Question about engagement rings.

rjhtamu

Stargazer Royale
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
We're still quite a ways away from making this step (if things continue to go as great as they are). But I have an honest question about the gemstone. Most websites out there say get a diamond, get a diamond, get a diamond. But I know that my girl is slightly old fashioned. Her favorite period is the 40s. Her favorite color is also green, and I was thinking that she might like an emerald gemstone ring. Back in the 40s, gemstones were the stone of choice until De Beers started their "Diamonds Are Forever" marketing campaign.

Diamonds have pretty much become customary for engagement stones to the point that I think if I get her an emerald, she won't be as happy, and other people will look at it questionly as in, "Why didn't he chalk up for a diamond?"
Which is kind of ironic since emeralds are actually more rare than diamonds.

I know the right course of action would be just to have this discussion with her to see what she would actually like or prefer. But that does kind of ruin any elements of surprise, not to mention I'd probably get the, "Oh I don't need anything fancy" speech. What do you all think?

Members don't see this ad.

what about a diamond in the center with an emerald on both sides? you still get the diamond but make the ring very unique to her. I bet if you went into a jewelry store which makes custom engagement rings they would be able to give you some suggestions. dtreese just had one made for his fiance, he might be able to help.

or you might be able to incorporate some emeralds into her wedding band or just buy her a nice piece of emerald jewelry for a special occasion (bday, anniversary, etc)

I didn't have one made. It was in the store's stock, but it happened to fit the stone I had perfectly.

Here it is, if you'd like an idea of what a diamond in a 1920s/30s style ring looks like:

http://gryphon.i8.com/photo5.html

As I looked around at rings, that style became my favorite, which is good, because that's her favorite, too. Try finding a subtle way to find out what she likes.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're still quite a ways from making this step, then finding out how she feels about diamonds vs. emeralds won't ruin the surprise. I'd wait until a DeBeers commercial comes on and then casually mention it in a roundabout way.

Although diamonds are still the most popular choice for engagement rings by far, non-diamond engagement rings have at least grown in popularity to the point where they really aren't considered that weird anymore, I think. If you go on one of the major wedding chatboards like theknot.com and ask about non-diamond rings you'll get lots of people eager to tell you about theirs. However, the DeBeers campaign is so ingrained in the culture at this point that I wouldn't get someone a non-diamond engagement ring without somehow clearing the idea with her first.

One final note, it's my understanding that emeralds markedly "softer" and more prone to damage than rubies and sapphires, and aren't really recommended for the kind of everyday wear an engagement ring usually gets. I think I've only gotten that information through hearsay, but it's something I'd research before deciding on an emerald for an engagement ring--maybe you'd want a more protected setting or a different stone.

Good luck!

::Seabass:: said:
what about a diamond in the center with an emerald on both sides? you still get the diamond but make the ring very unique to her. I bet if you went into a jewelry store which makes custom engagement rings they would be able to give you some suggestions. dtreese just had one made for his fiance, he might be able to help.

or you might be able to incorporate some emeralds into her wedding band or just buy her a nice piece of emerald jewelry for a special occasion (bday, anniversary, etc)

Or an emerald set with diamonds around it?

Rule #1 - Hands down - Diamonds really are a girl's best friend
Rule #2 - A diamond ring (like dt's) is something you only give once (hopefully) and they are classic and timeless. A gemstone is not.
Rule #3 - The meaning of a diamond ring is clear.
Rule #4 - It could be a cigar band when you make that special proposal to her. But after that, everyone will want to have a look - and judge.

You can always get her an emerald pendant/earring set.

If a guy sees a gemstone on that finger he's likely to guess it's a birthstone. So you have to ask yourself......

Best of luck.

Practically speaking, emeralds are not as durable as diamonds. They scratch REALLY easily and you have to baby them to keep them in good shape. If your gift needs to last though a lifetime of everyday use, keep that in mind.

I'm a diamond hater wearing a diamond. I always thought they looked boring like glass. How did I get around it? I picked out a good quality diamond and had it put in a setting that I liked. Of course, since I picked it out, I didn't get it when my husband proposed. If you consider "I guess if we are going to get married we should do it this summer" to be a marriage proposal. :laugh:

You could always buy the setting for your proposal and tell her she can pick the stone. Or, maybe you could get her emeralds for your anniversary. My dad used to get my mom opals. He would add something new to the set every year at Christmas.

