Purdue c/o 2018 Applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
so that's it then... its over?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Would it be rude of me to ask the credentials of those that were accepted?

yep its playing in the background (my class lecture) but i've lost all function again..so much for moving on..fell right off that wagon

I'm pretty average and my GRE sucked some big D. But I think I had plenty of experience and Purdue LOVES my college -- they like to pick at least one person from there every year. It's a tiny ag school with lots of hands on learning. I've even gotten to do sx/suturing on lab animals. I think I posted my stats in the what are my chances thread so let me try to find it.

Would it be rude of me to ask the credentials of those that were accepted?
I didn't know how to send a link to a post, so I'm going to copy and paste it.

23 yr old New Jersey resident, graduated with honors
Major: Biology pre-professional
(according to VMCAS)
Science GPA: 3.36
Non-science: 3.7
Cumulative: 3.51
Last 45 (ish): ~3.8 (its hard for me to determine since its more like 47 & I took a course following graduation)

GRE:
Verbal: 154 (62)
Quant: 153 (53)
Writing: 4.5 (78)

Experience - animal
Vet experience (small animal) hours: 2,500 (only 200 hours unpaid)<---I'm not sure if I got more than by the time I applied
Wildlife volunteer: 52
Animal laboratory: 392
Dog groomer: 275
Equine stable hand: 1,100

Non-animal
Independent student research: 48
Biology tutor on campus: 150
Microbiology lab tech on campus: 266

Currently employed full time at animal hospital

The only award I have from college is graduating Cum Laude. The other two were scholarships I won in high school from the National Honors society. And most of my community activities were from high school as well. The only ones from college are chemistry club, ultimate club (VP), student gov’t (treasurer) and wildlife society.

Letters of recommendation
2 of the 3 vets I currently work for
My microbiology employer/ molecular biology professor
(and for Cornell only)
Wildlife center employee
Animal laboratory manager

I'll give you what I can pull off the top of my head.
GPA cumulative: 3.75
GPA science: depends on how you calculate but it is somewhere between a 3.75 and 3.9 depending if cell bio is included lol!!
GRE: V: 155. Q: 155. A: 4.0
Vet experience: ~100 hrs unpaid small animal referral clinic
~60hrs unpaid equine shadowing.
Animal experience:
Way too much to write.
Thousands of hours training my horses and pet ownership alone.
Volunteered with a girls scout horse camp for about 7 years
Internship in wildlife rehab center ~200 hrs
Volunteering at same wildlife center ~100 hrs
Involved in scientific journal club
President of pre vet club at my school
I work part time
I'm sure that I'm forgetting some stuff but I think I got all of the "big" things.

I didn't know how to send a link to a post, so I'm going to copy and paste it.

23 yr old New Jersey resident, graduated with honors
Major: Biology pre-professional
(according to VMCAS)
Science GPA: 3.36
Non-science: 3.7
Cumulative: 3.51
Last 45 (ish): ~3.8 (its hard for me to determine since its more like 47 & I took a course following graduation)

GRE:
Verbal: 154 (62)
Quant: 153 (53)
Writing: 4.5 (78)

Experience - animal
Vet experience (small animal) hours: 2,500 (only 200 hours unpaid)<---I'm not sure if I got more than by the time I applied
Wildlife volunteer: 52
Animal laboratory: 392
Dog groomer: 275
Equine stable hand: 1,100

Non-animal
Independent student research: 48
Biology tutor on campus: 150
Microbiology lab tech on campus: 266

Currently employed full time at animal hospital

The only award I have from college is graduating Cum Laude. The other two were scholarships I won in high school from the National Honors society. And most of my community activities were from high school as well. The only ones from college are chemistry club, ultimate club (VP), student gov’t (treasurer) and wildlife society.

Letters of recommendation
2 of the 3 vets I currently work for
My microbiology employer/ molecular biology professor
(and for Cornell only)
Wildlife center employee
Animal laboratory manager
Thank you so much!!

Reactions: 1 user
Guess I forgot some things. I'll be graduating this semester with a BS in biology, likely with honors. Last 45 hrs is probably between 3.85 and 3.9. I'm 22. ( sorry mine is all disorganized)
Whoops lol : Kansas resident

Guess I forgot some things. I'll be graduating this semester with a BS in biology, likely with honors. Last 45 hrs is probably between 3.85 and 3.9. I'm 22. ( sorry mine is all disorganized)
Whoops lol : Kansas resident
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! here are some of my stats. Bachelor's in Pre-Veterinary Sciences and a minor in biology from Umass Amherst 2013. Science GPA 3.5, Non Science GPA 3.7
GRE: verbal 156, quantitative 150, writing 5.0

Spent the summer after graduation as a herd manager on an alpaca farm in Maine (250 hours)
Currently a teaching assistant for the North American Camelid Studies Program (3rd semester, ~3000 hours including chores)

Donkey and Alpaca Reproduction Research, including an independent study (more than 800 hours)-ongoing

President of Pre-Vet Club
Member of donkey club, wildlife society, national society for leadership and success, belted galloway group, peer mentoring club
Teaching assistant for animal welfare, intro ansci, animal management

Small Animal Veterinary Assistant (450 hours)
Dakin Humane Society Intern/ Returning Intern Supervisor (250 hours)
Residence Hall Security Monitor
Dog Sitter
Personal Care Worker (Human Healthcare)-currently part-time

good luck!

