Psychiatry Residency Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Platypus_Lover

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody! Not sure if this is the appropriate place on SDN to ask this, but I have a few questions regarding my competitiveness for psychiatry residencies. I'm a 4th year student at an average medical school in the midwest, received all passes and 1 honors in M1-2 years and all B's in M3. I got a 217 on my Step 1 and am awaiting my results for CK. I have a fairly above average (from what I've been told) CV with a good amount volunteer experiences and 2 research experiences. I'm sure I'm going overboard, but right now I have a list of around 35 programs I plan on applying to on both the East and West coasts with a few programs scattered throughout the rest of the country. I saw the AMA's report that psychiatry applicants averaged 21 programs applied to, so I feel like I should cut down my number, but I'm afraid of not getting enough interviews, and I'm not sure what programs are reaches for me and what programs would be considered safe or average based on my competitiveness. Here is the list of the programs I have on my list as of right now.

Arkansas
USC
LAC-Harbor-UCLA
UCSF (Fresno)
UCSF
UC Irvine
UCLA
UCSD
CPMC
UCLA-San Fernando Valley
Colorado
Georgetown
George Washington
Emory
Rush
McGaw
Illinois at Chicago
U of Chicago
UK Kansas City
Louisville
Michigan
UMKC
Icahn Beth Israel
Brookdale
Icahn Mt Sinai
Cornell
NYMC Metropolitan
Columbia
Maimonides
NYU
SUNY Brooklyn
Icahn St Luke's-Roosevelt
OHSU
UPMC
MUSC
UT Austin
U of Washington

As you can probably tell I would prefer to go to programs in California or NYC. My advisor told me it was a good idea to apply to most programs in these places if it is where I would really want to live. Again I'm not sure how I stack up to some of these schools and would love any help as to what programs I should eliminate for being either extreme reaches or too low. Thank you for your assistance!

Members don't see this ad.

I would avoid NYMC Metropolitan, Maimonides, and Brookdale. Maimonides is probably the better of these but they are all mostly IMG run and may even prefer this. UCLA, UCSF, Columbia and Cornell are the most competitive programs in the country and beyond your reach. It wouldn't hurt you to apply to reaches though. NYU, Mt Sinai, UW, OHSU and Northwestern are likely out of reach for matching but I certainly would not discouraging you applying to these ones as these are the kinds of reaches that you want to include on your app.

Reactions: 1 user
Do you absolutely have to be on the coasts? If so, as Splik said most of the better programs are probably reaches for you. You could probably match at some of the lower tier ones but you will be with low quality residents, have marginal teaching, and little room for academic advancement. I would look at some of the better places in the Midwest and the South. To your list I would add (while simultaneously deleting some of the ones you have) Vanderbilt, Wash U, UTSW, UNC, and Duke (which is still prob a reach for you). All of these are strong programs with a good infrastructure (though Vanderbilt is somewhat newer than the others) that will give you good training and mentorship.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
New
Hello I have a similar question to dragonball_lea. I do not have a list, but I am an MS4 from a Caribbean medical school who requires a VISA currently completing my 4th year electives. All my cores and electives were done in the states. Just wondering what programs (top tier vs mid tier) and how many programs I should be applying to with my stats. Step1/2ck (240/238) respectively on first attempt. I do not have any research. I am applying this September to match in 2018. Any advice would be much appreciated? A feasibility list would also be much appreciated. I am happy to go anywhere besides California.

I only have experience with applying to CA and NY programs on your list, but here's what I would say.

These programs are reaches, but you should apply to some of them (maybe not UCSF, UCLA, Columbia, or Cornell as these are the most competitive on your list):
UCSF
UCLA
UCSD
Cornell
Columbia
Harbor-UCLA
Icahn Mt Sinai
NYU

These programs are probably within your range:
USC
UCSF (Fresno)
UC Irvine
CPMC
UCLA-San Fernando Valley
Icahn Beth Israel
SUNY Downstate** (not brooklyn)

I only have experience with applying to CA and NY programs on your list, but here's what I would say.

These programs are reaches, but you should apply to some of them (maybe not UCSF, UCLA, Columbia, or Cornell as these are the most competitive on your list):
UCSF
UCLA
UCSD
Cornell
Columbia
Harbor-UCLA
Icahn Mt Sinai
NYU

These programs are probably within your range:
USC
UCSF (Fresno)
UC Irvine
CPMC
UCLA-San Fernando Valley
Icahn Beth Israel
SUNY Downstate** (not brooklyn)

Thank you clozareal. I'm happy to go Northeast, Midwest, South. In your opinion would Duke, MGH, UPMC and Yale be a reaching as well? Step1/2ck (240/238) respectively on first attempt.

Thank you clozareal. I'm happy to go Northeast, Midwest, South. In your opinion would Duke, MGH, UPMC and Yale be a reaching as well? Step1/2ck (240/238) respectively on first attempt.

Step 1/2 scores are only part of the picture. If you provide more information, it would be more helpful to figure out your competitiveness. Are you an US MD student? Do you need a visa for residency?