Another quick note about diamonds:

1. The cut and quality of the diamond really make a huge difference. The one in the link I posted is a round cut, nearly flawless diamond. It was very difficult to get a halfway decent photo of the ring because the stone is so brilliant. Pro companies have to use expensive setups to reduce glare in order to get good pics. My advice is to shop around before making any decisions about what you want to buy, and it's really a good idea to find out what she likes. After all, she's the one who lives with it.

bananaface said:
Of course, since I picked it out, I didn't get it when my husband proposed. If you consider "I guess if we are going to get married we should do it this summer" to be a marriage proposal. :laugh:

Wow. Swave and deboner, too.

Thanks for the advice guys, and gals, ;)

I'm not claiming to be an expert, but I did work in a very nice jewelry store for a year and a half, so here's my qualified two cents...
Whenever a guy wasreally unsure what kind of ring to buy, I always suggested buying a nice diamond solitaire in a simple tiffany setting... when you propose, let her know that ring is symbolic - that you want her to pick out what she wants with you later (of course, this only works if you can exchange the ring - our store had no problem with that).
As far as a gemstone vs. a diamond, it really depends on the girl. Lots of younger women are opting for something more unique, such as colored stones. The best way to get her opinion is to take her looking at rings - she'll know you are thinking about proposing, but no proposal should be a complete suprise...you should have talked about getting married at some point before you pop the big question.
All that being said, earlier posters are correct about emeralds being softer than other stones. They will crack and scratch easier (never clean them in an ultrasonic machine, btw). Most good (mid-to-highend) jewelry chain stores have some sort of guarantee on their stones, where if you bring the piece in to be inspected 2x a year, they will cover it if a stone is lost or damaged. But even so, I'd be careful about choosing an emerald ring for everyday wear.
Hope that wasn't too much info, but helping with engagement rings used to be my favorite part of the job :)

I think that you should first know how your gf feels about diamonds. There are many many girls out that are completely against everything the diamond market stands for.

Anyway, I am not one of those girls. Yet I think that an emerald engagement ring is perfectly fine. In fact an old friend's mom has an emerald e-ring and she has worn it everyday for the last 30 years. It has never chipped, scratched, etc. I myself was thinking of telling my BF that I don't necessarily want a diamond. Honestly I would love a pearl and those are even softer than emeralds.

That said, if you're set on a diamond, what about a green diamond? Here's a pic of one:
10--GREEN-DIAMOND.jpg

And this is a link for a green asscher cut from the IceStore.com:
http://www.icestore.com/jewelry/fancy_diamond_jewelry_detail.asp?ID=153
And another link for their loose green diamonds:
http://www.icestore.com/search/fancy_green_diamonds.asp

Just a note about buying engagement rings. Please don't buy a ring your finace' could get her hand chopped off for. I rarely wear my ring because I don't want to become a crime victum in the process. Sometimes, less really is more. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
You could bring someone with you when you go shopping for her ring. Does she have a best freind/close freind? Such a person could help you out. My husband brought my best freind with him when he purchased my ring. You could bring her mother with you also, or some other close family member.

Buy her something that she will treasure. Don't worry about the crap that others will think (i.e. ooohh- he is soooo cheap. he wouldn't even splurge for a diamond :rolleyes: ). Not trying to flame here either, but don't buy something for the sake of worrying about their "hand getting chopped off". I'm sure she will know when and when not to wear her rings.

One more thing- whatever you do, make sure you insure that ring! I lost my first engagement ring (....and wedding band.... :scared: ). My husband replaced them, but thankfully he didn't have to dig too deep into his pockets since the insurance company reimbursed us for the loss.

I would have loved an emerald engagement ring. If that's what she would like, do it.

Whatever kind of stone you buy, DON'T spend too much money on it. We spent WAY too much money on my engagement ring, and while I still love the ring, I really wished we had some of that money back when it came time to buy a house. Don't feel pressured to spend a whole ton of money.

daisygirl said:
Not trying to flame here either, but don't buy something for the sake of worrying about their "hand getting chopped off". I'm sure she will know when and when not to wear her rings.

Why point fingers? I work with chemicals like Xylene all day and although I wear gloves, a research lab just doesn't seem a fitting place for a 5 carat ring EVERYDAY. Unless of course a person wants to show off. :rolleyes:

I'm personally much happier with my platinum engagement band which was all I needed in the first place.

