Quadriplegic acceptance into medical school: please help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
dragon natural speaking = rad

i know docs who use the med version to dictate (able bodies!) look into it ppl.

see, i'm a normal person when my passions are not being questioned but i can pull out the sass at the drop of the hat [/quote]

Well, you're proof of what I think is the #1 requirement to get into medical school: perseverance. Awesome.

As far as the bolded section, I'd work on that for interviews, if you haven't already. While you have every right to be defensive (I suspect most people are either rude or condescending to you) you should control that for interviews. A good attitude -- a realistic perspective on your disability, humility, graciousness -- will get you further than "Well, so-an-so did it! and how would YOU feel?" Like I said, valid points, but not always appropriate for medical school interviews.

I hope your PS rocks, that's what's going to make them decide if you're worth making accommodations for. Once they've got you there for interview, that's a pretty good sign that they'd be willing to roll out the ramp for you, so to speak :) Just don't come across as defensive in the interviews! Good luck! I think you'll make a great doctor.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure if you've seen this site, or if was brought up in some of the later replies (I started skimming after a while). It provides a list of schools that have accepted students with disabilites, including what disablities the students had. I hope you find it helpful! Good Luck!!! :luck::luck::luck:

http://www.ncsd.org/medschools.htm

I'm not sure if you've seen this site, or if was brought up in some of the later replies (I started skimming after a while). It provides a list of schools that have accepted students with disabilites, including what disablities the students had. I hope you find it helpful! Good Luck!!! :luck::luck::luck:

that list sounds like just what the OP is looking for.

I'd still recommend he contact the schools individually before applying (perhaps using the contacts on that list), but this sounds like a good framework to go off of. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
With regards to your question about which schools, you are going to have a tough time here. I won't say you are the first quadriplegic to post, but it is most likely a pretty low number. I think your connections within your network through rehab, shadowing, etc. will get you far more answers.

Also, I respect your attitude tremendously, especially if you are only a year removed. That isn't very much time to wait till you start trucking away. I don't think any of us are saying it is impossible, nor do we want you to be denied from every school. (Your stats are quite impressive) When all is said and done, it comes down to how each school administration is willing to accommodate you. Yes, you know plenty of quadriplegic physicians but you said most of them got that way after they were through the training. There will be fundamental holes left in education by not being able to do certain things. You probably won't ever need those areas, but it helps to learn anyway..Aside from the clinical years, you'll need special accommodations for Step 2 CS. All I can say is that you need to make a lot of phone calls and hope for the best. I do wish you the best of luck with it. I really couldn't imagine that happening to me, so I do understand the defensiveness.

Also, that dragon software can be a pain....you get extra props for that crap.

University of Pittsburgh, I believe they just graduated someone who is quadriplegic this past April or May or whenever it was. Actually PM me, I will email the med student I heard that from, and ask for this persons email if they are willing to talk to you about it. I know she just went through the whole process of applying four years ago so would know something about the schools attitudes. Hope that helps! :)

Agreed. While the first two years of med school wouldn't be impossible for a quadriplegic, a school would have to be totally willing to revamp its clinical years to allow someone without use of arms to succeed.

In third year all you are doing is using your arms and legs. You are holding retractors during surgery, and maybe throwing a stitch or staple or two. You are putting in peripheral lines, pulling drains, taking down bandages. You are fetching info from the charts for the residents during rounds. You are helping move patients onto and off of stretchers, or flipping them to see if they have bed sores. You are performing physical exams which generally involve palpation and percussion and manipulation of body parts. You are performing DREs. You are walking around the hospital, up and down stairs and from room to room to discuss each patient. Someone who doesn't participate in these things isn't really getting a clinical year med school education. While medicine is cerebral in theory, it really isn't in practice.
I have to imagine that all of this had to be adjusted for the blind med student at UW, so it wouldn't be a first.

Would robotic surgery also be an avenue you could consider entering?

I don’t know why schools cant be accommodating in terms of clinical rotations, or whatever. Schools give accommodations and change standards for far less noble causes and for far less courageous people.

A quote I live by:
"You can due anything you put your mind to."
Keep pushing hard, keep learning. If you have the drive for it, who can deny you.

-Mike

I have to imagine that all of this had to be adjusted for the blind med student at UW, so it wouldn't be a first.

