowships require the completion of an accredited psychiatry residency, with the exception of child/adolescent psychiatry (explained below). All board certified fellowships are one year in length with the exception of child/adolescent psychiatry, which is two years. Many programs with linked child/adolescent fellowships out of residency allow the resident to enter the fellowship in their PGY-IV year, thus eliminating the extra year of training. Information on salaries, average hours worked, moonlighting opportunities, call schedule, etc can generally be obtained through the FREIDA website. Users are encouraged to visit the individual program websites or contact programs directly to obtain the most up-to-date information.

Fellowship in Addiction Psychiatry
American Academy of Addiction Psychiatry
Addiction Psychiatry fellowship listing

Fellowship in Child/Adolescent Psychiatry
American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
Child/Adolescent fellowship listing available at FREIDA

Fellowship in Forensic Psychiatry
American Academy of Psychiatry and the Law
Forensic Psychiatry fellowship listing

Fellowship in Geriatric Psychiatry
American Association of Geriatric Psychiatry
Geriatric Psychiatry fellowship listing available at FREIDA

Fellowship in C/L (Consultation-Liason) now known as Psychosomatic Medicine
Academy of Psychosomatic Medicine - The Organization for Consultation and Liason Psychiatry
Psychosomatic Medicine / C/L fellowship listing

Fellowship in Pain Medicine
Pain Medicine fellowship listing (click pain medicine [P]) under search criteria

Fellowship in Public and Community Psychiatry
AACP Training Sites

Psychiatry also has fellowships that are not board certified, but consist of either specialized topics typically offered through institutions or the APA itself, or in disciplines important within psychiatry. The following is a partial listing. They include anxiety/mood disorders, immunology, neuroscience, psychopharmacology, epidemiology, cancer, genetics, schizophrenia, infant, and others.
Additional fellowships

There are some newer fellowships (Brain Injury Medicine, Sleep, etc) and niche semi-formal ones (Transgender Psychiatry, PTSD Research, Neuroimaging, etc).

just curious - is there any advantage to doing 2 fellowships - say for instance child and addiction? and then subsequently work with kids who have substance problems.
would doing one of these fellowships train you adequately in the other area to practice with that population, or is this program dependent?

There is an advantage to doing forensics with some of the other fellowships, such as child or neuroimaging.

Does anyone have any sense of how competitive the ptsd research fellowship is? Or, better yet, where I can find numbers indicating its competitiveness? Thank you.

Does anyone have any sense of how competitive the ptsd research fellowship is? Or, better yet, where I can find numbers indicating its competitiveness? Thank you.

I didn’t know it existed, but I wouldn’t expect it to be competitive. Competitiveness follows $, and research isn’t lucrative for most MD’s. If interested, I’d apply regardless of scores.

Are you talking about the on with Stanford? My friend did it (did not complete it) and I dont think it was too competitive. It was VA based
With the right marketing, you could get referrals for PTSD expert witness work. For my friend, he was able to get a VA job in the bay area which is competitive due to location.

Stanford among others, yes! What tier residency program did your friend come from if you don't mind me asking? Also, do you have any sense of how many pubs they had when applying?

I'm currently a PG3 in psychiatry and only recently became interested in Forensics Psychiatry. Am I too late to the game? Where can I go to get more information? My program does not have an "in-built" forensics rotation and not many forensic psychiatrists...

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a similar question about forensics. I've had a weird path through GME, and in addition to being a non-traditional resident (staring down the barrel of being 43 with between 1 1/2-2 more years to go), I have beaucoup loans. During my unusual trajectory, I ended up in a position where I was required to write forensic reports for family court. I not only really enjoyed writing them, I got compliments from the judges.

So I've been kicking around the idea of doing a forensics fellowship in order to have side-hustle. My primary love is outpatient, but I'd love to have another option to really whack away at the loans. I have a friend who isn't practicing anymore, who has told me that if I want to do consulting work like that, I don't really need the fellowship so as not to sacrifice another year of attending salary at my age. Thoughts?

I went un-matched into psychiatry this year and am planning to re-apply next cycle. Are there any fellowships or therapy programs that require just an MD without residency and may be possible for me to apply to during this gap year? Any other suggestions on best possible things to do with time are welcome. Thank you.

I went un-matched into psychiatry this year and am planning to re-apply next cycle. Are there any fellowships or therapy programs that require just an MD without residency and may be possible for me to apply to during this gap year? Any other suggestions on best possible things to do with time are welcome. Thank you.

