Pulmonary Critical Care Fellowship 2022/2023 Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This is one of those things that is a very low return on investment, and can potentially be harmful.

1) I already know you're interested in my program. You applied.
2) I get 10+ of these a day.
3) I have no way of knowing that you didn't send the same letter to a bunch of other places

Many of these letters come through with clear formatting issues that reveal it's a form email and the name of my program has been cut and paste into it.
For some reason people want to refer to my (and every probably every other) program as "prestigious". My program is 3 years old. It's a fantastic place to train. It's not prestigious (maybe in a decade or two). But this word specifically shows up in nearly every email I get.

So how can this letter help? If you have some very specific tie to the area/program and can tell me specific things about my program that interest you (and not just "I looked at your website and I was really excited by it!"), then it may be useful. When I say specific tie to the area I mean just that. Telling me you have a cousin who lives two hours away... not a great tie to the area. "I grew up down the street from the hospital but moved away for college"... that's a specific tie.

And please please please... if you're sending it to a CCM program, don't say you're excited to apply to my PCCM program. They aren't the same thing.
Hi Doctor Bob. I had recent multiple (>10 case reports) abstract acceptances (mix of oral and poster) from CHEST. I listed them as "submitted" in my ERAS cv. Do you think it is reasonable to update programs?

Members don't see this ad.

So all 78/78 CCM programs will be participating in the NRMP Match this year? If not, how do we tell if they are not?

Hi all has anyone received Virginia University generic invite to sign up on thalamus? or are they actually sending up the interviews this way

Members don't see this ad :)
Ive gotten 2 CCM interviews - but neither are on the tab on the Google doc sheet that was made. My home program still hasn’t sent out interviews, I think CCM is taking longer.
The program is not on the sheet or the invites being sent hasn’t been entered?

So all 78/78 CCM programs will be participating in the NRMP Match this year? If not, how do we tell if they are not?
Not sure how we tell, but I noticed yesterday that one program I applied to (Rutgers) now shows “the “Critical Care” training is no longer being offered…” 😑

Reactions: 1 user
The program is not on the sheet or the invites being sent hasn’t been entered?
There are multiple programs listed under PCCM that aren’t also listed under the CCM tab. I think it’s because of the way they were on ERAS, since some of the programs had two options, either PCCM or CCM. If you just looked at Critical Care Medicine to apply you missed some of the programs that were under Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine that offered two tracks. It was confusing.

For example, Miami/Jackson Health offers both PCCM and CCM, but it isn’t a listed program under CCM.

There are multiple programs listed under PCCM that aren’t also listed under the CCM tab. I think it’s because of the way they were on ERAS, since some of the programs had two options, either PCCM or CCM. If you just looked at Critical Care Medicine to apply you missed some of the programs that were under Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine that offered two tracks. It was confusing.

For example, Miami/Jackson Health offers both PCCM and CCM, but it isn’t a listed program under CCM.
I noticed the same thing on google list. When the sheet says that interviews were sent from a specific program that has both PCCM and CCM, were the interviews sent from PCCM or CCM ?

I noticed the same thing on google list. When the sheet says that interviews were sent from a specific program that has both PCCM and CCM, were the interviews sent from PCCM or CCM ?
I had one of each, one that says PCCM, but I selected the critical care option when I applied under that tab, not pulmonary and critical care. Then the other was under CCM.

Not sure how we tell, but I noticed yesterday that one program I applied to (Rutgers) now shows “the “Critical Care” training is no longer being offered…” 😑
For the specific programs I was interested I emailed the coordinators to see if they were accepting CCM applications this year. Like South Florida for example doesn’t have a spot to fill this year, won’t be able to take someone until a start date of 2024.

For the specific programs I was interested I emailed the coordinators to see if they were accepting CCM applications this year. Like South Florida for example doesn’t have a spot to fill this year, won’t be able to take someone until a start date of 2024.
then why did they open up their application on ERAS? Waste of 26$
Angry Season 2 GIF by The Office

Reactions: 1 users
then why did they open up their application on ERAS? Waste of 26$
Angry Season 2 GIF by The Office
I think they’re taking PCCM, just not CCM. I’m not entirely sure! But I agree, shouldn’t be an option if they’re not participating and there should be a way to reimburse in that scenario.

I think they’re taking PCCM, just not CCM. I’m not entirely sure! But I agree, shouldn’t be an option if they’re not participating and there should be a way to reimburse in that scenario.
Exactly, they opened up for both PCCM and CCM that I am seeing here. Why did they open their CCM portion if they cannot take candidates?