So my point is that when there is true love, a 500$ ring will definitely do! ;) :thumbup:

If you do end up getting a diamond, I suggest you go to pricescope.com before you buy anything and read through their tutorial. The carat, color, and clarity and much less important than the cut of the diamond. The crown and pavillion angles are important as well as knowing the depth and table, whether there's a culet, etc. Use their cut adviser and don't buy unless you get a score of under 2.0! Also, you should only go for an AGS or GIA certified diamond. Others (IGI, EGL) are what you'd normally find at mall stores and such certifications have a discount associated with them.

You could incorporate emeralds as baguettes or pears on each side, or you can use them in a pave setting in the wending band.

GrandPa! said:
Rule #1 - Hands down - Diamonds really are a girl's best friend
Rule #2 - A diamond ring (like dt's) is something you only give once (hopefully) and they are classic and timeless. A gemstone is not.
Rule #3 - The meaning of a diamond ring is clear.
Rule #4 - It could be a cigar band when you make that special proposal to her. But after that, everyone will want to have a look - and judge.

You can always get her an emerald pendant/earring set.

If a guy sees a gemstone on that finger he's likely to guess it's a birthstone. So you have to ask yourself......

Best of luck.

not for everyone. i don't want a diamond. i want a simple platinum or white gold band. no diamond. i'd rather take that $ and spend it on a trip or something for the house.

in the end, it's what YOUR partner wants - not what the rest of the world wants you to believe.

bananaface said:
If you consider "I guess if we are going to get married we should do it this summer" to be a marriage proposal. :laugh:

And then there?s this:

"We shouldn?t be arguing about baby names if we?re not even engaged."

"Well, why don?t we get engaged?"

Two comments:

1) My engagement ring is a sapphire, and I love it. My fiance gave me a pair of 2-carat tw earrings in the fall of 2000, and when we got engaged in 2002, we had one of the sapphires set into a ring. We also took a pair of diamonds he'd given me as earrings in 1999 and had them set as the sidestones. I love my ring, and I love the history and the story that goes with it for me. Even though I get asked if it's just another ring occassionally, I'd rather wear something that has special meaning for us.

2) As for unromantic proposals: it went something like this. "Hey Jordan, I was thinking that when we get engaged, we could set those earrings into a ring." "Okay, Xandie, let's do that." "When are we going to get engaged?" "How about right now. Let's do it." Romantic, huh?

Xandie said:
2) As for unromantic proposals: it went something like this. "Hey Jordan, I was thinking that when we get engaged, we could set those earrings into a ring." "Okay, Xandie, let's do that." "When are we going to get engaged?" "How about right now. Let's do it." Romantic, huh?

I'm still waiting to be asked officially! :rolleyes: :laugh:

What is the average age here

Age now: 21
Age when I got engaged: 19

Xandie said:
Two comments:

1) My engagement ring is a sapphire, and I love it. My fiance gave me a pair of 2-carat tw earrings in the fall of 2000, and when we got engaged in 2002, we had one of the sapphires set into a ring. We also took a pair of diamonds he'd given me as earrings in 1999 and had them set as the sidestones. I love my ring, and I love the history and the story that goes with it for me. Even though I get asked if it's just another ring occassionally, I'd rather wear something that has special meaning for us.

You know, sometimes it's the simplest gestures that end up being more memorable. I know some guys get really creative with proposals, but some can really border on being cheesily overdone. You have a nice story. :)

rjhtamu said:
You know, sometimes it's the simplest gestures that end up being more memorable. I know some guys get really created with proposals, but some can really border on being cheesily overdone. You have a nice story. :)

Aww, thank you!! My fiance and I are getting married in eight days (holy bananas) and he'll be happy to hear that, after all my wedding craziness.

The proposal was actually very apropo for the two of us... we're very much random and spontaneous.

Very cool, best wishes on the upcoming wedding. :)

Just some comments...

First, pretty green diamonds are out of the question for most mere mortals. Emerald-colored diamonds cost a pretty penny, and the affordable green diamonds are generally either olive or ecto-cooler in color. Ick.

Second, you should think about what sort of person your girl is. Myself, I want to not only be surprised with what my BF picks for me, but I also know that whatever ring he gives me, will be the ring I wear for life. This is because I am old-fashioned and sentimental with regards to this proposal business.

That said, I have given him many ideas about what I like and don't like, and we have similar tastes, so I feel safe letting him totally surprise me an pick it out: I know he won't get me something ugly.