They made a ton of accomodations for him, and he brought quite a lot of technology to bear to enable him to do a lot of the physical exam and chart stuff. He also reportedly (according to news articles) had a very good sense of touch, allowing him to excel at portions of the physical exam, so his involvement in patient care was more than simply cerebral and verbal, which I think is key. He graduated a few years back and I haven't seen UW opening their doors to more blind students, or other med schools rushing to follow suit. So to some extent he might have been a one time, PR move. I don't believe he's tried to match anywhere yet (according to articles I've seen he embarked on a lengthy PhD research path), so it remains to be seen whether any residency is willing to make the kind of accomodations his med school did.

I don't know why schools cant be accommodating in terms of clinical rotations, or whatever. Schools give accommodations and change standards for far less noble causes and for far less courageous people.

There are accomodations and then there are accomodations.

But when you are in med school and have to pay a higher tuition to cover various accomodation technology, as well as do double the scut load because your teammate is unable to, we will see if you still maintain that view. These accomodations are not costless, and the fellow students often bear the brunt. Moreso once the person gets to residency and folks find themselves on a team with a member who cannot take overnight call by themselves, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of someone overcoming odds and living out a dream. I just don't love the idea that I might be working harder and longer hours, and assuming bigger debt to make it happen for them.

Part of the problem I'm having is that folks on here are defining what it is to practice medicine based on what they want it to be. But practicing medicine absolutely involves performing a physical exam, including observation, palpation, percussion and auscultation. It involves walking rounds. It involves staying overnight alone in the wards as an intern, keeping your charges out of code. It involves running a code, compressing chests, masking and bagging a patient, putting in lines, chest tubes, etc. It doesn't just involve sitting back and thinking about patients and their problems, looking at study results. Sure this is part of it, but good doctoring also involves being facile with the "hands on" stuff. Which is why even the cushy specialties tend to require folks to do a prelim year in medicine or surgery. Because before you can specialize, you ought to be able to do the basics of doctoring.

Last edited:
Well, I'm a bit late to the party, but I can definitely understand the thoughts, concerns and feelings you're having. I applied in the 2008 cycle and was accepted late in 2007 to a couple of schools that really excited me. Then in January, with everything lined up and my plans all ready, I too suffered a spinal cord injury and am now tetraplegic. My injury level is C6-C7, however it is incomplete and I do have normal function in my hands, arms, and upper body. You're dealing with even more of a challenge than I, and I commend you tremendously for it. I will be attending medical school, however I have deferred at my chosen institution so that I can focus on rehab over the next year.

As far as schools go, I know Mount Sinai is very friendly to students with disabilities. That's where I went for inpatient rehab, and my attending was a member of the adcom. They recently graduated a tetraplegic who went into radiology, and the student was not the first at all to be graduated by Sinai in a wheelchair. Interestingly enough, Mount Sinai was also where the first paralyzed surgeon (Dr. Peter Galpin - he was injured in the late 70's, before he even finished his pre-reqs, and he went to Wayne State for medical school) did part of his surgical residency. Back in 88-90, before ADA. I would definitely include them on your list.

Also consider Stony Brook. I came across a student, Dr. Dimple Bhatt, who just graduated from there in 2007 with an MD/PhD. He was also in a wheelchair before medical school and he seemed to succeed quite well at Stony. I was accepted there and when I told them about my injury, they were willing to accommodate me in whatever ways were necessary. Ms. Agnetti there did not even skip a beat when I told her what had happened and made me feel welcome and wanted in the Stony community.

Stanford currently has a paralyzed student named Cheri Blauwet who is also a competitive wheelchair athlete. She was injured as a young child, long before medical school, and she intends to go into PM&R as well.

As for me, I've chosen to attend Case Western. When I called to discuss my situation and request a deferral, they very much supported my decision to defer and began to reach out to school deans and doctors at their hospitals to ensure I had the accommodations and clinical support that I need lined up before I head to Cleveland. They also offered to put me in touch with a recent student they graduated who was in a wheelchair from the start of medical school.

I include the people's names so you can Google them and read more about their stories. They are truly inspirational.

So the short answer for your list, from my prior research: Mount Sinai, Wayne State, Stony Brook, Stanford, Case Western.