Members don't see this ad :)
Exactly, they opened up for both PCCM and CCM that I am seeing here. Why did they open their CCM portion if they cannot take candidates?
Cannot say, that is just what the told me when I asked about CCM.

I hate being an IMG sometimes. Can't help but feel like I'm the last pick.

My bad - it’s because I missed them when making the list originally. I have since updated the list which now has a total of 77 CCM programs.
If the program is under the PCCM tab then the interview is for PCCM. If it is under CCM then it is for CCM.

My bad - it’s because I missed them when making the list originally. I have since updated the list which now has a total of 77 CCM programs.
If the program is under the PCCM tab then the interview is for PCCM. If it is under CCM then it is for CCM.
77 since rutgers is no longer participating?

Do all program send rejection letters?
Or do you automatically assume that you are rejected if you don't receive any reply/answer?

At this point in time, is it worth it to add more programs?

CCM only:
8/1: University of Washington.

Got a Yale one. That’s all so far.

For anyone interested, CCF told me that they’re only doing 2 year programs next year for what it’s worth. Hope this helps someone.

Or do you automatically assume that you are rejected if you don't receive any reply/answer?

It varies. Some places will send out rejections. Some will not send any communication whatsoever through the entire application cycle. It's unfortunately a painful waiting game.
If you're interested then why not? Pretty sure most places are reviewing applications on a rolling basis (at least my place is) for interviews and its still pretty early in the cycle.

So my PD and the ICU Director at my hospital with have both offered to call programs on my behalf. What is the etiquette for this? Should I have them call programs that invite me for interviews or should I have them just cold call the top programs I would like to match at?

Always a tough one. Presumably these people have already written a LOR for you. So, what are they going to say on the phone to someone who doesn't know them that wasn't conveyed in the letter?
Now, if they know someone at the target program, then absolutely have them call on your behalf.

Hi Doctor Bob. I had recent multiple (>10 case reports) abstract acceptances (mix of oral and poster) from CHEST. I listed them as "submitted" in my ERAS cv. Do you think it is reasonable to update programs?

You can send an update email. Whether it will get looked at is another matter. That's another email type that we get a million of each day. "This abstract I submitted was acccepted; please make a note in my application". For me, if I haven't looked at your application yet, then it's fine. If I have and you're in the gray zone, fine. If I have and you're out of consideration, then additional accepted publications usually won't matter. If I've dropped you out of consideration even before the first wave of interview offers go out then there are serious red flags or other problems that some extra publications won't offset.

I hate being an IMG sometimes. Can't help but feel like I'm the last pick.

ERAS has a bunch of pre-made filters that are available to any program to use. One of them is "US Graduates". Whether a place uses that filter or not is up to them.

No; not all do. Some places are slow. I'm going through hundreds of applications mostly by myself. And I'm on a long string of clinical shifts; tonight is my 18th in a row (with 8 more to go) so I'm a bit behind on putting together my interview list. I told our department scheduler that this was a terrible time of year to give the academic director a heavy clinical load.

Like everything in medicine, it depends.

Last edited:
Does anyone have an idea: does it matter to go for interviews earlier in the cycle like September vs mid/late October? And if program has both am and pm session will it change outcome if you attend pm session. I am just worried attendings/interviewers be so exhausted by the second half of the day and will rush interview so it will be harder to leave a good impression.

I am on nights, woke up today at 5 pm and saw invitation from ERAS but all spots in September already booked. Jeez, so quick! Invitation was sent around 2 pm early same day. I booked myself for October 10, pm session.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Does anyone have an idea: does it matter to go for interviews earlier in the cycle like September vs mid/late October? And if program has both am and pm session will it change outcome if you attend pm session. I am just worried attendings/interviewers be so exhausted by the second half of the day and will rush interview so it will be harder to leave a good impression.

I am on nights, woke up today at 5 pm and saw invitation from ERAS but all spots in September already booked. Jeez, so quick! Invitation was sent around 2 pm early same day. I booked myself for October 10, pm session.

Thank you.
It's something I've certainly thought about, but came to the realization that I can't control it so I stopped worrying and booked the afternoon sessions.

I'll bet the programs have several staff that are waiting for the pm sessions just like us. Also, if they're tired, maybe they'll be more easily impressed and less apt to catch my babbling?

Reactions: 2 users

Thank you.

Each program might differ, but, from what I've seen in some places, interviewing earlier is better than later. There is some chance of going to interview later in the season and maybe that program already has a "List of Favorites" that you'll be fighting against, having to knock someone out of the list to be there. Again, I don't believe it matters in many places, specially if you're better in many aspects than the other applicants, but if your application is as good as someone else already in a hypothetical list, than they might just keep that person in the list, not you.

