Question about required Calculus class ...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MaybePharmacist

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I searched the threads for any questions like this one, but I didn't find anything similar. Anyways, I took both calculus 1 and calculus 2 for those majoring in science, math, engineering, etc. This was when I was majoring in science and thinking about applying to medical school. However, I didn't do well in these classes and I later changed my major as well. Upon deciding that pharmacy was what I wanted to do, I realized that not all schools require calc 1 and 2 for majors as part of the pre-reqs. In fact, I'm thinking about taking the basic type of calculus (for non-majors), in which I could probably score an "A." This would really help out my GPA for pharmacy school. Do you think this is a good idea, especially if I only apply to schools that require only one semester of calculus? Or do you think that most schools prefer for students to have completed calculus for majors (either the first half or both)? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Way to weasle around it; although, I'm pretty sure most schools require the physics based calculus anyway. Ultimatley they are still going to see that you did poorly in those first calc classes, it's not like you can avoid reporting them.

It would show improvement if you got A's though I suppose. I would just forget it and focus on future classes.

I'm not trying to weasle around taking a required class. I was just curious as to which type of calculus class pharmacy schools required. If they require calculus for majors, then I would obviously repeat it in order to improve my grade. If they don't care, then I would take basic calculus. That's all I was asking.

Members don't see this ad :)
As one admissions dean told me, "Go up, not backwards." If you want to show that you know the stuff, take a HIGHER level course. They don't see the point in taking a lower level course that you have already passed. If you have NOT passed them, definitely retake at least Calc I.

Thanks for your reply Carboxide. I do agree with what the Dean told you. What I was thinking was that, if pharmacy schools didn't care which level of calculus was taken, then it would be beneficial for me to take the basic calculus class in order to help my pre-reqs GPA. Also, if they didn't care about which calculus class was taken, and I got an "A" in basic calculus, then it would be obvious that I do know "my stuff," right? And, if they didn't care which calculus level was taken, then why would it matter if I didn't do well in calculus for majors? If they only require basic calculus and I do well in basic calculus, then that's ok, right? Ok, I think I'm done with the questions now. Thanks!

Thanks for your reply Carboxide. I do agree with what the Dean told you. What I was thinking was that, if pharmacy schools didn't care which level of calculus was taken, then it would be beneficial for me to take the basic calculus class in order to help my pre-reqs GPA. Also, if they didn't care about which calculus class was taken, and I got an "A" in basic calculus, then it would be obvious that I do know "my stuff," right? And, if they didn't care which calculus level was taken, then why would it matter if I didn't do well in calculus for majors? If they only require basic calculus and I do well in basic calculus, then that's ok, right? Ok, I think I'm done with the questions now. Thanks!

Here you are saying you agree with what the dean said; yet, in the next instant, you're telling us you want to go against what the dean said.

Doing poorly in physics based calculus then turning around and taking "easy" calculus and doing well proves this: physics based calculus is too hard for you, but standard calculus is not. You went "backwards" to prove yourself incapable of doing well in the harder calc.

It's like me not being able to compete with my fellow 8th graders in basketball, switching to the 7th grade team, being the leading scorer, and attempting to boast about that to highschool recruiters.

I don't understand why you're being so rude Calisoca. From what I can see, you're already in pharmacy school, so it's not like I'll be competing against you for a spot or anything. So chill. This thread was just about me voicing my curiosity regarding what type of calculus pharmacy schools require. I wasn't sure about which level of calculus is required since most of the schools I've come across haven't elaborated on this point on the list of required pre-reqs. However, I plan on speaking with a pre-health advisor, as well as calling some of the pharmacy schools that I'm interested in in order to find this out. The only reason why I even considered taking basic calculus was because I saw that it was one of the required math options for a school that I'm interested in. I just thought that if some schools found taking basic calculus to be acceptable, then it would help me (and my GPA) out. However, if most schools require the higher-level calculus, then I'm also willing to retake it (note: I'm not trying to weasle my way out of it). And I have actually passed the higher-level calculus course with a "C," but I'm not satisfied with that.