Good luck in the process, and don't let go of that determination! :luck::luck: This is a long and arduous process for even able-bodied people. And I don't have to tell you that with limited-to-no hand function, you will have even more obstacles in front of you. But as those who've gone before us have shown, it's not impossible.

As someone in a similar situation (quad but due to CP, not SCI, limited mobility/balance, limited fine motor control in hands), it's going to be tough... Ironically, hand function or lack thereof will hurt a whole lot than the inability to walk (in looking at technical requirements, my poor motor function is MUCH more of a detriment/obstacle than my inability to walk). I agree with the above poster that about the historically accomodating schools; I'd also add Western (DO school) and Brown, as they graduated Mehri Brown, a CP quad (You can look up her email address--I emailed her, as we have much the same disability, and she was quite helpful)... Be very, very, very aware that this will be very hard, especially in regards to residencies, though it may not be so bad in the cases of the above poster, as you have normal hand function.

Ultimately, I've come to the conclusion med school is probably not a possibility for me due in large part to limited hand function (the only residency I can realistically see myself being able to complete is psych, which is what Dr. Brown [and all the blind doctors I've read about] went into...) I may think more seriously about med school (which for me would pretty much be "training to get into a psychiatry residency" school), but the odds seem pretty dim, given MY circumstances... but yours' (the both of you) are different, so....

I'm confused as to why you (the OP) think residencies, boards, etc., will just "have" to accomodate you. They won't. Technical and professional standards keep them from "having" to do so (and admittedly, I think they have a bit of point re: pt safety), and many won't. I'm not saying that to be a downer, but having spent my whole life with a disability, I can tell you that people will find many a reason to wriggle out of the ADA if at all possible.

My recommendation? Take a long, hard look at what residencies you could probably complete and then decide if you would really want to do *those*. You sound like an assume MS applicant, but also look down the line to residency apps, especially with limited/no hand function.

Good luck!!!!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
just work hard, do wat u can

I'm confused as to why you (the OP) think residencies, boards, etc., will just "have" to accomodate you. They won't. Technical and professional standards keep them from "having" to do so (and admittedly, I think they have a bit of point re: pt safety), and many won't. I'm not saying that to be a downer, but having spent my whole life with a disability, I can tell you that people will find many a reason to wriggle out of the ADA if at all possible.

My recommendation? Take a long, hard look at what residencies you could probably complete and then decide if you would really want to do *those*. You sound like an assume MS applicant, but also look down the line to residency apps, especially with limited/no hand function.

Good luck!!!!

I dont think they have to accomodate me. Even public med schools do not have to accomodate me. The ADA is relatively un-enforceable anyways. And when it comes to essential function, its inapplicable. Not sure where you got that idea.

The good thing about pm&r is that theyre all about empowering the disabled doctor. I mean even the ceo of kessler (from the previous link i attached) is the biggest advocate. So besides the internal med intern year, I'll be around ppl that dont look down on us as hinbdrances, So wqhile residency is an issue, its attainable and not that big a deal per the ppl who have gone thru it.

good luck to you with stuff---appreciate the perspective and I'm glad i posted on this issue. and ps...still engaged...just away from comp the last few days.

Good luck in the process, and don't let go of that determination! :luck::luck: This is a long and arduous process for even able-bodied people. And I don't have to tell you that with limited-to-no hand function, you will have even more obstacles in front of you. But as those who've gone before us have shown, it's not impossible.

wow...congrats and good luck to you in the upcoming year. and thx for posting as well. this is exactly the type of discussion (and ppl) i was hoping to engage.

This sounds perfect! but its not working right now. I think the whole ncsd.org site is down. will check back...

There are accomodations and then there are accomodations.

But when you are in med school and have to pay a higher tuition to cover various accomodation technology, as well as do double the scut load because your teammate is unable to, we will see if you still maintain that view. These accomodations are not costless, and the fellow students often bear the brunt. Moreso once the person gets to residency and folks find themselves on a team with a member who cannot take overnight call by themselves, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of someone overcoming odds and living out a dream. I just don't love the idea that I might be working harder and longer hours, and assuming bigger debt to make it happen for them.

