Question about starting the HPSP process

Started by DD214_DOC
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

DD214_DOC

Full Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Since I got sick and ****ed up my organic II final, the highest my GPA can be at the end of the summer is a 3.29. Haven't taken the MCAT yet (August). Fortunately my DO gpa is a lot higher, so I stand a chance of getting in.

Anyways, should I go ahead and start the HPSP application process with a 3.29 or just wait until and if I get a letter of acceptance from somewhere?
 
You can certainly get the ball rolling by contacting the recruiter, meeting with them and starting the paperwork - LOR, MCAT/school transcripts, writing your essay, physical. The paperwork alone is another application process.

But, your package will not go any further, i.e., to the selection board until you have an acceptance letter in hand.

However, if you haven't met with the HPSP recruiter yet, do so if you have the time.
 
Is this standard procedure? For some reason, I thought people were typically chosen by the selection committe before a letter of acceptance was a factor.

I guess it would make sense the way you described, though.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
JKDMed said:
Is this standard procedure? For some reason, I thought people were typically chosen by the selection committe before a letter of acceptance was a factor.

I guess it would make sense the way you described, though.

Perhaps it varies by region, but back in Boston, they will certainly talk to you, start the paperwork, etc., but your application doesn't go to the selection committee until you have an acceptance letter.

The different services have different 'automatic' selection criteria as well (MCAT/GPA). Again, this may be a regional thing, but I'm thinking not.
 
Don't wait, get your transcripts in, go to MEPS, etc. Army has automatic selection based on MCAT and GPA; AF I believe does not. The early board dates for AF make it that much more of a time crunch to get that acceptance letter AND have to worry about doing all of the HPSP application process in, oh say, the same week...

I did hear, however, that some AF applicants out of my recruiting station were approved for HPSP but ultimately had to be declined because their acceptance letter didn't come through.

My first acceptance letter came through on the last possible day to go to the first AF board. I faxed it to my recruiter, who faxed it to San Antonio to complete the rest of my application which was filed already.

Didnt you say you were prior service?
 
JKDMed, you should have taken April MCAT esp for HPSP and medical school admission... Anyways talk to your recruiter, but I am sure you can only apply for HPSP after you get into a medical school (requirement). Sooner you get in somewhere better your chance for HPSP which does not help this with Aug Mcat score. Meanwhile spend sometime learning military medicine before applying.

Good Luck to you.

MS III (HPSP) & Prior Enlisted.
 
not that you should wait as long as I did.....but I'm AF HPSP and I got my acceptance letter to my med school in Mid Feb of 2002. In the acceptance letter package, were the offers from the various branches for the scholarship. I called the Navy and AF recruiters, and decided to only apply AF. I got my package put together in less than 2 weeks, before the last deadline for the board to meet. I was interviewed over the phone by a Major at the closest base, who then also recommended me to the committee. Oh, I had also taken the August MCAT.......

So, even at that late stage in the game, I still got the scholarship. If i had done it earlier, I would have gone to officer training last summer, before med school started. Instead, I am going this summer.

I would recommend starting early so you don't have to scramble. And you will also have time to apply to various branches if you want.

And from what i was told with the AF, you MUST have an acceptance letter for the board to review your package. Otherwise, they could select you over someone else, and then you never get accepted....and the other guy that wasn't chosen is SOL.

Best of luck!
 
I was signed up to take the April MCAT but couldn't, so I'm stuck with August.

Any experience in recruiters just not going with the process because of a perceived, "Waste of time" for someone with a 3.2-3.3 gpa?
 
JKDMed said:
I was signed up to take the April MCAT but couldn't, so I'm stuck with August.

Any experience in recruiters just not going with the process because of a perceived, "Waste of time" for someone with a 3.2-3.3 gpa?


If you want to be in the military here's you're first lesson: don't take NO for an answer. There's a "waiver" for everything. Pursue your goal and if you get a slug for a recruiter, start asking questions and get the answers yourself. In the AF, you have to call at least 6-9 people everytime you want a simple answer to one question. Just put your application in the mix and see what happens. Don't sideline yourself because you perceive your scores, GPA, etc. are not good enough.
 
If that GPA is happend to be good enough for a medical school it isn't going to waste anyone's time. Getting into a medical school is a big hurdle...Instead of worrying over your grades right now work on stuff that is within your control--MCAT. 👍