Thanks everyone. I guess my interview just sucked cause I'm right there with all of you in the GPA/GRE category as well as experience. Oh well :-/

Thanks everyone. I guess my interview just sucked cause I'm right there with all of you in the GPA/GRE category as well as experience. Oh well :-/
Don't get down on yourself. I didn't feel amazing about my interview. I think some demographics and other non academic non interview things play into it too. I felt that another of my interviews went great but I got wait listed there. Speaking of which, you might get alternate status and be accepted a bit later!!

Here's my stats... looking at other accepted student stats (Purdue+others), I feel like there is no good or bad. There's just different, and each selection just depends on the college. It sometimes looks random. Please, try to keep you head up. You've worked really hard and it's not over yet.

22 year old, female, Wisconsin resident

Academic:
Major: Biology and Pre-Vet
Minor: Animal Science and Chemistry
Cumulative GPA: 3.992
Science GPA: 4.0
Last 30 credits GPA: 4.0
GRE:152 (V), 156 (Q), 4(W)

Vet Experience:
Vet Assistant at 24hr Emergency and Specialty Clinic: ~1000hr
Dog Sled Race Vet Check Volunteer: ~12 hr
Equine Hospital: 70 hrs
Vet Shadow: 30 hr

Animal Experience:
Shelter Volunteer: 20 hrs
Dog Sled Race Volunteer: 30hrs
Kid's Horse Camp: 30 hrs
Therapeutic Riding Center for disabled kids:150 hrs
Horseback Riding/lessons: 500+ hrs
Pet-Sitting: 300+
+more random things

Activities
Collegiate Cross Country and Track Athlete
Companion Animal Club Treasurer
Pre-Vet Club Member
Intervarsity Christian Community
Zoology Lab Assistant
Charity Run/walk volunteer
Assistant High school Cross Country Coach
WI Interprofessional Healthcare Case Competition
+ other volunteer work

Awards
Dean's list
multiple scholarships
Athletic Conference Academic awards

Letters of Rec
2 vets at the emergency clinic
my manager at the emergency clinic
my cross country/track coach

At first I thought my interview went really well (despite only getting 2 hours sleep from being horribly ill the night before). But then I started to over think it and thought I answered my questions horribly. They gave me all scenario and ethical questions that I was not prepared for at all. I hope you end up accepted after-all and we can be classmates!! Admissions did say mid week so maybe there is one more day left before e-mails.

I'm sticking it out for one more day. It's not over until the fat lady sings! Or until we get the e-mails/letter or however they're being done.

Congratulations everyone who was accepted! and I really hope you guys who are still waiting hear some good news tomorrow!!

Reactions: 1 users
I know time is running out but I really hope calls continue to go out tomorrow.

Purdue...call me, maybe

Reactions: 6 users
I talked to Student Services today and it didn't sound like they were done yet. Still hanging on here.

I talked to Student Services today and it didn't sound like they were done yet. Still hanging on here.
Here's to a teeny tiny itty bitty bit of hope! And thanks for being the brave one to call and check!!

Here's to a teeny tiny itty bitty bit of hope! And thanks for being the brave one to call and check!!
Even a teeny tiny itty bitty hope is better than tearing my hair out!

Alternate...just got the email...oh well such is life

Got got my email..OOS wait listed.:( I really liked Purdue too! That's 3 wait lists and 1 rejection...not sure how much more I can handle!

Same, IS rejected. Guess I'll try again next year.

At least now I don't have to jump every time my phone makes a noise

IS rejected. Way harsh.
MSU here I come.

"Your position on this waitlist is confidential"

SERIOUSLY JUST PUT ME OUT OF MY MISERY.

End rant. Sigh. Not worst case scenario I guess. Anyone know how many people are usually on the IS waitlist?

ETA: anyone know how much the IS waitlist usually moves?

Got got my email..OOS wait listed.:( I really liked Purdue too! That's 3 wait lists and 1 rejection...not sure how much more I can handle!

That is seriously rough!! I hope you get a call on April 16th from your #1 though!!