Its helpful to hear the nuances like this to bring them up to the disabled drs. who have done it. and also, for instance, the usmle requirements from the other poster. these are things you wouldnt necessarily think of unless youve been thru it. so anything else you can think of would be great and i'll list them out and ask...i'm gonna start putting together a list "causes of concern"...would be a good analysis tool i think.

i talked to a c7 doc 2 days ago, he started the site disaboom.com. amazing guy. he said he conducts a better physical exam than most other docs in his med group. but his words were "you can do it and love it."

he did not seem to be too concerned for me asa far as tribulations. his only warning was that the 6-week surgical rotation allowed little sleep because it takes a quad like 3 hours to empty bowels and shower and get dressed so that allowed only 2 hrs sleep. he said to do the rotation in plastics to minimize this problem.

everyone realizes that i'm a para but have minimal hand function, right? i can pick things up with tenodesis, etc so my hands are good for most everyday things. still is a big deficit for medicine, however...

he said to do the rotation in plastics to minimize this problem.

I wouldn't count on that. In med school you generally don't get more than 2-3 weeks in a particular subspecialty, and you don't always get a choice as to what your subspecialties will be. And many med schools have a longer than 6 week surgery rotation BTW (10 and 12 weeks are not uncommon). At some places you might only get 1 week in a subspecialty like plastics, and spend the bulk of your time in something like general surgery or trauma. You likely won't get all plastics for 6 weeks because that limits the number of other students who get to be exposed to plastics; they usually can only integrate a couple of students at a time because there is finite room in the OR. And considering it is currently the most competitive residency, a lot of people hoping to go into this field are going to be insistent that they get this, and start making contacts etc. (I suspect the person who suggested plastics went to school at a time when it was less popular -- this has changed). It is also going to be regarded as kind of unfair for someone going into PM&R to try and be in plastics the whole time, at the expense of others who actually need it. Perhaps the one school this person is describing does (or did) things differently. But I would worry that he may be out of touch.

And there are parts of the surgery rotation where you will have overnight call and won't get any sleep for 30+ hours, unless you get some sort of special change. And then a lot more of this during the medicine residency year.

I am just wondering - how did you guys suffer such severe spinal cord injuries? What did you do? Bungee? Motorcycle? Base jumping? I just don't think that a few seconds of adrenalin rush is worth risking a life with severe disability for the next 50 or so years.

Accidents are different and we have no control over them, but when you are yourself asking for trouble, then you pay the price. If any of you guys are injured because of some foolish stunt, I hope you can give some sound advice to the rest of the dare devil wannabes, especially the ones preparing to go into thoracic surgery!

I wouldn't count on that. In med school you generally don't get more than 2-3 weeks in a particular subspecialty, and you don't always get a choice as to what your subspecialties will be. And many med schools have a longer than 6 week surgery rotation BTW (10 and 12 weeks are not uncommon). At some places you might only get 1 week in a subspecialty like plastics, and spend the bulk of your time in something like general surgery or trauma. You likely won't get all plastics for 6 weeks because that limits the number of other students who get to be exposed to plastics; they usually can only integrate a couple of students at a time because there is finite room in the OR. And considering it is currently the most competitive residency, a lot of people hoping to go into this field are going to be insistent that they get this, and start making contacts etc. (I suspect the person who suggested plastics went to school at a time when it was less popular -- this has changed). It is also going to be regarded as kind of unfair for someone going into PM&R to try and be in plastics the whole time, at the expense of others who actually need it. Perhaps the one school this person is describing does (or did) things differently. But I would worry that he may be out of touch.

And there are parts of the surgery rotation where you will have overnight call and won't get any sleep for 30+ hours, unless you get some sort of special change. And then a lot more of this during the medicine residency year.

he went to university of washington. he also got accepted to nevada and st. louis so i added those schools. he went through schooling some time ago, which is impressive since there was a lot more closemindedness, less technological advances, less subspecialization, etc.

theres newer doc than him that went thru clinical rotations that i can speak to but i'm not going to jump all over him like hes out of touch. he mentioned that only to tell me that theres times when i should think about getting attendant care. the state (voc rehab) pays for attendant care and they may even pay for my med school! and of course accomodations. my counselor for rehab also suggested that they may hire a nurse practioner to accompany me to do hands on things so that i'm not bothering other people. but i think this all requires i stay in-state (which i would not mind!)

i'm used to not getting sleep...4 months in the hospital where staff is constantly bothering you for something got me used to that! i just need to make sure i'm taking care of the nuances with my body now that ive been hurt. an attendant would be good for that.