UPMC has not taken a Caribbean student in
..Um...A while. Do you have a lot of research experience? That is the only way I see you competitive for WPIC. Pittsburgh is not SF or NYC or Seattle desirable, but it is also not the Great Frozen Northm

Realistically, since you're IMG Carribean/need Visa/no research experience, those are out of your reach.

Clozareal actually created a solid list for you (USC/SUNY Downstate list). I would throw in the NYC area Northwell, Rutgers, Einstein.

Last edited:
Step 1/2 scores are only part of the picture. If you provide more information, it would be more helpful to figure out your competitiveness. Are you an US MD student? Do you need a visa for residency?

New
Hello I have a similar question to dragonball_lea. I do not have a list, but I am an MS4 from a Caribbean medical school who requires a VISA currently completing my 4th year electives. All my cores and electives were done in the states. Just wondering what programs (top tier vs mid tier) and how many programs I should be applying to with my stats. Step1/2ck (240/238) respectively on first attempt. I do not have any research. I am applying this September to match in 2018. Any advice would be much appreciated? A feasibility list would also be much appreciated. I am happy to go anywhere besides California.

Whoops. I did not see your post above mine saying that you were a Caribbean medical student. My suggestion would be to make a list of cities you'd be willing to live and look for psychiatry programs in those cities. You can look at the list of residents from the residency program's website to see if they have Caribbean residents or not. I would suggest applying to a wide array of programs. There are some top programs that are foreign friendly though (Duke, Yale, and Pitt)

Here's a list I found from here that is old but might still be good. I'll paste it below in case that website goes down.

--

I have marked the competitive ones (competive for IMGs) with a *. Please check the IMG% to confirm this.
1) *UC Davis – Sacramento
2) *UCLA-Harbor
3) *Thomas Jefferson Philadelphia
4) *USC - LA
5) *Washington University St. Louis
6) *U Maryland/Shepherd Pratt Baltimore
7) *University of Colorodo Denver
8) Cedars-Sinai LA (no longer a residency)
9) UN Las Vegas
10) *UNC Chapel Hill, North Carolina
11) St. Elizabeth’s/ Caritas Boston
12) Hennepin County Minneapolis
13) UN Reno
14) UCSF- Fresno
15) *U of Louisville, KY
16) *St. Louis University
17) Loma Linda, California (east of LA)
18) UCLA-Kern Bakersfield, CA
19) Kansas University Kansas City
20) metrohealth- Cleveland
21) UM Kansas City
22) Texas A&M Temple, TX (1 hour from Austin)
23) VCU Richmond, Virginia
24) Henry Ford, Detroit
25) NYMC Vallhalla, NY (1 hr north of NYC)
26) SUNY Upstate Syracuse, NY
27) Rosalind-Frankin Chicago
28) North General, NYC (harlem)
29) Wright State, Dayton, OH
30) West Virginia University, Morgantown
31) Wayne State, Detroit
32) Howard University, Washington D.C.
33) SIU Springfield, Illinois
34) University of Utah, SLC
35) UK Wichita, KS
36) Elmhurst, Queens ny
37) Creedmoor, Queens NY
38) ECU, Greenville North Carolina
39) ETSU, Johnson City, Tennessee
40) Seton Hall, Elizabeth, NJ
41) U Miss, Jackson Mississippi
42) Univ of South Alabama, Mobile
43) Buffalo, NY
44) Bergen County, NJ
45) Hershey, PA
46) JPS, Ft. Worth, Texas
47) *Harvard South Shore - Brockton, MA
48) Institute of Living, Hartford, CT
49) Univ of Connecticut, Farmington, CT
50) Texas Tech, Lubbock, TX
51) Harlem Hospital, New York City
52) Drexel, PA
53) UTSW, Dallas , TX
54) *Long Island Jewish, NY
55) *Mt. Sinai, NY
56) *UCLA-San Fernando Valley/VA Greater Los Angeles Program
57) Duke, NC
58) Stony Brook, NY
59) Maricopa County, Arizona
60) Jamaica , NY
61) Brookdale, NY
62) University of Alabama Medical Center Program, Birmingham
63) Creighton/University of Nebraska

This list is by no means 100% complete but a good place to start.

Reactions: 1 users
I would avoid NYMC Metropolitan, Maimonides, and Brookdale. Maimonides is probably the better of these but they are all mostly IMG run and may even prefer this. UCLA, UCSF, Columbia and Cornell are the most competitive programs in the country and beyond your reach. It wouldn't hurt you to apply to reaches though. NYU, Mt Sinai, UW, OHSU and Northwestern are likely out of reach for matching but I certainly would not discouraging you applying to these ones as these are the kinds of reaches that you want to include on your app.
Why would Maimonides be a bad choice?

Since you are from the Midwest,

I would considering dropping the KC programs and look into Wisconsin and Medical college of Wisconsin. If you arent particularly interested in private practice in the midwest, Rush would be the program I would take off your 4 in Chicago.