Nooo not @WulfpackChica and @MEA3885 !! What about @moonlitmare ??
Yup and I'll probably take my name off the wait list since they say we probably won't hear back til after April 15th when I will have already made a decision and deposit to another school. Oh well.

Congrats to everyone who got accepted!! And congrats to the C/O 2018! We are all going to be vets!!! Woohoo!!!

I think @HillRunner7 got accepted to their IS school. Makes me sad 'cause I liked you guys :(

I think @HillRunner7 got accepted to their IS school. Makes me sad 'cause I liked you guys :(
Seriously!! We would have been the best class Purdue had ever seen! But I'm so happy for you @evilsquirrel!!

Yeah, I have been accepted IS and it is my first choice. I'm sad to be leaving you guys too. I really liked all of you and would have loved to be a part of your "Purdue Family". I really hope that maybe we'll run into each other in the future, at conferences/conventions and other things. Congrats to all those who have been accepted, and hopefully my spot can help those who have been wait-listed. Good luck to everyone with their future goals and ambitions. For us accepted students, the journey has just only begun!

Congrats to the Purdue class of 2018!

Got my email today- I'm out. I'm also completely baffled because I felt like my Purdue interview went 100x better than another interview I had, where I ended up getting in. I guess my perception of how things went must be completely off. I would have liked to have had Purdue as an option, since I have friends and family in that area and I liked the small class size, but I can't complain because when it comes down to it, I'm going to be a vet!!!

So again, congrats to those that are in! @MEA3885 It seems like you and I have applied to a lot of the same schools. Any good news come your way from the others yet? I hope so!

Congrats to the Purdue class of 2018!

Got my email today- I'm out. I'm also completely baffled because I felt like my Purdue interview went 100x better than another interview I had, where I ended up getting in. I guess my perception of how things went must be completely off. I would have liked to have had Purdue as an option, since I have friends and family in that area and I liked the small class size, but I can't complain because when it comes down to it, I'm going to be a vet!!!

So again, congrats to those that are in! @MEA3885 It seems like you and I have applied to a lot of the same schools. Any good news come your way from the others yet? I hope so!
Yup! I'm in at UTK and KSU. I feel the same way you do though. I thought my Purdue interview was 100 times better than my UTK interview and UTK only takes 25 OOS Purdue takes 40. Still waiting to hear from several more. I just really liked Purdue and the food animal track and small class size but like you said we are going to be vets!!

Where else did you apply have you gotten any good news yet?

Yup! I'm in at UTK and KSU. I feel the same way you do though. I thought my Purdue interview was 100 times better than my UTK interview and UTK only takes 25 OOS Purdue takes 40. Still waiting to hear from several more. I just really liked Purdue and the food animal track and small class size but like you said we are going to be vets!!

Where else did you apply have you gotten any good news yet?
I got into Ohio State and Murdoch in Australia. Waiting to hear from Georgia, Illinois,Wisconsin, Ross, and St. George's. Declined interview at Midwestern. Rejected from Missouri, Colorado State, VA-MD, Florida, and now Purdue. As of now, are you leaning more towards UTK or KSU? Congrats on your acceptances!

I got into Ohio State and Murdoch in Australia. Waiting to hear from Georgia, Illinois,Wisconsin, Ross, and St. George's. Declined interview at Midwestern. Rejected from Missouri, Colorado State, VA-MD, Florida, and now Purdue. As of now, are you leaning more towards UTK or KSU? Congrats on your acceptances!
Australia!! How amazing!!! Congrats! I'm leaning towards UTK for sure! I really like UGA so hopefully we will get good news from them soon!

Australia!! How amazing!!! Congrats! I'm leaning towards UTK for sure! I really like UGA so hopefully we will get good news from them soon!
Yeah, UGA is my "in-state"/contract school, and I have friends in vet school there now, so still anxiously awaiting.

Oh and edit: just got my rejection letter from Wisconsin in the mail. 2 rejections in one day is way harsh. :bang:

I got waitlisted at KSU and you got waitlisted at Purdue...I guess we are not meant to be :cryi:

Congrats to the peeps who made it
........Waitlisted...........
For a moment I felt I was free
I am Jack's broken heart

Congrats to the peeps who made it
........Waitlisted...........
For a moment I felt I was free
I am Jack's broken heart
If it makes you feel better, a couple of people who were accepted have now been accepted to their IS so spots should be opening up!!

YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO COME BE FRIENDS WITH ME! :highfive:

Wait listed....Oh well. I have already made my decision for my IS school

If it makes you feel better, a couple of people who were accepted have now been accepted to their IS so spots should be opening up!!

YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO COME BE FRIENDS WITH ME! :highfive:

thx squirrel
I am IS. I don't anticipate that list to move much.