I am just wondering - how did you guys suffer such severe spinal cord injuries? What did you do? Bungee? Motorcycle? Base jumping? I just don't think that a few seconds of adrenalin rush is worth risking a life with severe disability for the next 50 or so years.

Accidents are different and we have no control over them, but when you are yourself asking for trouble, then you pay the price. If any of you guys are injured because of some foolish stunt, I hope you can give some sound advice to the rest of the dare devil wannabes, especially the ones preparing to go into thoracic surgery!

this comment is off-putting. nobody EVER deserves a spinal cord injury. it happens so rarely while bungee jumping or on motorcycles. you could never ever call it expected. should we be walking around with suits made of bubblewrap. my pt drives a motorcycle to work and shes been married to a quad for 15 years.

my friend was driving and the car rolled over and my neck broke. car accidents are the number 1 cause of spinal cord injury.

Just curious, how much hand function do you have? Do you think you could do sutures, intubations, gyn stuff, etc.? What's the least amount of hand fx you've seen in a doc? It gives me some hope.:)

I'm curious as to why PMR would be so doable... When I looked at specialities/residencies, it seemed like it would be pretty prohibitative for people with quad disabilities due to the amount of manipulation, procedures, etc., required. Is this not the case?

Also, I wouldn't count on VR paying for medical school... I know my state is currently in a fight with VR to even get them to CONSIDER paying for masters degrees, much less med school! Additionally, I know most VRs have issues paying for out of state programs unless there is no public, in-state program available. So, unless you got into an in-state school or live in a stae without a med school, it seems unlikely.

Also, keep in mind, many, many schools don't allow third party assistance with tasks (re: the nurse practitioner thing).

Thanks for posting--it's always nice to see other physically disabled docs/doc hopefuls!

Just curious, how much hand function do you have? Do you think you could do sutures, intubations, gyn stuff, etc.? What's the least amount of hand fx you've seen in a doc? It gives me some hope.:)

I'm curious as to why PMR would be so doable... When I looked at specialities/residencies, it seemed like it would be pretty prohibitative for people with quad disabilities due to the amount of manipulation, procedures, etc., required. Is this not the case?

Also, I wouldn't count on VR paying for medical school... I know my state is currently in a fight with VR to even get them to CONSIDER paying for masters degrees, much less med school! Additionally, I know most VRs have issues paying for out of state programs unless there is no public, in-state program available. So, unless you got into an in-state school or live in a stae without a med school, it seems unlikely.

Also, keep in mind, many, many schools don't allow third party assistance with tasks (re: the nurse practitioner thing).

Thanks for posting--it's always nice to see other physically disabled docs/doc hopefuls!

sutures, no. the doc i talked to suture up a pig but thats the limit.

voc rehab is state-run. way diff from state-to-state. az seemed pretty open. they are currently paying for ppl to go to law school. why not med? my counselor is a powerful advocate. theyre mod-ing me a honda element.

no tpa for disabled students? that seems odd.

Would robotic surgery also be an avenue you could consider entering?

It still takes some pretty fine motor skills for robotic surgery. In addition, you have to be prepared for the worst case scenario. If the **** hits the fan then you have to go in there and open up.

This is actually one of the more interesting threads we've had in a while. (Kind of a side note) I kind of want you to fill us in in a couple of years as to what happens!

A school does get some notoriety and a different kind of teaching challenge. You may have the fortune of finding one who is up to the challenge of breaking new ground for themselves.

I agree wholeheartedly with this. Many schools will react negatively and cite their technical standards, but if you cast a wide net (and write a killer PS as I'm sure you can) you should get a reasonable number of interviews if only out of sheer curiosity. Schools are always looking for outside-the-box candidates, and you'd certainly be unique. A national story about training a quadriplegic doctor is worth a great deal more than the endowments it would solicit.

What about M.D./Ph.D? If you like research, this just might be the best.

Im not really posting because i have any good advice to offer but damn, you deserve props for not letting such a serious injury get in the way of your dreams

no tpa for disabled students? that seems odd.

