Question about hair length on men during interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ollivander

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So it's a while before I will be applying to dental schools, but I just had a quick question about hair length on men. I've recently started to grow it out to the length in the picture I will provide below this post. I was just curious if this is appropriate hair length for men during interviews, and if I'll get marked against because of my hair not being short. Thanks in advance.

tumblr_m15h0ntWM91qf12zxo1_500.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

I can guarantee that some people interviewing you likely won't care, but some very will could. No interviewers generally care if a interviewee shows up looking "professional" which typically means well dressed, "clean cut" and with hair of an "appropriate" length, some do care, and not in a good way, if an interviewee shows up looking in a way that they would consider "unprofessional"

If your facial hair is like that, get it groomed and trimmed. You can have a beard and mustache but you can't look like you just got up from bed and didn't care to groom yourself. For example, in the clinic, I know someone with an untrimmed beard who was pulled aside by a faculty and told about keeping up a certain appearance in front of patients. There's some older dentists that I know who want men to have short hair. It's unlikely that they'll reject you because of it but why take the chance when your hair will grow back if you cut it? I honestly don't think it should matter but I can't say that's the same for other people.

29a4255cc773182d7a03fa7cd0d93168.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If your facial hair is like that, get it groomed and trimmed. You can have a beard and mustache but you can't look like you just got up from bed and didn't care to groom yourself. For example, in the clinic, I know someone with an untrimmed beard who was pulled aside by a faculty and told about keeping up a certain appearance in front of patients. There's some older dentists that I know who want men to have short hair. It's unlikely that they'll reject you because of it but why take the chance when your hair will grow back if you cut it? I honestly don't think it should matter but I can't say that's the same for other people.

I do not have a mustache. I do have a beard, but I consider it "clean cut". It's a very thin chinstrap, but for an interview I'd probably shave most if not all of my facial hair. I was just concerned with the length of the hair on my head. I plan on showing up looking professional, but seeing how it takes a good year to grow my hair out to this length, that's why I was concerned with cutting it.

I do not have a mustache. I do have a beard, but I consider it "clean cut". It's a very thin chinstrap, but for an interview I'd probably shave most if not all of my facial hair. I was just concerned with the length of the hair on my head. I plan on showing up looking professional, but seeing how it takes a good year to grow my hair out to this length, that's why I was concerned with cutting it.

Man I feel you. I don't think it looks unprofessional but that is so subjective and idk if you should risk it. Old school dentists might not like it or they might not even care. If I were you, I would play it safe. I would hate to be rejected because of something so fixable. Bad grades or low DAT is another story. Good luck.

Just cut it for the interview. You can grow it back later.

It'll also take 1 yr to reapply lol.
I think I would at least tie it like Chris Hemsworth to make it look neat.

I normally 100% of the time keep the constant 'scruff' look going but of course shaved that for my interviews. I would play it safe and keep it clean, but that's just my opinion. Then again, it doesn't take me more than two days to re-grow the scruff. A lot of people (myself included) additionally stressed about their clothing choice and after going through this process I will say that it probably doesn't matter as long as it looks clean and professional. I remember reading people having a fit over black vs. blue vs. grey suits, what color socks to match with them, what color tie, etc. and in the grand scheme of things it probably doesn't matter as long as it's professional (don't go in there looking like a pimp with the pink suit and chains). Do what makes you feel comfortable and will allow you to most be yourself at the interview since they will be paying a lot of attention to your words.

I normally 100% of the time keep the constant 'scruff' look going but of course shaved that for my interviews. I would play it safe and keep it clean, but that's just my opinion. Then again, it doesn't take me more than two days to re-grow the scruff. A lot of people (myself included) additionally stressed about their clothing choice and after going through this process I will say that it probably doesn't matter as long as it looks clean and professional. I remember reading people having a fit over black vs. blue vs. grey suits, what color socks to match with them, what color tie, etc. and in the grand scheme of things it probably doesn't matter as long as it's professional (don't go in there looking like a pimp with the pink suit and chains). Do what makes you feel comfortable and will allow you to most be yourself at the interview since they will be paying a lot of attention to your words.

It's not the "scruff" I'm worried about. It's the length of the hair on my head.

Yeah I know I was chiming in on the topic of facial hair length as mentioned above. Sorry.

Reactions: 5 users
Post a picture and let me be the judge. If you truly have Kit Harington's hair, then by all means, keep it!

The problem is that some guys things their long locks are "luscious..." When really they look gross. :p

Reactions: 1 users
I had to make this tough decision as well. My hair was down to my shoulders and after growing it out for months, I grew very fond of my hair. I was so reluctant to cut my hair, I had to get two hair cuts within a week to get it as short as it needed to be... I could not bear to get it all chopped off at once. I can empathize with you.

Lets put it this way- the simple fact that you are asking us means you yourself have reservations about having long hair for interviews (obviously) and you have the feeling you should cut it.

Interviews were months ago, and I am happy to report my hair is coming along very nicely. By the time school starts, it should be right where I want it.
I actually thought that picture was you. how naive of me

Post a picture and let me be the judge. If you truly have Kit Harington's hair, then by all means, keep it!

The problem is that some guys things their long locks are "luscious..." When really they look gross. :p
My apologies for the confusion. I'm still in the process of growing it out. I went ahead and asked because my thought process was "Is this going to be worth it if I'm just going to have to cut it for interviews?" That is why I asked. I wasn't sure if I wanted to continue to grow it if I just have to cut it. But after seeing some of the responses I think I'm just going to keep at it and then cut it down slightly when interviews roll around. This thread was very helpful.