Do you and your GF have similar tastes? Is she very sentimental to the point where she wants to be surprised or would not consider exchanging the ring? If so, make sure that what you purchase is something she will love. Better to sacrifice some of the surprise element here for the safety of a good pick that she won't be disappointd with. However, if your girl is not opposed to changing or exchanging the ring if she doesn't like it, then just take your best guess and pick one out without asking her for opinions at all. Bring her friend/sister/mother with you to make sure her tastes are represented.

I would recommend a colorless center diamond with emeralds on the side- to incorporate classic engagement ring diamond with her tastes. But like I already said, I am old-fashioned. I want a diamond for my engagement ring :) not another kind of stone.

If you are politically concerned with the diamond trade (as my BF and I are), you can get diamonds that are certified blood-free; that is, they are guaranteed to have been mined under humane conditions. They do cost quite a bit more than the average diamond. There is also a new process of synthesizing diamonds in a chamber; they are REAL diamonds but are made in a lab, not underground. They don't offer whites yet, but they will in 2005, and they currently offer blue, pink, and yellow diamonds at a fraction of the price of natural colored stones. I believe in 100 years, most of our diamonds will be synthetic- like the pearl industry. The beauty and structure is the same; the blood work is eliminated. Perfect! If you are interested in reading about these synthetic diamonds, goto www.takaradiamonds.com. Again, whites will be available in 2005 at the earliest--- I don't know what your timeframe is for proposing.

Good luck!

Why would it be difficult to insure an emerald ring? You can insure any piece of jewelry as far as I know. The insurance company will simply appraise the piece and insure it for that much.

To answer the age question, I am 26. I can tell you that when I was 21 I wanted a diamond (IF, D, ~1 ct). Now that I am older, I have other priorities in life and, personally, I want a house right now. Therefore I would take either a smaller diamond (bc I cannot justify spending $15k+ on a stone) or even a non-diamond... it doesn't matter anymore... it's the meaning behind the promise (with or without a ring as a token) that counts. This sounds cliche' but it's just the plain old simple truth. Also, we live in Italy right now and diamond e-rings are not the norm here. Many women don't even get e-rings here much less a diamond solitaire. In addition to that, diamond solitaires do not necessarily signify an engagement (bf gave me one for my graduation from grad school for instance). :shrug:

Xandie - Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!

I like the idea of not using blood-diamonds... from what I've read about the diamond trade in Sierra Leone, it's not a pretty picture.

tlew12778 said:
To answer the age question, I am 26. I can tell you that when I was 21 I wanted a diamond (IF, D, ~1 ct).

Wow, those were some high standards for a diamond.

rjhtamu said:
Wow, those were some high standards for a diamond.

It is possible to get a very pretty one carat diamond for ~$6000 if you are willing to go down in color and clarity. Cut shouldn't be sacrificed because the diamond will be "dead" without a good cut. The poster who wrote about getting a D/IF diamond said that she now doesn't want a diamond because she doesnt' want to spend $15000 on a rock, which is certainly a valid sentiment, but I wanted to point out that you can get pretty diamonds for much less, and no one will be the wiser with regards to whether it is a perfect clarity or color.

Yeah I know, I'm aware of all that. Just pointing out that those standards would be a little out of my range for the time right now. ;) Maybe in about 20 years once all my debts are paid off.

tlew12778 said:
Why would it be difficult to insure an emerald ring? You can insure any piece of jewelry as far as I know. The insurance company will simply appraise the piece and insure it for that much.

Because they are prone to damage and loss. The cost of insurance is directly related to the likelihood of loss. General homeowners insurance doesn't cover jewelry for wear and tear or loss, you need a floater for that. The price of the floater depends on the item insured (its value and the odds that something will happed to it). I would check with an insurance company to be safe. I could be full of nonsense, but I do recall reading/hearing that emeralds were harder to insure.

Ed

edmadison said:
Because they are prone to damage and loss. The cost of insurance is directly related to the likelihood of loss. General homeowners insurance doesn't cover jewelry for wear and tear or loss, you need a floater for that. The price of the floater depends on the item insured (its value and the odds that something will happed to it). I would check with an insurance company to be safe. I could be full of nonsense, but I do recall reading/hearing that emeralds were harder to insure.

Ed

Well yes, that's true but I think that is all taken into consideration during the appraisal. My gut feeling is that a insurance company will take your money so long as you want to pay for the coverage. They can add in all sorts of clauses as to what the policy does and does not cover, but it's up to you if you want to pay for it. It's a bit like a driver who drives around an old junker but buys collision insurance even though it's not required and will probably cost him more than any possible damages he might do to the car.