It is, but I've seen it explicitedly stated in technical requirements.

What IS the minimal hand function required to be a doc? Anyone?

OP: all you can do is go for it. yes, you're likely to encounter resistance, but the only way you can know if a school will let you in is to apply. you seem like the type to not give up on things so easily, and i doubt that just letting go of this dream without even giving it a shot is going to happen.

i wish you well though. you seem extremely motivated and determined and i couldn't imagine facing what you're facing.

Thanks, ooch, I did hear about the woman at ucla. i havent gotten them explicitly state that they will take a quadriplegic but I am applying there. Too bad it's super competitive. That goes for UCSF as well.

The problem is that most schools won't address the issue until I've submitted application. So thanks for the help in providing any precedence you're aware.

This is likely because of issues with saying "No, we won't accept a quadriplegic" over the phone preemptively versus "We have filled our spots with slightly more qualified applicants" in a rejection letter.

If you can find a medical school that will accomodate you then you will find ways to overcome the other challenging obstacles that will come your way. If you choose PM&R my limited experience (so far) would say that you may be able to perform well with inpatient team management but would have difficulty with exams and procedures. You would likely do very well in diagnostic radiology, psych or other specialties with think > do such as oncology or infectious disease.

You could always use your MD to attain administrative positions or work with pharmaceutical companies, do research or even write books or edit journals.

I wish you the best of luck. I feel truly saddened by your story. I would ask this question in the PM&R forum where you may find more support and better advice from docs with more experience in SCI and your field-of-choice.

this comment is off-putting. nobody EVER deserves a spinal cord injury. it happens so rarely while bungee jumping or on motorcycles. you could never ever call it expected. should we be walking around with suits made of bubblewrap. my pt drives a motorcycle to work and shes been married to a quad for 15 years.

my friend was driving and the car rolled over and my neck broke. car accidents are the number 1 cause of spinal cord injury.

This was what I assumed, so don't think that everyone expects a "Well, I was skydiving..." story. Cars are dangerous things, I wish people would recognize that serious injures do not require incredible circumstances.

I would think that the whole situation would make for a very compelling personal statement, but there is something to keep in mind here.

Medical schools are NOT looking to take students that would cost them extra money, special planning, or anything like that just to make a name for themselves, so asking which of the medical schools happens to be friendly towards the handicapped among all of the meany-poo medical schools that hate handicapped people is a little unfair. It's not about what medical school can do for YOU, it's about whether or not you are actually qualified to practice medicine according to that school's standards.

Honestly, this disability is no more or less an obstacle than an applicant with a low GPA would have. As an applicant with a disability and an obvious disadvantage over other students, you would have to prove to any medical school that not only will your disability NOT prevent you from succeeding in medical school, but you can actually work to overcome it in a certain aspect that can make you a stronger applicant than the other thousand people you're competing against for a slot. There IS a way that all of those 2.5 GPA applicants get in, somehow, you know, and it's not always just because daddy plays golf with the dean.

Any school can possibly take you if you can provide a compelling reason why you are a stronger candidate than those who can both walk and manipulate objects in their hands naturally. The problem does NOT come from the medical school itself, but whether or not you can actually provide that reason.

DO schools, or possibly international school might be the best option, because frankly, while yes, it's been done, there has to be a VERY good reason to accept someone with, dare I say, that bad of a disadvantage to a medical school, and more so than, "Well, we did it for this one guy... once...". You don't want to be the guy that's trying to guilt medical school into accepting you simply because you're in a wheelchair.

I am certainly not saying that you should give up on medical school. But I am saying that "What schools accept wheelchaired applicants" is the WRONGO question. Instead, you should be focusing your efforts on answering, "What about me makes me a better applicant than everyone else DESPITE my handicapped status?". If you answer that, then it really doesn't matter who has taken wheelchair applicants in the past, or who hasn't. All that matters is that you are then either a strong applicant, or you're not.

Walderness, thank you for sharing your story with us. I cannot imagine what your life has been like since the coma, but I think that it is admirable you are working so hard to achieve your goals despite your disability. I hope you never give up on it and that you experience more healing in the years to come.