I don't understand why you're being so rude Calisoca. From what I can see, you're already in pharmacy school, so it's not like I'll be competing against you for a spot or anything. So chill. This thread was just about me voicing my curiosity regarding what type of calculus pharmacy schools require. I wasn't sure about which level of calculus is required since most of the schools I've come across haven't elaborated on this point on the list of required pre-reqs. However, I plan on speaking with a pre-health advisor, as well as calling some of the pharmacy schools that I'm interested in in order to find this out. The only reason why I even considered taking basic calculus was because I saw that it was one of the required math options for a school that I'm interested in. I just thought that if some schools found taking basic calculus to be acceptable, then it would help me (and my GPA) out. However, if most schools require the higher-level calculus, then I'm also willing to retake it (note: I'm not trying to weasle my way out of it). And I have actually passed the higher-level calculus course with a "C," but I'm not satisfied with that.

I do not think Calisoca was being rude - just honest. And Calisoca was kind of right in that you did contradict yourself in that post. Doing well in basic calculus on its own would show that you know "your stuff" (as you said). But since they will always see the bad harder calculus grades, it would still look like you were not ready for the more difficult calc class. They may not care though (some schools do not emphasize the math requirements while some require more math) but it would look better to get an A by retaking the harder calc.

Did you take the PCAT yet? Having a good math section will help (especially if it is > 90th percentile)

And if you want to know what calculus schools require, look it up on the pharmcas directory. Some do require calculus and/or physics for majors. If it is not clear then there is a link to the school's official site. There should be an extended pre-req information there. If not, then email admissions about which calculus/physics is needed. I know that some schools only require 1 calc course and 1 physics course and some allow you to take survey of calculus type courses. But some require calculuis based physics and 2 semesters of calc. So it depends on the school.

Um, he accused me of attempting to weasle my way out of something ... that just doesn't sit well with me. And if he just wanted to be honest, then he could have said "most schools probably prefer calculus for majors" or something like that. Anyways, although I do agree with what that Dean said, if some schools don't care about the level of calculus taken, then why shouldn't I take the basic level? However, if all schools require calculus for majors, then that's what I would obviously take. I still plan on contacting the schools that I'm interested in in order to be sure about these requirements. I haven't taken the PCAT yet, but I start the Kaplan prep classes next week, so I'll be taking it in October ... so we'll see how I do on the math section. Thanks.

Anyways, although I do agree with what that Dean said, if some schools don't care about the level of calculus taken, then why shouldn't I take the basic level?

You have to get a thicker skin.

The above posters answered this for you. Because any pharmacy school you attempt to get into is going to see this as a flag. It's not going to cripple your admissions package, it's just easier to have them see that you attempted the course again and passed. If you take business calc, it's pretty much a gimme that you're going to have to explain your actions in front of the committee.

If your explanation is anything like your responses to criticism on here, you might want to practice first. :D

Yea, maybe I do need to develop a thicker skin. I just don't see the point of being rude when a question can be answered without all of that. Oh well. However, this has all got me thinking that maybe I should just retake calculus for majors after all. Thanks guys.

Yea, maybe I do need to develop a thicker skin. I just don't see the point of being rude when a question can be answered without all of that. Oh well. However, this has all got me thinking that maybe I should just retake calculus for majors after all. Thanks guys.

I thought he/she was rude at first too when I first joined but he/she is just a straight forward person that doesn't sugar-coat the truth. Just like my fellow posters elaborated on above, you need to prove to the AdCom that you can handle Pharm. School. None of the courses in your professional years will not be easy (or so I imagine). So, don't try to find an easy solution to the problem. Retake the course and prove yourself wrong because I think you can do it. :thumbup:

Thanks Delano! I guess it's just better to take a harder course over an easier one when possible, especially if some schools require the harder version ... that way you're covered no matter which school you apply to.