AM/PM I don't think makes any difference. If the person is exhausted by the afternoon, is that person even an intensivist to begin with? Lol! Jokes apart, the PDs and chief residents I know see no difference between interviewing morning or afternoon.

Does anyone know if we update our personal statement on ERAS does it update to the programs or only if they download our profile again?
Thanks

Does anyone know if we update our personal statement on ERAS does it update to the programs or only if they download our profile again?
Thanks
your personal statement is locked in to the programs you already sent it to.

I think it is not too late. I personally applied to residency in 2 bunches: first - on time when cycle opened and then added more programs because was very nervous about not matching. Ended up with 18 interviews, and matched to my top choice from the "added programs later in the cycle."

Heme-onc and cardiology fellowship programs at my hospital (community/university affiliated) do not review applicants till late August/September. And program coordinator who filters applicants initially said that she does not care about July 20th date at all. It is all about qualifications of applicant. That possibly does not apply to top programs, but if you just want to add safer/security options why not.

How are people fairing in terms of the number of interviews for CCM? The silence is killing!

What does “rolling basis” for fellowship enrollment mean? I understand that program will not participate in NRMP match, but what I do not understand do they send out fellowship offers after they completing interviewing all candidates or do they invite people they like to join fellowship right after the same interview day?

Last edited:
What does “rolling basis” for fellowship enrollment mean? I understand that program will not participate in NRMP match, but what I do not understand do they send out fellowship offers after they completing interviewing all candidates or do they invite people they like to join fellowship right after the same interview day?
From my understanding, rolling basis just means programs will review applications as they come along for interviews. For programs participating in the NRMP match this year, once all interviews are done...a rank list is made and then subsequent offers are released on match day (12/1).

For the ones not participating, these rules don't apply (similar to how some residency programs are) and they can offer you a spot outside the match as they like.

From my understanding, rolling basis just means programs will review applications as they come along for interviews. For programs participating in the NRMP match this year, once all interviews are done...a rank list is made and then subsequent offers are released on match day (12/1).

For the ones not participating, these rules don't apply (similar to how some residency programs are) and they can offer you a spot outside the match as they like.
Do we know which programs are not participating in the match this year, esp for CCM?

I was posed this question by a fellow applicant, didn't really know how to answer and then started to wonder myself: How late in the season (September/October) are interviews sent? Are they sent in waves? All at once? Can someone with 2 now expect more (as some applicants already have 12). Any previous applicants or PD/APD know a general answer this? I assume the interviews attended will be higher per applicant being the process is virtual now. Thanks

I was posed this question by a fellow applicant, didn't really know how to answer and then started to wonder myself: How late in the season (September/October) are interviews sent? Are they sent in waves? All at once? Can someone with 2 now expect more (as some applicants already have 12). Any previous applicants or PD/APD know a general answer this? I assume the interviews attended will be higher per applicant being the process is virtual now. Thanks

Yes, of course you should expect more interviews. According to the spread sheets from last year people were getting invitations late into September. Not sure if all hospitals sent interviews “in waves” but some definitely do. I just got an invitation from the hospital which have sent invitations prior this cycle. Good luck!

Any tips for virtual interviews?

It feels so strange to have a future riding on me talking from my living room.

Any tips for virtual interviews?

It feels so strange to have a future riding on me talking from my living room.
At the mock interview session conducted by my residency program was said to make sure there is no awkward objects behind you, plain white/gray/beige wall is the best background. Dress professionally. Be nice to everyone even during “break room” session with other residents since you don’t know who might be watching. Also make sure not to use your phone or appear like you do not pay attention during the interview. If your lighting is too dark may be get a ring light on Amazon. Get a webcam if your computer webcam does not have a good quality and AirPod are good for both listening and speaking.

Last edited:
Having a hard time ranking programs. Please help.
How do these programs compare to each other? Thomas Jefferson vs Brown vs Medical College of Wisconsin vs Spectrum/Michigan State University vs ECU/Vidant vs West Virginia University vs Mt Sinai Morningside West.

Hi all, I hope you all had a successful cycle last year. ERAS just opened up for the 2023-2024 cycle. And I'm starting to fret. As an IM applicant with lower board scores, do I even have a chance? Step 1 21x and step 2 21x. Comlex scores meh too. I've done excellent on my ITEs thus far but don't think that gets mentioned other than in my PD letter.

Am I totally screwed? :cryi:

Applying this year too. Cautiously optimistic :D
Will someone open a thread for 2023-2024 cycle?