Anyway, as for what I said about the D/IF thing... like I said, I was 21 and in NYC, spending $15k on a diamond is probably the norm. Granted there are many who want 2CT+ and spend the same but compromise on the other 3Cs. It's really just a question of personal taste I think.

Back to the original post, I don't think it would lessen the surprise of an engagement if you ask your GF what she likes and does not like in ring styles. BF and I look at rings all the time and we each say what we like and don't like about certain styles. If anything, I think it just heightens the excitement and it's nice knowing that you are taking her tastes into consideration.

stinkycheese said:
It is possible to get a very pretty one carat diamond for ~$6000 if you are willing to go down in color and clarity. Cut shouldn't be sacrificed because the diamond will be "dead" without a good cut.
Ok, I still think $6000 is way too much to spend on a ring. It's just a ring. Sure it has a bunch of symbolic meaning, but so does, for example, making a down payment on a house.

Anyway.....my engagement ring is a sapphire and I absolutely love it. I did NOT want a diamond and I made sure he knew that. I told him I wanted a pear-cut sapphire on a white gold band and to take along my sister or my friend to help him with the design. I ended up with a custom ring that fit my specifications but was still a surprise to me. Now, as for wearing it forever, I actually rarely wear it at this point. I knew beforehand that this would be the case. I just find that having a rock sticking out from my hand tends to get in the way when I'm taking care of patients, putting on gloves, etc. So I just wear my wedding band every day. For special occasions, I wear my engagement ring. Also, because it's custom, it's an odd shape so it doesn't actually fit with the band, so I wear it on my right hand when I do wear it. I like just wearing the wedding band, since that's exactly what my husband wears (same style and everything), plus it doesn't stick out so I'm less likely to hit it against things. Also, we ended up getting bands that are white gold and titanium, the titanium is what sticks out the farthest which is good because it's much stronger therefore doesn't look beat-up. My husband is a medic so his ring gets a lot of abuse out in the field, which is why we thought it important.

Diamonds are hardly the requirement for engagement rings. Actually, one of my friends had an engagement ring that was alternating diamonds and emeralds that were channel-set, which protects the more "fragile" emeralds. It's gorgeous. And it doesn't get caught on things. Just as another example of a non-diamond engagement ring, my mother's was a ruby heart which I think is very romantic.

gwyn779 said:
Ok, I still think $6000 is way too much to spend on a ring. It's just a ring. Sure it has a bunch of symbolic meaning, but so does, for example, making a down payment on a house.

There will always be people who feel differently about these things. Good for you for not spending an assload on your ring. For me, I know it is something that will become a family heirloom and will last lifetimes, and in that way, the expense doesn't seem as great, although I wouldn't want my BF to spend $15K on a ring as another poster said was the norm in NYC (maybe for Manhattan-not Brooklyn! :D ) I definitely do want a diamond because it is my birthstone and it is the only time I will probably ever be able to own one in my life. :)

I have an engagement ring that is a color change sapphire (blue/green/gold) in the center and two white sapphires on the sides. It's gorgeous, and MUCH cheaper than diamonds. Most people don't know that sapphires come in every color except red (then, they are called rubies!). They are almost as durable as diamonds (and stronger than emeralds). Plus, green isn't a "desired" color like blue, so they are cheaper. Not every girl wants a diamond. I don't, and my birthstone IS diamond! Plus, diamonds are so common! Almost everyone has one. How many people have a color change sapphire? I'm probably the only one...

Honestly, what my husband did for me was buy a "zippy back up" ring for me to wear in the lab (I'm MD/PhD) that was cheap and he "suprised" me with that. Then we both went and designed the sapphire ring together. I'd suggest that!

Oh, I'm 30, he's 32. We were 27/29 when engaged.

Also, as poor students (he's a PhD student), $6000 was TOTALLY out of the question. Two months salary my left buttcheek! That is 5 months of a grad student stipend! The ring we designed (and I adore) is platinum, completely custom designed from the ground up, and almost two total carats: total cost was $1500.

Ok, I have a question. My bf and I went ring shopping not long ago, and I decided I wanted a sapphire/diamond ring. (Sapphire with diamonds set around it.) My big question is, do any guys out there have engagement rings? We both wanted to get rings to symbolize that we are both engaged. I'm wondering how unusual that would be (not that I really care, but my bf is worried about having to explain his ring to everyone.)