I wanted to share this story for inspiration in case you hadn't read it (another poster mentioned it). A blind medical student graduated from the University of Wisconsin-Madison in 2005. The school made significant accomodations for him, perhaps they would be willing to work with you as well.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7318398

Good luck. :)

... :thumbup: this story gave me chills... i can't even imagine. best of luck to the OP - I admire your determination and passion.

Most schools do not except quadriplegics into their M.D. program due to technical standards that require that fine motor skills are intact.

I am a perfect candidate except the fact that I am a quadriplegic (I'm allowed some immodesty due to the fact that I'm in a wheelchair).

Albert Einstein is the only school I know that does not hold applicants to the standard.

But I need to know pronto of many other schools that may be lax in this respect. I've been in contact with AMCAS and other resources but ended up with little guidance.

Help! I want to send in my application as quickly as possible. Thank you in advance.

I am so so sorry for your injury. It is very scary because it could at any time be any one of us. I think everyone is unique and can contribute something special to medicine (if they have the intellectual capacity which you have shown you do). Maybe one day you could do research in the field of spinal injuries. Also, what about psychiatry? I think that would be the perfect field for someone has very limited function. good luck:luck:

Wouldn't DO schools actually be more of a challenge because of OMM?

I'm not really any more excited about how this questions was framed than the OP. You shouldn't assume that somebody is injured because they were doing something crazy and risking their life for "a few seconds of adrenaline rush." Of all the patients I met in rehab, only two were due to the type of injury you assume. There were gunshot victims, car accidents, spinal stenoses, and quite a number of paralyses due to secondary complications from surgery or anaesthesia. You shouldn't be so quick to assume.

I was at home on a Sunday evening after working remotely all day. It was late at night, I was tired, I stood up quickly and I tripped and fell in just such a way that my neck, and all of my 6' 4" body weight, landed right on the edge of a very hard, glass coffee table. I subluxed C7 and it re-entered the spinal column above C6. It's a miracle I'm still alive today.

Think my story sounds incredibly rare and nearly impossible? So did I. Until I met a middle-aged man in the hospital with the exact same mechanism of injury.

I was at home on a Sunday evening after working remotely all day. It was late at night, I was tired, I stood up quickly and I tripped and fell in just such a way that my neck, and all of my 6' 4" body weight, landed right on the edge of a very hard, glass coffee table. I subluxed C7 and it re-entered the spinal column above C6. It's a miracle I'm still alive today.

Think my story sounds incredibly rare and nearly impossible? So did I. Until I met a middle-aged man in the hospital with the exact same mechanism of injury.

one guy in rehab was walking backwards and tripped...most boring story ever.

i often tell ppl i was skydiving and hit the ground at 120mph. especially after ive told the story for the 10th time that day. plus, it makes me seem dangerous and thats how i get the babes to come for a ride in my wheelchair...

Part of the problem I'm having is that folks on here are defining what it is to practice medicine based on what they want it to be. But practicing medicine absolutely involves performing a physical exam, including observation, palpation, percussion and auscultation. It involves walking rounds. It involves staying overnight alone in the wards as an intern, keeping your charges out of code. It involves running a code, compressing chests, masking and bagging a patient, putting in lines, chest tubes, etc. It doesn't just involve sitting back and thinking about patients and their problems, looking at study results. Sure this is part of it, but good doctoring also involves being facile with the "hands on" stuff. Which is why even the cushy specialties tend to require folks to do a prelim year in medicine or surgery. Because before you can specialize, you ought to be able to do the basics of doctoring.

Whoa....just read this!

Part of the problem is that people assume the path to physicianship is somehow set like a law of nature. Curriculum, boards, residencies, all were developed by people, not God.

I have the capacity to perform a phys exam. I can't walk rounds but I can push a wheelchair (was that "walking" jab suppost to be hurtful, cause it wasn't I assure you!). I can write in charts (after much practice) and use stickers--my hands are pretty nimble for most tasks, just not when a patient's well-being is in question. I cant put in chest tubes but find me a practicing pm&r who has done that as part of his practice.

[/quote]Because before you can specialize, you ought to be able to do the basics of doctoring.[/quote]

What constitutes basics of doctoring? You think putting in a chest tube is a basic of doctoring? Sounds like such an old-fashioned perspective. Certainly knowing the procedure and reasoning behind these tasks are important but doing them is not. Of the 10-15 physiatrists I've talked to regarding these issues, not one has said that since I cant thread an iv or suture, i need to steer clear of the profession all together.