I have no idea if this is possible, but I've heard of physicians doing Psychology Fellowships which are typically one year and are paid. Reviewing a few websites, they don't explicitly say they accept MDs but it would be worth a shot. If a program is still unfilled, they might be willing to let you on despite not having a PhD/PsyD? Couldn't hurt to reach out. Keep in mind that this wouldn't qualify as an intern year to get your license but it will be educational, paid, and continue showing your interest and dedication to the field.

I wonder if anyone else has any more info on this?

I have a similar question about forensics. I've had a weird path through GME, and in addition to being a non-traditional resident (staring down the barrel of being 43 with between 1 1/2-2 more years to go), I have beaucoup loans. During my unusual trajectory, I ended up in a position where I was required to write forensic reports for family court. I not only really enjoyed writing them, I got compliments from the judges.

So I've been kicking around the idea of doing a forensics fellowship in order to have side-hustle. My primary love is outpatient, but I'd love to have another option to really whack away at the loans. I have a friend who isn't practicing anymore, who has told me that if I want to do consulting work like that, I don't really need the fellowship so as not to sacrifice another year of attending salary at my age. Thoughts?

Both of these are very important questions. I don't think many people on this forum read this thread (it's a sticky with just information in it). Please start a new topic in the psychiatry forum and post your question there so people who are in-the-know can provide answers.

Stanford among others, yes! What tier residency program did your friend come from if you don't mind me asking? Also, do you have any sense of how many pubs they had when applying?
He came from Hennepin County. I interviewed there and did not match there myself. Perhaps it is mid-tier?

To add to that list, Yale University offers public/community psychiatry fellowships. My good friend graduated out of that program over a year ago, and his focus was community psychiatry serving the Hispanic community. It appears the stated of CT is getting very involved in getting speciality outpatient psychiatry clinics up, including services with a cross-cultural psychiatry component.
Adding some information for the UCSF Public Psychiatry Fellowship:

The UCSF fellowship is modeled after Columbia’s Public Psychiatry Fellowship, with an additional mental health services research training component. This training approach was initially described in Academic Psychiatry, and their capstone projects were highlighted in Academic Psychiatry. The program was also highlighted by UCSF magazine with an accompanying video. This fellowship is notable for the tremendous networking opportunities for fellows interested in pursuing leadership roles in the public mental health care sector, especially for those residents interested in moving to the Bay Area.
More details about the fellowship can be found on the website (Welcome | UCSF Public Psychiatry Fellowship at ZSFG).

Double-posting here as well (sorry mods! Hope that’s okay, not sure where to ask this Q/post this info:

Addiction Psych vs Addiction Med, open to Psych residents

So, what’s the difference? ERAS has it as two “new” official fellowships. Addiction Psych is ACGME accredited via ABPN (psych&neuro), and Addiction Med is ACGME accredited via the American Board of Preventive Medicine aka ABPM. (Lol).

ERAS:

Also, see here: Addiction Medicine is now a subspecialty of IM, FM, and more — but also confusingly, Psych?

PSYCHIATRY SUBSPECIALTIES

Addiction Medicine
Addiction Psychiatry”

ACGME Psych:

Click on Peds or FM or IM or Anesthesia or even EM, and there are others—and Addiction Psych is listed as a subspeciality of that speciality:

More info from ACGME for Addiction Medicine:

“Applications will be accepted from programs for which the Sponsoring Institution also sponsors an ACGME-accredited program in at least one of the following specialties: anesthesiology, emergency medicine, family medicine, internal medicine, obstetrics and gynecology, pediatrics, preventive medicine, or psychiatry.”

and also,

Fellow Appointments:
Eligibility Criteria
Eligibility Requirements
All required clinical education for entry into ACGME-accredited fellowship programs must be completed in an ACGME-accredited residency program, an AOA-approved residency program…”

Certification
Prev Med boards:

And

And

and you can also come from Peds or OBGYN, any of the 24 specialities:

And from the traditional psych route:

🤯 lol

In terms of job prospects, does it make a difference?

more info from ABPM (prev med):

Last edited:
Is addiction psychiatry worth it financially?
One way it could be worth it is if you develop an expert witness/ IME practice as an addiction psychiatry expert. Examples of cases include DUI, med mal in rehab centers, fitness for duty (i.e. FAA pilot IMEs), etc.

I'm currently a PG3 in psychiatry and only recently became interested in Forensics Psychiatry. Am I too late to the game? Where can I go to get more information? My program does not have an "in-built" forensics rotation and not many forensic psychiatrists...
I found out at the end of pg3 or pg4. Maybe try an away rotation. Many forensic fellowships go unfilled. You may not get the most competitive fellowship. I would join AAPL and get on some committees and work on some articles or other work that could go on your CV. PM me for more.