By the way, I think it's definitely worth it to talk to the girl first. If my bf had bought me a ring without checking with me on what I wanted, I would have felt like I had to keep it even if I didn't like it. Which would just suck if the ring cost a lot of money.

Some friends of mine both wore rings before they were married, but I don't know how he explained it. A couple of ideas:

-he could wear a ring on his right ring finger, instead of the left
-he could get a ring made out of something other than silver/gold (iron ore, jade, etc) and then people wouldn't assume that it's a wedding ring

I bought my husband an engagement watch... people didn't necessarily know he was engaged just by looking at him, but I was still able to give him something that symbolized our commitment.

Here's my favorite site for rings: www.raru.com

We acually found out about it from a bartender at a cool Philadelphia pub (Eulogy I think). They make unique engagement rings and bands, celtic style and just cool style and they aren't ridiculously priced. If you're not looking for something traditional, check it out.

I'm probably going to go visit them in the next few months to finalize my decision for my sweetheart. That is, if I don't drive her away with my neuroticism first :)

I know some guys like to wear rings from James Avery that symbolize an engagement or other kind of commitment.

james avery isn't national though... only people around Texas will know what you mean.

James Avery is a well known (in Tx at least) silversmith who does gorgeous work. He does a lot of religious and wedding jewelry as well. no diamonds or gems though just plain silver and gold stuff.

i got engaged in november...i told my fiance months ahead of time, in case he ever wants to propose, that i like my birthstone and i like 3 stones...

he did a good job...my birthstone is diamond :rolleyes: and its a 3-stone ring on a platinum band...i think its beautiful...also, the band on the ring is somewhat striated, not plain....its unique

as for our wedding bands, he's getting a white gold plan-as-possible band and im getting a platinum w/diamonds unity band

just ask her what she likes ahead of time and then surprise her...my fiance totally caught me offguard while i was studying....he just pulled out this paper, where i guess he kind of wrote a speech, and just started reading...i was like "oh my god" etc etc...it was very sweet...not overally romantic (which wouldnt have been bad either) but def some thought was put into it

then i called everyone and told them....

numberthree514 said:
Ok, I have a question. My bf and I went ring shopping not long ago, and I decided I wanted a sapphire/diamond ring. (Sapphire with diamonds set around it.) My big question is, do any guys out there have engagement rings? We both wanted to get rings to symbolize that we are both engaged. I'm wondering how unusual that would be (not that I really care, but my bf is worried about having to explain his ring to everyone.).

I gave my now husband a ring. How wore it on his left hand. Neither of us really cared whether people knew if we were married or "just engaged". He really liked it and had mentioned several times previously how HE wanted a ring, too. Didn't want the girl to have "all the fun." I've heard of other guys having rings as well. And this is in conservative Texas. Not that strange here.

GeneGoddess-
Im curious because I like the idea - so, if you dont mind me asking, what kind of ring was his "engagement" ring? Did you get him a new ring for the "wedding" ring, or did he keep the same one?

numberthree514 said:
My big question is, do any guys out there have engagement rings? We both wanted to get rings to symbolize that we are both engaged.
My fiance' wears an engagement band exactly like mine.

UfShutterbabe said:
GeneGoddess-
Im curious because I like the idea - so, if you dont mind me asking, what kind of ring was his "engagement" ring? Did you get him a new ring for the "wedding" ring, or did he keep the same one?

I gave him a very nice celtic carved band in either silver or white gold (don't remember which). It wasn't "meant" to be an engagement ring, more of a replacement for an old ring he had broken. It just happened to be given as an XMas gift on the same day he proposed. He wore it throughout the engagement until he "replaced" it with a wedding band. We have matching titanium and rose gold bands. Very simple, but very nice. Also very hard to damage, since we both work with our hands so much (he's a PhD student).

GeneGoddess said:
I gave him a very nice celtic carved band in either silver or white gold (don't remember which). It wasn't "meant" to be an engagement ring, more of a replacement for an old ring he had broken. It just happened to be given as an XMas gift on the same day he proposed. He wore it throughout the engagement until he "replaced" it with a wedding band. We have matching titanium and rose gold bands. Very simple, but very nice. Also very hard to damage, since we both work with our hands so much (he's a PhD student).
I gave my husband a chain and my college ring when we got engaged as a way to "brand" him like he was "branding" me. ;)

I already mentioned it, but we now have matching titanium and white gold rings. :D