I can tell youre a follow-the-rules type of person but I'm not! And its been done successfully. For instance, if ive met people who have travelled to outer space and ive seen pictures of it, i would have trouble listening to someone telling me that going to outer space is impossible. i'm not forging any trails here!

How can you get through med school without being able to do tubing, sutures, etc.? All the technical requirements I've seen seem to say that you can't get through med school if you can't.. How have physicians you've talked to dealt with this, assuming they were disabled during med school? I'm in much the same boat, so I'm REALLY, REALLY interested in this!

Thanks!

Law2Doc, your negativity is incredibly irritating. Every alternative he suggests, you somehow find a way to slam the door shut. He's not the first to do it and he won't be the last.

How can you get through med school without being able to do tubing, sutures, etc.? All the technical requirements I've seen seem to say that you can't get through med school if you can't.. How have physicians you've talked to dealt with this, assuming they were disabled during med school? I'm in much the same boat, so I'm REALLY, REALLY interested in this!

Thanks!

check out ucla, albert einstein, u-dub, u of wi, pitt, tech standards. also, check out http://www.aamc.org/newsroom/reporter/feb06/viewpoint.htm

I contacted dr. delisa and i'm now working with 1 of his colleagues at barrows. hes a very strong advocate.

check out posts from ppl on this thread, theyve had great ideas and links as well!

the tech standards provide an out "with accomodations." you can certainly describe how to do a procedure or do it on something dead to show competency, but you could not enter a field where its a necessity of course.

people on here have been focused on the negatives but theres so many positives as well. especially from the perspective of the pt. i want to do ip sci/abi and i know thats totally doable.

Law2Doc, your negativity is incredibly irritating. Every alternative he suggests, you somehow find a way to slam the door shut. He's not the first to do it and he won't be the last.

for real! thanks

I don't have any answers for you, but I know my school graduated someone who became a C7 quadraplegic during his third year. He's a PM&R doc now in Charlotte at the hospital where he did his rehab. He came to talk to my class this year and his story was very inspiring. It put all the whining and complaning I do in perspective. I can't remember his name right now, but I'll find out and send you a PM.

Good luck!

I don't have any answers for you, but I know my school graduated someone who became a C7 quadraplegic during his third year. He's a PM&R doc now in Charlotte at the hospital where he did his rehab. He came to talk to my class this year and his story was very inspiring. It put all the whining and complaning I do in perspective. I can't remember his name right now, but I'll find out and send you a PM.

Good luck!

i've been talking to jesse...hes a c5!

he also just had twins!

one of the most compassionate ppl i8ve ever talked to.

His take on it is pretty much irrelevant because it's not his call. All the OP needs is to find one medical school and one residency program to take him on.

His take on it is pretty much irrelevant because it's not his call. All the OP needs is to find one medical school and one residency program to take him on.

Agreed. The OP was asking for advice about which schools would be willing to accommodate him, not on all the reasons why he can't do this.

Walderness, I hope you find the right school for you and I wish you much success! :luck:

Agreed. The OP was asking for advice about which schools would be willing to accommodate him, not on all the reasons why he can't do this.

Walderness, I hope you find the right school for you and I wish you much success! :luck:

thanks again, will u tell ucla your thoughts. id like to go there real bad.

i've been talking to jesse...hes a c5!

he also just had twins!

one of the most compassionate ppl i8ve ever talked to.

When I was typing my post I put C5 at first, but thought that might be too high. I knew that he was in a similar situation as yours, though. But anyway, since you've talked to him, you know that it's completely possible to finish med school as a quadraplegic. The only difference between you and Jesse is that he was already in school when he had his accident and you'll be coming in with your injury, but still, don't let that deter you.

When I was typing my post I put C5 at first, but thought that might be too high. I knew that he was in a similar situation as yours, though. But anyway, since you've talked to him, you know that it's completely possible to finish med school as a quadraplegic. The only difference between you and Jesse is that he was already in school when he had his accident and you'll be coming in with your injury, but still, don't let that deter you.

wake forest has been very discouraging. jesse is looking into it for me...he seemed very upset about it.